The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Default madagascer or honduras

I am wondering about the attributes of Madagascer and honduras rosewood. Excuse my poor spelling but can any generalizations made about these woods.{ Used in guitar back and sides}
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Generalizations are difficult, especially when the terms can apply to such a wide range of species. Madagascar Rosewood (when speaking about instruments) is _usually_ meant to refer to a few specific species commonly used in guitar building but even within those species there is a considerable difference. I have 25-30 sets of Madagascar Rosewood and they vary quite a bit in density and surface texture. If a client asked me to make a generalization I would have to insist it be based on specific sets and not the species in general.

That is being a bit picky, of course, as they are all more similar than any one set is to maple, or koa. I prefer the nicer sets of Dalbergia Baronii that I have and they are light in weight, not overly oily, have a crisp and hard texture, and ring very well when struck.

All the true Honduras rosewood I have (Dalbergia Stevensonii) is more similar than not and one of the more consistent rosewoods I have encountered. I think it makes a slightly heavy guitar that has powerful volume and a slightly bright edge to the tone, at least initially, and if not tempered. I like it quite a bit and have many sets I look forward to using.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Or did you mean Madagascar Ebony. (Edit: Opps I see you were specific with Rosewood.)

Last edited by BBWW; 12-06-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 AM

As a player I like Honduran Rosewood quite a bit. Awhile back I commissioned a custom build and decided on Honduran Rosewood over Brazilian and Madagascar .. and couldn't be more pleased with the result. Keep in mind that both D. Stevensonii and D. Tucarensis are sold as Honduran. Mine was Stevensonii from Belize, available from John Griffin at Old Standard Wood. Quartersawn sets can be found .. it is generally quite dense and will likely produce a guitar on the heavy side. Having played many Brazilian rosewood guitars over 43 years, mostly Martins and some vintage Larsons, I would describe the tone of mine as being like Brazilian on steroids ..

Pic of the wood ... classic straight-grained, old growth:

Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
As a player I like Honduran Rosewood quite a bit. Awhile back I commissioned a custom build and decided on Honduran Rosewood over Brazilian and Madagascar .. and couldn't be more pleased with the result. Keep in mind that both D. Stevensonii and D. Tucarensis are sold as Honduran. Mine was Stevensonii from Belize, available from John Griffin at Old Standard Wood. Quartersawn sets can be found .. it is generally quite dense and will likely produce a guitar on the heavy side. Having played many Brazilian rosewood guitars over 43 years, mostly Martins and some vintage Larsons, I would describe the tone of mine as being like Brazilian on steroids ..

Pic of the wood ... classic straight-grained, old growth:

That really is fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:13 PM

Default almost wood selection time.

I read with great interest you post on honduran Stevensonii.Any more thoughts on this topic. I didn't want a guitar that weighs a lot,but the other attributes are somewhat thrilling to me. Tom
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Who's the builder?

What size/style?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Or did you mean Madagascar Ebony. (Edit: Opps I see you were specific with Rosewood.)
Macassar ebony perhaps?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM

frquent flyer ... all other things being equal, the HRW guitar is likely to be heavier than the MRW guitar .. on average. My own ear places HRW (Stevensonii) fairly close to cocobolo voicewise. You can reasonably expect power, clarity, brightness and ringing sustain from the trebles. Your builder should be able to relate his/her experience and results with the woods you are considering. In the end, both HRW and MRW are more alike than they are different ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop