The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Default mini review: Color Tone wipe-on poly

I bought some of this from StewMac

I love Stewmac finishing materials and have had great luck with them. I use the rattle can nitrocellulose lacquer all the time and love their stains and finishing products.

This one is tricky, however.

It is an aqueous polyurethane. It truly has no smell and it dries quickly.

I applied in under perfect conditions at 70degF and 42%rh. The bottle was stabilized at temp for three days and I shook it thoroughly. I followed the instructions meticulously.

One problem is that it goes on very thin - much thinner than "normal" wipe ons.

The bigger problem, however, is that if the surface is overly smooth, there isn't have enough surface energy to wet the liquid and the liquid's surface tension makes it bead like water on a waxed car.

Because of this, it draws together and clumps as its drying so you get blobs and drips where there is no runs (like the middle of a flat surface).

So, if you use this, be very patient and careful - do not over sand your surface before applying it.

After totally discarding their instructions and reworking my project over the weekend I formulated my own instructions that seem to work very well now.

Originally I was really, really upset with this material.

The trick is that you have to expect it to go on ultra thin and to put on 2-4X as many coats as a "normal" finish, each time before level sanding.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 02-25-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if a wash coat of de-waxed shellac would help with the surface tension on raw wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair