The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Amp comparison- Marshall, Fender, and Ibanez

I've been playing all three of these for the last couple of weeks. I've mainly been playing an American Standard, but I also tried the amps with an Epiphone Wildkat.

So here are my impressions.

Out of the three the Fender is probably the loudest, with the Marshall a close second and the Ibanes in third place.

I just cannot get the sound I like out of the Blues Jr. It sounds quacky, and somewhat harsh/brittle. Hard to describe. The cleans can't compare to the DSL15 or the TSA15. Even trying to get some dirt, it doesn't do it for me. I can't seem to dial it in, and I really just don't get along with the tone. It was extremely muddy with the Wildkat. I have no idea why. This amp just does not, to me, as good as the other two.

The Ibanez TSA15 has great cleans. Really nice. the tube Screamer channel works as advertised. There is no in between though. The TSA15 can be switched to 7.5 watts, which is pretty nice. There are outputs for a variety of speakers which is really neat. The Tube Screamer and Clean channels can be switched by foot pedal, as can the boost circuit. This is my second favorite. I think this would make a great amp for playing jazz at home.

I think the Marshall DSAL15C is great. The cleans are excellent. The gain channel, unlike what I have read in some posts, is controllable. I like the fact that the Marshall has all kinds of controls and I can dial in the sound I want. I get fantastic cleans, and fabulous crunch. I can dirty it up and still get the tone I want. I really am amazed at how much I like it. The Wildkat even sounded better with the DSL15, because there is so much control available. The Marshall came with the foot pedal as well, and also can be switched to 7.5 watts. It took a little practice to dial in the sound, but once there, it is fantastic. Clear bass if I want it, excellent mids and trebles.

Now my next problem- how come I didn't know about the Autumn Blaze Metallic color until last night. I love it!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM

the amp is at least 40% of the equation, so whatever works for you, works for you. each of those amps would work great in certain situations.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Now what you want to do is get a stereo chorus or reverb pedal and run two of the amps together. Separate them by about 5-8 feet and enjoy the stereo sound. You may never want to go back to mono again.

This is what I did with my Marshal DSL15 and a Fender Super Champ X2. The differences in the sounds of the amps blend together very well, and create a whole new sound. You don't need matching amps to play stereo guitar.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Now what you want to do is get a stereo chorus or reverb pedal and run two of the amps together. Separate them by about 5-8 feet and enjoy the stereo sound. You may never want to go back to mono again.

This is what I did with my Marshal DSL15 and a Fender Super Champ X2. The differences in the sounds of the amps blend together very well, and create a whole new sound. You don't need matching amps to play stereo guitar.
That's the ticket. It's always fun to experiment with rigs. My problem is, I play out so much at so many different places and need such a variety of setups, it's hard to find "the rig".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars