The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Just received a call from my Luither. He said he would not advise me to put sound ports in either of my guitars. He indicated there is more to putting one in an existing guitar then just cutting and finishing a hole.

I think I will take his advice and forget it.
djh
Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
One reason, mentioned by one of the luthiers sometime, that can determine the utility of a soundport is whether the back is stiff or responsive - a stiffer back, allowing better projection, will not be so good at wrapping the player in the sound envelope and so a port will possibly aid a guitarist in that way if that's what they are looking for.
The luthier that's building my guitar, Fred Tellier (AGF member Fetellier), builds his guitars with a live/responsive back, and puts a soundport as a standard feature on his guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
The luthier that's building my guitar, Fred Tellier (AGF member Fetellier), builds his guitars with a live/responsive back, and puts a soundport as a standard feature on his guitars.
He obviously thinks they are a good idea whether the back is live or not but if it's true, your guitar should fare better sending sound around better than a stiff one. Your guitar will probably be a really good sonic experience for the player coming from two sources.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
A soundport is more than just a hole in your guitar.
LC
Actually, it is just a hole in the guitar. Now, you don't want it too big, or too small, and you want it in the right place, but it is pretty much just a hole in the side of the guitar. I love ports and try to add them to all of the guitars I build. The only time I don't add one is if the buyer does not want it. But I still put in a good word for them.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…A soundport is more than just a hole in your guitar.
Hi all...

Not in my experience.

It is just another hole in a guitar, sometimes carefully thought through and planned out, sometimes just experimentally sized and cut (sometimes finished), pretty forgiving, and on guitars where the player needs more feedback, very useful.

It redeemed one of mine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
Actually, it is just a hole in the guitar. Now, you don't want it too big, or too small, and you want it in the right place, but it is pretty much just a hole in the side of the guitar. I love ports and try to add them to all of the guitars I build. The only time I don't add one is if the buyer does not want it. But I still put in a good word for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all...

Not in my experience.

It is just another hole in a guitar, sometimes carefully thought through and planned out, sometimes just experimentally sized and cut (sometimes finished), pretty forgiving, and on guitars where the player needs more feedback, very useful.

It redeemed one of mine.

Ahhh, the sweet joy of finding a statement I made 3 years ago taken out of context. Only on a forum.

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 01-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop