The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
Must be pretty close to 24 hours now, oh the agony waiting for the shots.

Ludwig
"The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last." - Oscar Wilde

Hey! That box warmed up yet??
Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I think the worst is when you are tracking a package and it suddenly shows up as "delivered" when it wasn't delivered to you. I've had that happen twice recently. If you look up "frustration" in the dictionary, you will find the 800 number for Fed Ex customer service.
Agreed. That happened to me to about 10 years ago. It was delivered to one of my neighbors and when I knocked on the door he not only had opened the box but was sitting there playing the guitar and wearing the hat that the dealer had included! He claimed that he thought that his parents had sent the guitar to his son as a gift even though my name was clearly on the box.

Rob
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Wink I use FedEx regularly...

and no issues! Knock on wood.

Now Brown, that’s another thing. Years ago I bought a used DB Signature OM from Dave’s up in Wisconsin. Ordered it on Dec 12th like 5 years ago. They ship UPS and I thought it would get to me in Austin prior to Christmas. It got stuck 5 days in Chicago due to ice - lovely! So now we’re leaving town for the holidays. I contact UPS and get it redirected to Vegas, to my daughter’s home. After that it sat another 2 days at the N IL sort facility and they did NOT redirect it! It went all the way to Austin and then off to Vegas. By that time, we’re returning home. So, let’s try again. After a couple more weeks, I thought they lost it. On Jan 20 of the following year, it showed up. Now that it was in shipment for near 40 days, I waited about 12 hours to open it, no more patience. It had a 6” back crack in the MRW from the tail up. Dave’s offered to take it back or $200 comp.

Three years ago, I bought a beautiful used Stephen Kinnaird nylon crossover in BRW from Ted at LA Guitars. He gave me a great price too. I told him I did not want to go UPS, but he insisted. UPS shipped it cross country on a freight train, that derailed in N FL. UPS reported that the shipment would be destroyed, not delivered. Ted refunded me immediately, but that never made up for that BRW beauty that I never held in my own hands.

Yes, wait the 24 hours and be grateful! Best wishes, JD
Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 PM

A couple of years ago I ordered a uke from Sweetwater. When I opened the box, the headstock was lying next to the neck! Called them and they overnighted a new one, along with a paid shipping label to return the broken one. So, the next day, the new one arrives, looks great, and I plug it in....and hear am radio coming through my amp! Another phone call, another uke overnighted(I had plans to use this uke for a performance that weekend). The third uke arrived in great shape and everything worked. Can't say enough about Sweetwater's stellar customer service!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Agreed. That happened to me to about 10 years ago. It was delivered to one of my neighbors and when I knocked on the door he not only had opened the box but was sitting there playing the guitar and wearing the hat that the dealer had included! He claimed that he thought that his parents had sent the guitar to his son as a gift even though my name was clearly on the box.

Rob
That cracked me up! Could totally picture that...especially in Newport! Ole HB'er here.
scott
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Remember that during shipment from hub to hub, the guitar is in an 18-wheeler's unheated trailer, for as many as five days, coast to coast. Over mountain passes, across snowy plains. Plenty of time to get really, really cold (meaning that the wood and finish have slowly contracted that whole time).

Also appreciate that the case acts like a cooler to keep cold air trapped inside. Even if the temperature inside the box is warm enough, it might still be too cold inside the case.

I have seen far too many weather-checked guitars that did not deserve that fate. Better safe than sorry, unless you happen to like weather-checking.
Two big thumbs up!!
scott
Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
A shout out to UPS

I recently moved from CT to CA and had UPS pack and ship my guitars - they did a stellar job - the boxes were top notch (better than anything used by Martin or Taylor; rock-hard, threaded cardboard; I kept them they are so good) and the guitars were bubble-wrapped with no skimping on material - thanks UPS
Man, you went from one nuthouse to the other!
scott
Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 PM

This has been around for a while, but, it's good for a smile.

It gives you an idea of how shippers might handle your guitar.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Not shipping but it does involve air travel with guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
I think one of the most graceful moves I ever saw at the airport was when a baggage train was going past the gate were I was waiting to board and a bag fell off the baggage train.

The Train made a big circle and with out stopping the driver grabbed the bag and just threw it straight up what seemed like about 50 feet and it landed in about the 3rd or 4th baggage cart behind the tow tractor.

What gracefulness, what timing, what form, what a sack of kindling it would have been if it was an acoustic guitar in a gig bag.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
Must be pretty close to 24 hours now, oh the agony waiting for the shots.

Ludwig
Ah, I opened it up and here's what happened after that.

First, it's a Santa Cruz 00 in torrified Sitka and Macassar ebony. It is beautiful and plays as easy as any guitar I've ever had in my hand. The finish and craftsmanship is superb. But I sent it back today.

Because the tone was too strange for me. I did my research on what this wood combination should sound like and thought it would be pleasing. But it wasn't. It felt like there was a big hole in the sound spectrum. Something was missing, something I need.

The bass was anemic and underpowered, making the guitar feel unbalanced toward the treble, and yet it was also anything but bright. It sounded very flat. It was very difficult to get any emotion in the sound. It was dry, dampened and dull. There are those out there who like this wood combination, but not a whole lot, and there are others, as I found out now, who caution people to steer away from it.

I read about it being like rosewood with overtones and good sustain. I'll give it the sustain thumbs up; you could pluck a string before dinner and it would still be vibrating after dinner. But overtones? Hardly. I guess you could call it fundamental, but fundamental to what I don't know, because guys, it didn't sound like a six-string guitar. It honestly sounded like something that wanted to be but several pages of the instruction book got lost and they winged it in parts.

I'm not criticizing SCGC at all. I absolutely ADORE their stuff. It's just this one guitar didn't do it for me. At all.

Right now they are waiting for it and I have a Rosewood/Euro-spruce combo on hold in 000. That's another story as I'd like to stick with 00, but they had a 000 short scale in stock so I'm thinking it will be very close. The only differences are about 1/2" of extra body size and 24.9 instead of 24.75.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Bruce, was that guitar in a bar fight?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:45 AM

I'll bet it plays equally well L/H or R/H now. On Craig's list that would be good condition with some surface imperfections.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
A shout out to UPS

I recently moved from CT to CA and had UPS pack and ship my guitars - they did a stellar job - the boxes were top notch (better than anything used by Martin or Taylor; rock-hard, threaded cardboard; I kept them they are so good) and the guitars were bubble-wrapped with no skimping on material - thanks UPS
That has been my experience as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion