The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

Default strings: hybrid nylon strung guitars

The hybrid nylon string guitars have seemed to come from two different perspectives. The Rainsong Parlor, with its narrow nut width, obviously appeals to steel string guitar players. The Blackbird Rider, with its wide nut width obviously appeals to classical nylon players. Hybrid strings, too, seem to reach out to either steel or nylon players.

I've been interested in the Thomastik-Infeld strings as a hybrid string option--reasonably low tension for nylon strung guitars, but with steel hearts. I tried the folk TIs and found them great for blues and general folk. But the treble e was such a contrast to the rest of the strings that I gave them up.

A forum member mentioned the TI KR116 as a more consistent string and I just gave them a try. They are marvelous for blues and such. But they lose the nylon warmth.

I've felt the same with high tension nylon strings--they seem to lose the warmth I associate with the nylon string guitar.

And so, on my nylon strung CF guitars, I prefer the normal tension strings. I find the trebles to be a little weak, but the overall tonal qualities support my sense of tone.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:15 PM

I definitely relate to the delicate sound of pure nylon. I have also noticed you stating a liking for medium tension strings. Since lower tension strings benefit from a slightly longer scale, would you consider bumping your X7N scale up a bit? Not much, but maybe up from the current 632mm to 635mm? I think it would be a friendlier length for the lower tension pure nylon strings.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:22 AM

I wasn't sure you would like them Evan.

For me they are perfect. Even on my 636mm scale guitar, I can get a very low relief and currently have 2.5mm high E to 3.25mm low E action. Very comfortable indeed.

I had the high E break on me when I changed the strings out too many times. So while waiting for a replacement, I put on a 0.6mm carbon High E, and the set still sounded nicely balanced.

Maybe it's because I'm currently using them on cedar top guitars, which are mellow. Carbon fibre might bring out extra brightness in them? The John Pearse set High E is definitely too bright though, the KR116 high E is better.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

To all:

I've enjoyed, and profited from, your input on my nylon string mania. I see myself as a very small player in an international community. I am at an age of indulgence and the nylon string guitar is one of my fascinations. And so, I support the revolution occurring with carbon fiber lutherie. The rest of you have made the fascination real with your advice, your knowledge, and your sense of sound. And of course, Alistair is there, pushing hard in the frontier. Got to love it.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
To all:

my nylon string mania.
Well put Unc
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber