The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Fixing audio track of Zoom Q8 movies?

Perhaps someone here knows how to do this. I'm messing around with recording using my Zoom Q8, with two audio inputs into the back (a mic and the onboard pickup). The result is a MOV file that has a mix of the sound inputs that doesn't sound great, and two WAV files with just separate audio inputs. I can mess with the audio files using Audacity, changing balance and tone and whatnot, and I can save the remixed audio file as, say, MP3.

So now what, how can I chuck the audio portion of the the MOV file and substitute my remixed MP3?

I have a bootcamped Mac, so I can go back and forth from Windows to Mac. The Mac side has iMovie, and I can do some things with the movie file, but I don't know how to swap the audio portions, or if I even can do this in iMovie.

Any tips?
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 05-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

*Nevermind*

I figured it out, with iMovie. You have to create a "project" in iMovie, and then import the MOV file. Then, you can separate and delete the audio portion, and then import the WAV sound file and set it to run in parallel with the movie. "Share" the result as a MP4 file, and poof, you have your original video combined with your modified audio.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Perhaps someone here knows how to do this. I'm messing around with recording using my Zoom Q8, with two audio inputs into the back (a mic and the onboard pickup). The result is a MOV file that has a mix of the sound inputs that doesn't sound great, and two WAV files with just separate audio inputs. I can mess with the audio files using Audacity, changing balance and tone and whatnot, and I can save the remixed audio file as, say, MP3.

So now what, how can I chuck the audio portion of the the MOV file and substitute my remixed MP3?

I have a bootcamped Mac, so I can go back and forth from Windows to Mac. The Mac side has iMovie, and I can do some things with the movie file, but I don't know how to swap the audio portions, or if I even can do this in iMovie.

Any tips?
I use FCP X but

I think because the video format is a MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV) you should be able to import it into iMovie
Then the I believe there is a way to separate the sound from the video like there is in FCP X with the video clip on one line and the audio on another just below it.... then just have to import the WAV file from Audacity and drag it to sit below the video clip . Then you will have to play around with lining it up visually from the waveform

Ha you posted while I was making this post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-28-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I use FCP X but

I think because the video format is a MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV) you should be able to import it into iMovie
Then the I believe there is a way to separate the sound from the video like there is in FCP X with the video clip on one line and the audio on another just below it.... then just have to import the WAV file from Audacity and drag it to sit below the video clip . Then you will have to play around with lining it up visually from the waveform

Ha you posted while I was making this post
Yes, that's how it works! I haven't had to deal with lining up the waveforms yet, that will be another hill to climb later. So far, my recordings aren't so long that I can't deal with whole file, including the warts that I'll cut out of the combined MP4, so if I import that WAV audio and haven't cropped anything, it lines up automatically at the start with the MOV video.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Yes, that's how it works! I haven't had to deal with lining up the waveforms yet, that will be another hill to climb later. So far, my recordings aren't so long that I can't deal with whole file, including the warts that I'll cut out of the combined MP4, so if I import that WAV audio and haven't cropped anything, it lines up automatically at the start with the MOV video.
Ah yes you are of course correct given the video and audio are both being recorded by the Zoom, so the start point of the files will automatically be the same and like you say you if you don't trim anything you don't have to worry about it . I was thinking of how do it with the video and audio being recorded on different systems.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD