The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 AM

Inspiring beautiful work as usual Joel!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Default More updates-things are getting serious now

Joel sent me what are the most exciting photos in my opinion so far. Of course, all of them have been exciting but now the body is together and I can see what the guitar will look like. And me likey a lot!!!!

Joel hard at work. I've got to ask him but it looks like he using another high-tech sanding tool or something like that.

And the body shots! I told him early on that I wanted the carpathian top we chose to be a nice creamy color that is very uniform and I think this shot shows he nailed it.

And the back shots as well. When he suggested and I agreed to the walnut binding and bevel I had trouble really picturing what it would look like. I was afraid the contrast to the back and sides would not be enough but I trusted his recommendation once again and Joel keeps coming through.

And I love the bevel!

I guess it's on to the neck and fretboard at this point. Both are well underway and look great as well. I'm counting the days down at this point!

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 11-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

David, that is really coming along beautifully! I agree, the bevel looks wonderful!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Miniature Banzai trees in the window!
Joel's shop looks like a great place to spend a lot of time. Thanks for the inside view.
This guitar is shaping up to be yet another gorgeous Stehr guitar. I'm ALWAYS impressed by Joel's guitars. Everything about them is beautiful and inspiring.

This Malaysian Blackwood really gets my pulse rate up. I've built three guitars with this wood, and in my opinion, the best sets of it are equal in beauty and tone to the best Brazilian Rosewood. This guitar is going to be something special!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Since I've only been playing about 3 years I think I'm definitely buying a Ferrari to go along with my Pinto skills.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Great looking instrument. Even though I seem to go for the simplest of appointments with my guitars, it never fails to thrill me just how physically beautiful some luthiers can make an instrument. Wow! This one is a real work of art. Congratulations!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk63 View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. Since I've only been playing about 3 years I think I'm definitely buying a Ferrari to go along with my Pinto skills.
David, so funny that you say this. I've been playing 40 years, but it seems like I really played 2 years, 20 times over. I feel I don't have nearly enough of a skill set to get the most out of an instrument of this caliber. Even so, if you can afford it and enjoy it, and you find it inspiring to own something like this, then that's really all that matters. I don't think the guitar alone will make me a better player, but I do take it out much more often, and playing often will make me a better player. I hope you find inspiration and joy in the owning!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

In my opinion, everyone who aspires to be a guitar player, or already is one, should try to acquire the best instrument possible-- one that will make the learning/ playing process as effortless and rewarding as possible. There should never be any guilt about this!

When I was a junior-highschooler, I decided I wanted to play guitar, but I could only manage to get my hands on a succession of beat-up old junkers that made it hard, even painful, to try to make something resembling music. I wound up giving it up, several times, but always came back and tried again. It wasn't until I got a chance to borrow a Sadao Yairi copy of a 30's Martin 0-18 while I was in college that I actually began to gain some skill. This was a great little guitar, and it changed my life!
Since then, I've been on a never-ending quest, upping the guitar ante. I'm just finishing up the building of my 80th guitar right now.

I don't consider my playing skills to be worthy of a Stehr guitar either-- but if I had the chance to get one of my own, YOU BET I WOULD!
I don't care if you only know three chords and one picking pattern; if you can play a guitar as stellar as a Stehr, YOU WILL BECOME A MUCH BETTER PLAYER.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 PM

I agree with you both. two of the biggest reasons I chose to have a custom guitar made were 1) I liked the thought of having something that was uniquely mine and 2) having such a fine instrument would inspire me to become a better player. I've continued to take lessons since I started 3 years ago mostly on, some off and about 3 months ago I told my instructor that I wanted to learn to play a couple of songs that would challenge me beyond my comfort level and be special and fun to play on my new Stehr. So, I've learned a couple of Larry Pattis' songs as I'm really impressed with his playing. I'm still working on them but getting better with each week and plan to make them the first two tunes I play when I get the guitar.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Final shots before finish

I got the last round of pictures from Joel today before the guitar goes of to finish.

The neck is peruvian walnut with maple strips in between.

And the glamour shots. I'm really excited to see how it will transform under finish. I think it looks awesome just as it is!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Default wow!

i really love the wooden leaf inlays. nothing is overdone on this guitar!
unbelievable! congrats!

Come & Gone:
2014 Stehr GA Madagascar Rosewood/Carpathian Spruce
2012 Taylor Presentation Series Fall Limited - Sinker Redwood, Macassar Ebony
2012 Taylor GS Mini - Mahogany
2009 Taylor T5 Custom 2 - Cocobolo
2006 Taylor 814ce
1997 Gibson EC10
1995 Washburn ???

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcharis View Post
i really love the wooden leaf inlays. nothing is overdone on this guitar!
unbelievable! congrats!
True dat! Joel has a very distinctive aesthetic. The artistic embellishments are always tasteful and "just right", and he really lets the woods tell the story. I have never seen a dis-harmonious element on ANY Stehr guitar. They ALL invoke that feeling of satisfaction you get from balance and elegance.

There are a lot of builders who are creating a new, 21st-century aesthetic for the acoustic guitar. I'm a member of that school also; but I consider Joel to be one of the best. These are the emerging new traditions in guitar design, and will be regarded by history as the 21st century standard of beauty in the luthier's art.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wanted to add also, the Peruvian Walnut neck looks perfect with the other woods. Perfect!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Finish has begun

I got an update from Joel today provided by the finisher. The pore fill is done and the sealer then polyester finish will start soon. Joel thinks he may have it back in a couple of weeks, maybe less.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow that looks really stellar. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop