The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Strings seem to matter on every guitar and are a personal choice. I will off course start out with the Elixir Nanoweb PB lights that it comes with; but like all instruments, I will see what works for me and lasts in a moist environment.
I mostly put Ernie Ball "Everlast" strings (phosphor bronze) on mine. The new version of the Everlast strings are the "Paradigm" strings. I quite like them so far, but I'm still on my first set.

I also liked the feel and sound of Martin Retro monel strings, but they don't last as long.

I love how my RainSong is completely indifferent to all environmental conditions. But my absolute favorite thing about carbon fiber is how I clean it every time I change the strings. I use Windex and a paper towel. Does a great job, and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I recommend it.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

I use mostly GHS Phosphor Bronze on my wood guitars. On some I use the GHS LJ PB to brighten some up. But honestly Martin, D'Addario and John Pearse all sound good so I switch from time to time as they go on sale. I do use Martin Retros on one of my maple guitars as well. On my acoustic archtops I use Martin 80/20s and Thomastik Infeld BeBops and Swings.

I will experiment with this guitar and see what sounds best. I expect due to its use at my summer cottage some extended life string will be were I end up, but I will use my ears to guide me.

One question: to my surprise the guitar comes with a truss rod. I would have thought the neck relief would not change if I decide to use a set of balanced lights with a heavier B and E strings (e.g. .017" and .013" vs. .016" and .012") with the added tension. Is this a correct assumption?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

my buddy has one....really great guitar!

you might add Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum strings to your list to try. 12s.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
One question: to my surprise the guitar comes with a truss rod. I would have thought the neck relief would not change if I decide to use a set of balanced lights with a heavier B and E strings (e.g. .017" and .013" vs. .016" and .012") with the added tension. Is this a correct assumption?
I think that's correct. The carbon fiber neck is very stiff and strong—the truss rod is only included to allow the owner to set their preferred relief. It's not needed for reinforcement.

But you should probably email RainSong to be sure. Dave handles all user support. He gets back quickly and is always happy to answer questions.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Initial Impressions

Double post, moderators please delete...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-27-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Initial Impressions

This Rainsong Concert Hybrid OM is great solution to my need for an inert, stable guitar for playing at our summer cottage by the sea that is impervious to hot n' humid conditions. I purchased an acoustic only version without a pickup or electronics. For context, this is my one and only carbon fiber guitar experience, so I have no basis for comparison with other CF guitars, but I do own wood guitars by some of the world's top luthiers. The guitar certainly has its own stealth aesthetic with the unidirectional black carbon top, woven carbon fiber/fiberglas cloth construction with a graphite bridge, black TUSQ nut/saddle/, pins and tuners.

It is light weight guitar (3.58 lb.), is balanced when held in a playing position and not neck heavy. The neck profile has a bit of "meat" to its cross section and I find it quite comfortable to play. The satin finish of the less costly Concert Hybrid Series to the back of the neck is also great under hand for playing in a humid environment. The Venetian cutaway provides good access above the 12th fret to notes in the upper registers. The neck relief and intonation seems on target and are very comfortable to play. The overall build quality appears very good. The top is quite thin particularly near the rims and a subtle change in the top surface can be visually noticed near its perimeter (see photo). This might bother some, but not me. The 18:1 Gotoh tuners are excellent with very little backlash. The Access Stage III case is also quite decent for the guitar's price point, with good sized accessory pocket.

In the grand scheme of guitars, this Rainsong is a "good" sounding guitar definitely worthy of playing, performing with and enjoying; but it is by no means a profoundly "great" guitar. If you are seeking the goal of ethereal tone, go find a wood guitar at a higher price point and deal with the inherent stability challenges that come along for the ride. That said, I am very pleased with the sound of my Rainsong and I am really enjoying playing it!
  • It has a bright, clear timbre with high end sparkle and a focused bass.
  • It possesses excellent string-to-string clarity and balance in volume.
  • It also retains its timbral character in its upper registers which many guitars do not.
  • It has as an amazingly fast attack with notes that surge to peak volume and jump from the guitar with cut, projection and decay slowly with long sustain.
  • It is quite responsive to varying touch retaining its character even with the lightest of picking and has high headroom when one digs in.
  • It has some level of euphonic warmth to its sound that is musical in nature in its own way, but it is different than the warmth found in a fine wood guitar in my opinion. The sense of warmth seems to be enhanced when playing with one's fingers vs. a pick.
In summary, this Rainsong at $1,350 with a case presents an excellent value/value proposition; and is particularly well suited for my tough environment playing application. The instrument has "excellent" durability/stability and playability. The build quality is "very good" and the sound on my subjective "poor-good-very good-excellent" tone scale is toward the upper end of "good" which is a downright miracle in my Luddite/wood influenced guitar mind. When you factor in this quality of tone with the the durability/stability together with excellent playability, I can see why a touring musician would be very happy with a guitar like this (likely with electronics).

My $.02

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-28-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: ID'd the case
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks for following up Bob. That is one nice case, the RainSong plate is a nice touch!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I do like the simplicity of your new Rainsong. It should perform well for the reasons you wanted a CF guitar. Like many here, it likely won't be your last CF. Btw, I personally think one doesn't necessarily have to find a quality wood guitar for ethereal tone. Such tone is subjective, perhaps somewhat different than wood, but no less great which I believe can be found within the CF offerings.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Nice purchase and nice review too, Bob. Enjoy. It is amazing to get into CF guitar and a hard case for this price. Rainsong is doing something pretty special here with the new CH series, and that should bring a lot of converts into the fold. I first got into carbon fiber when living in Alaska, where we struggled mightily to keep the house at 20% RH in the winter. The WS-1000 was the only thing that didn't have to live in its case all the time with two damp sponges - plus the cabinet humidifier running in the living room.

Carbon fiber tone is different than wood tone, but has its own charms. Uni-directional tops are reputed to be the most woody in character, versus the weaves.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I do like the simplicity of your new Rainsong. It should perform well for the reasons you wanted a CF guitar. Like many here, it likely won't be your last CF. Btw, I personally think one doesn't necessarily have to find a quality wood guitar for ethereal tone. Such tone is subjective, perhaps somewhat different than wood, but no less great which I believe can be found within the CF offerings.
It is absolutely a subjective assessment on my part for sure...

Comparing my Rainsong to my luthier made flat tops really isn't fair, but I wanted to provide some context to my assessment of its sound, and put context to "good" was (which is pretty good considering the quality of my flat tops!). Assessments of tone are both individually subjective and difficult to describe. I am delighted with the guitar, including its sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Nice purchase and nice review too, Bob. Enjoy. It is amazing to get into CF guitar and a hard case for this price. Rainsong is doing something pretty special here with the new CH series, and that should bring a lot of converts into the fold. I first got into carbon fiber when living in Alaska, where we struggled mightily to keep the house at 20% RH in the winter. The WS-1000 was the only thing that didn't have to live in its case all the time with two damp sponges - plus the cabinet humidifier running in the living room.

Carbon fiber tone is different than wood tone, but has its own charms. Uni-directional tops are reputed to be the most woody in character, versus the weaves.
I have the opposite problem that you had. Our beach cottage in RI is right on the bay. It was built in the 1930s and has no AC. In the summer the temperature on hot days inside the house can exceed 100 F and humidity can regularly be between 80-100% (we are in the water a lot!). As a result, I never bring a guitar with me...😟. This summer I will bring the Rainsong up there and leave it to play all summer.

Regarding the tone, it is different and I need to experiment with strings and adjust my technique a bit as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:53 PM

I happen to have one and loving it... in case you were wondering
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Bob...nice report...thanks.

I found I like my rainsong best when playing bare fingers versus picks. Since that is my "normal" style when playing by myself it works out well.

the other thing I've noticed is if I play the rainsong a lot and pick up one of my woodies....the woodies sometimes sound flat. I guess I get used to the clear high frequencies out of the rainsong.

In any case its now one of my three go-to instruments.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

If only those wooden guitars could sound as good as the carbon fiber instruments.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:06 AM

The trap I fell in was leaving the CF guitar out on a hanger. Then I reasoned that for playing out it was the only sensible choice. It got played the most and went from a convenience to my standard for tone. It was just the steady drip drip of being played.

My last wood acoustic guitar, a Martin D-45V, departed on eBay about 10 years ago.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
Bob...nice report...thanks.

I found I like my rainsong best when playing bare fingers versus picks. Since that is my "normal" style when playing by myself it works out well.

the other thing I've noticed is if I play the Rainsong a lot and pick up one of my woodies....the woodies sometimes sound flat. I guess I get used to the clear high frequencies out of the rainsong.

In any case its now one of my three go-to instruments.
I play with both a heavy pick (1.5 mm) and with my fingers. I went back and forth with the Rainsong and a few of my wood instruments in order to characterize what I was hearing (e.g. quickness of attack, sustain, balance, responsiveness and character of timbre). They didn't sound flat to me. I am fortunate to own some very special wood guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
If only those wooden guitars could sound as good as the carbon fiber instruments.
To each their own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The trap I fell in was leaving the CF guitar out on a hanger. Then I reasoned that for playing out it was the only sensible choice. It got played the most and went from a convenience to my standard for tone. It was just the steady drip drip of being played.

My last wood acoustic guitar, a Martin D-45V, departed on eBay about 10 years ago.
Sounds like you have found what you like to play...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber