The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
David, you and Joel were a great team on this build. This is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Plus ten on you for opting for the dark neck, which is a perfect complement to the Malay Blackwood back and sides. And Joel's leaf motif is so elegant and graceful... And as Jeff (Bubbaprime) said, the rosette echoes the bevel perfectly.
There are no superlatives to adequately describe...
Yup...what Steve said.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

I too really like the flow, the wood choices, the leaves, the neck and so on and so on! I thought that the wood combination and artistic expression on Mike's Dread was sweet, and now my synapses are burning!

Congratulations to both you and Joel

A Merry Christmas indeed.

And even a happier New Year
Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Wow,,,,thanks for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate that! And a BIG thanks to David, for the new friendship and being so wonderful to collaborate with!

The guitar is sitting safely in it's case wait for ship time. Last night when I was jamming on it, the neck snapped off about 8" below the headstock, but I should be able to have that fixed by Christmas, so no worries. You won't even see, at least not too much, where the neck broke off.

Joel
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM

That is a beauty. I'm a huge fan of dark necks. Looks amazing.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 12-22-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Wow,,,,thanks for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate that! And a BIG thanks to David, for the new friendship and being so wonderful to collaborate with!

The guitar is sitting safely in it's case wait for ship time. Last night when I was jamming on it, the neck snapped off about 8" below the headstock, but I should be able to have that fixed by Christmas, so no worries. You won't even see, at least not too much, where the neck broke off.

Joel
Just make sure to use some brown duct tape Joel so it blends in with the neck.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post

Joel
Hey, Joel- I've found that two or three 1-inch sheet rock screws work really well for fixing that. Sure beats holding the neck together with a capo!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Dave, he must like you. I got mine in separate pieces, along with a tube of wood glue, and instructions written in Malaysian to go with the wood.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Default nice

sheet rock screws... that's hilarious!

Come & Gone:
2014 Stehr GA Madagascar Rosewood/Carpathian Spruce
2012 Taylor Presentation Series Fall Limited - Sinker Redwood, Macassar Ebony
2012 Taylor GS Mini - Mahogany
2009 Taylor T5 Custom 2 - Cocobolo
2006 Taylor 814ce
1997 Gibson EC10
1995 Washburn ???

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM

I usually just spit on both sides of the break and fit them back together and clamp. My mouth is usually so full of sawdust and glue so it works out pretty good! Stronger than epoxy.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Another artful creation... I never get tired of those inlays -- beautiful!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Default First impressions

Well, Santa came a couple of days late, but I'm going to cut him some slack considering what he brought. I'll post some of my own pictures tomorrow but I just wanted to take a moment to give my first impressions now that I've been able to spend a couple of hours playing the guitar.

First, the final pictures that Joel took are outstanding but simply could not convey how beautiful this guitar is. I am beyond words as to how to express how pleased I am with the look. I am so happy that I let Joel push me in the proper directions. During the time before the build I always figured I wanted something more ornate and with woods that contrasted quite a bit but were still complementary. As my thoughts evolved and in discussions with Joel he convinced me that the subtle design aspects and bindings other than I originally thought about would be best and he was right.

Ergonomically the guitar is about perfect for me. Again, I originally thought I would get an SJ but in telling Joel about how I usually play he recommended the GA or Auditorium. His GA is just slightly smaller than my Taylor GA but the arm bevel makes it feel much smaller. I'm also surprised how much of an impact I think the 13-fret neck has on my comfort. I know it's not a big difference as far as reach to the first fret, but it's noticeable.

Lastly, after spending only a couple of hours with it I am in love with the tone. It is a bit tight now which is expected, but the balance is just outstanding. I can't wait to hear what a couple of months playing it is going to do. I'm used to my Taylor being fairly bright depending on what/how I'm playing and the Stehr is about perfect.

I'll take my own glamour shots later and post them. If I get the nerve up I'll try and post sound clips later after I figure out how to. Thanks for everyones comments and following along and a HUGE thanks to Joel for building me such an outstanding guitar!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

David, that's awesome! Can't wait to hear your clips, and your continuing impressions as the guitar evolves.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM

So I am just back from being next door at David's to check this thing out.

Man....my eyes hurt. What a simply beautiful guitar in every possible way, I mean in every posssible way. David is right. The pictures just don't capture it.

Once I took care of all watches, rings, and buckles and had stripped down to my underwear, David let me hold it and (gasp) actually play it. I was nervous and paranoid about blemishing it in any way at all, but I strummed hesitantly, finger picked it a bit and flat picked slightly too (totally afraid I'd brush the finish with my pick).

To my ear the sound is best decribed as...sweetness, no smoothness...no silky....no...I just don't know. The sound just kind of floats around you in a cozy come home for Christmas kind of way. Just a comforting sound that calms the soul.

I A/B'd it against my 09 Taylor GAce-LTD in sitka/coco and found that while the sound was quite different, to my delight my GAce-LTD was not a slouch. Still quite nice...yet definitely different. If I was describing drinks, my LTD is a fine German Beer, while David's Stehr is a smooth Cognac by a cozy fire while the snow falls outside. My guitar sounds very nice, but is more of an in your face sound. David's guitar sounds very nice, but is more....soothing and enveloping. Just....'sweet' seems to be the word I keep coming back to. Just a very very VERY nice sound right out of the box. It should be really something once the wood relaxes a little.

Congrats David on one beatimous guitar in all aspects.

David's wife came in for a minute. We talked about how pleased David was with his long awaited Christmas gift. She agreed. She said she thinks it's worth every penny of the $850.00 he spent on it.

Last edited by Joe F; 12-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

What a wonderful description!! And I have a couple of those $850 guitars too! Sounds just fantastic!!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM

I just really appreciate Joe not bringing up the fact that in my first post a couple of years ago I said I would never spend $2500 on a guitar. TECHNICALLY I still haven't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop