The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM

The seller mentioned something about them having a transformer in them which I think is supposed to be good?

He recorded this clip with the mics. I think they sound pretty good. What do you guys think?

https://www.yousendit.com/download/b...SEJ1Yk5jR0E9PQ
Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloway View Post
The seller mentioned something about them having a transformer in them which I think is supposed to be good?

He recorded this clip with the mics. I think they sound pretty good. What do you guys think?

https://www.yousendit.com/download/b...SEJ1Yk5jR0E9PQ
They sound fine. Give the CM700's a try.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 AM

I am bothered by selfnoise, (when I hear it). I am also bothered by excessively bright mics.

All things being equal, large diaphragm mics exhibit less selfnoise because the larger diaphragm generates more voltage than a SD mic. Some LD diaphragms and capsules do exhibit wonky off axis response that can be a turn off. I'm not sure it's really off axis phase wonkiness. That may be part of the problem, but I think headgrille transparency is also a major contributing factor,

I think LD mics with VERY transparent headgrilles are less susceptible because the HF are less likely to get trapped inside the headgrille causing standing waves. The Neumann TLM 103 headgrille is pretty darn transparent, however, it needs a certain preamp to not sound so bright.

If you're looking at SD mics, the Schoeps cmc641 is my favorite. It makes things sound pretty much like they do to my ear.

To hear it: (remember this is compressed audio on the Internet) go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

The Neumann KM 184 is very bright. Way too bright for me. The Audio Technica AT4053b is not as bright, but not as smooth as the Schoeps.

The Audix SCX-1HC is pretty close to the Schoeps, and the price reflects that.

The Gefell M296 Omni is a remarkable SD mic for acoustic guitar. I recorded a friend here at my studio. He left with a CD. The next day he said his wife had come into his studio while he was listening to the CD and was surprised because she thought he was playing live.

Some of the mics I have reviewed are at: http://public.me.com/tyreeford

Look in the Gear_Reviews_Mics directory. There are some sample recordings in the Audio directory.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Ill have to check out some of those ADK's, as i will be looking for mics sometime in the future. I have always enjoyed the sound of Al Petteway's demos on dreamguitars, and those mics are quite affordable. Of course, Al could probably make any setup sound good.

anton

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD