The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Re: the JM3000 -- isn't it AZLiberty that often mentions the lack of a truss rod making it unable to tune his to E-e standard pitch without excess relief? Something to consider....
I think she has mentioned that, but I don't think it's a widespread issue - my WS3000 has been at concert pitch since I got it and the relief is fine.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

If I were starting a CF 12 string search today, I'd start with Emerald. I love my RainSong, but I've had two Emeralds now and they are exquisite.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM

FWIW, some 30 years ago I had a Takamine 12-er but sold it after a year or two of experimenting. Later I moved up to a Seagull 12 string with a cedar top, with nicely mellowed the "jangly" nature of a twelve string. I was pretty happy with that one, and only replaced it when I ran across a good deal on a Taylor 354-LTD, which I've had since 2001.

The Emerald X20-12 has considerable appeal, but I'm sticking with my Taylor -- for now. This seems to be the only option in the CF world at the moment, unless you find a used Rainsong.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I think he has mentioned that, but I don't think it's a widespread issue - my WS3000 has been at concert pitch since I got it and the relief is fine.
Same here. My WS-1000 neck relief never varies perceptibly, and I use medium gauge strings in standard and about six alternate tunings. I was just pointing it out, anticipating the comment. The WS-3000 does not have a truss rod - that is an N2 neck thing, and Rainsong never made any N2 twelve strings.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The WS-3000 does not have a truss rod - that is an N2 neck thing, and Rainsong never made any N2 twelve strings.
Unfortunately.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-10-2017, 09:33 PM

I confess I absolutely love good 12-strings. I'll make sure to post a complete review with video and audio of the Leviora 12 when it comes out.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
Down in beautiful Key West on vacation and getting ready to enjoy the Nashville Songwriters Festival.

I've owned 2 different ws3000 rainsong 12 strings and 1 Jumo Rainsong 12 string. Great guitars with nothing really to complain about.

Having said that I no longer own any of them after getting an Emerald x20 12 string. The neck plays a little easier and to my ears sounds more open and less compressed. To me it's a nicer guitar overall and has kept me from wanting anything else in a carbon 12. It's just about perfect in every way.
I just got my X20-12 and really, really love it. However, the last 12 string I had was a Yamaha about 30 years ago, so I don't have a good reference point.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 PM

I've a Martin j 12 40 since the 80's. Two fret job still sweet. Fights me to get the sounds I want. Rosewood is so dictatorial. Alas Earl is correct and Young Alistar is the only game in town for 12's. I recommend a chimera. They look so cool.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
I've a Martin j 12 40 since the 80's. Two fret job still sweet. Fights me to get the sounds I want. Rosewood is so dictatorial. Alas Earl is correct and Young Alistar is the only game in town for 12's. I recommend a chimera. They look so cool.
Yes....the chimera is the way I would go if I were to do it again though happy with my JM1000/3000 pair... But if I were to retire and set sail whether by boat or RV.... first thing I would do is consolidate and buy a chimera and go all in with a woodie version and K&K if possible.... dreaming the big dream!!! Ahhhh as I peer out my office window waiting for my next conference call.....
Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Yes....the chimera is the way I would go if I were to do it again though happy with my JM1000/3000 pair... But if I were to retire and set sail whether by boat or RV.... first thing I would do is consolidate and buy a chimera and go all in with a woodie version and K&K if possible.... dreaming the big dream!!! Ahhhh as I peer out my office window waiting for my next conference call.....
Although I am already a Chimaera owner, I share your dream and am currently turning it into reality.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Although I am already a Chimaera owner, I share your dream and am currently turning it into reality.
Awesome!!! Good to know that it is even possible..... now you have me googling woodie Chimaeras!!! Is that the proper usage... what is the plural for this model.... hahahah Chimaeries??? We should ask the expert... Evan...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Awesome!!! Good to know that it is even possible..... now you have me googling woodie Chimaeras!!! Is that the proper usage... what is the plural for this model.... hahahah Chimaeries??? We should ask the expert... Evan...
How 'bout "Chimaeri"?

My wife and I are Canadian and retired in early 2012. Later that year I ordered my first amber Chimaera. We had been sailing locally (just a little Catalina 22 cabin boat) with a plan to hone our skills and buy a Gemini 105 catamaran and cruise the Caribbean during winters. Our sailing plan changed, we then planned to buy an RV with Harley in-tow (I bought the Harley...Road King...and rode for two years to get my riding skills back), then when our Cdn $ was at-par with the U.S. buck, we changed our plan again and bought a vacation home in SW Florida that we have enjoyed since. I have been bringing the Chimaera with me (checked baggage in hardshell case). We may still indulge ourselves with sailing and RV/biking plans, time will tell, but we like having a solid southern base from which to play.

I have become greatly smitten with the Emerald cocobolo veneer guitars and could not resist...I have chosen my wood set and have a new 6/12 Chimaera presently in the works! I don't plug in much so the Baggs Lyric in mine didn't get a proper try. I thought I might want a Baggs Anthem SL in a new one, and even thought of a K&K, but although I'd rather not be able to see any electronics, I'll likely be trusting Alistair's decision to install Baggs iMix in "Chimaeri" as his view of the best electronics solution for dealing with the two necks.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-11-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
How 'bout "Chimaeri"?

My wife and I are Canadian and retired in early 2012. Later that year I ordered my first amber Chimaera. We had been sailing locally (just a little Catalina 22 cabin boat) with a plan to hone our skills and buy a Gemini 105 catamaran and cruise the Caribbean during winters. Our sailing plan changed, we then planned to buy an RV with Harley in-tow (I bought the Harley...Road King...and rode for two years to get my riding skills back), then when our Cdn $ was at-par with the U.S. buck, we changed our plan again and bought a vacation home in SW Florida that we have enjoyed since. I have been bringing the Chimaera with me (checked baggage in hardshell case). We may still indulge ourselves with sailing and RV/biking plans, time will tell, but we like having a solid southern base from which to play.

I have become greatly smitten with the Emerald cocobolo veneer guitars and could not resist...I have chosen my wood set and have a new 6/12 Chimaera presently in the works! I don't plug in much so the Baggs Lyric in mine didn't get a proper try. I thought I might want a Baggs Anthem SL in a new one, and even thought of a K&K, but although I'd rather not be able to see any electronics, I'll likely be trusting Alistair's decision to install Baggs iMix in "Chimaeri" as his view of the best electronics solution for dealing with the two necks.
Well, that is just SO cool - two (count 'em - TWO) Chimaeri!

With the occasional question of "Does the wood veneer affect the guitar experience (paraphrasing)?" OMG - yes! It makes you want to play even more! My guess is: there is some kind of addictive agent in the veneer... seriously, I am spending way more time playing. And, when not playing the X20, I look at the X20 while playing the X7! But, it's not a problem... really... I could stop any time... you know, if I really wanted to.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
At least you have a window.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Office window... my last office window was from the helm of a commercial boat. It didn't suck, but the whole "retire and set sail by boat or RV" is still my favorite. And, a carbon fiber guitar is a good "travel accessory." You have the guitars, how's the plan for the retiring part?

Sorry for wandering off-topic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber