The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Reason 9.5

Hi folks hope all is well .
There's a ton of recording Daws out there these days to chose from which was a hoot some yrs back for me . In my search I found Kristal audio engine , Kristal rocks in my book even today for its simplicity she's old but still works even in W10 but Kristal can't do midi though if your clever you can find a work around .

There's was hopes of Kristal two but before it's release presonus bought it and it became studio one .

My interests in a Daw was to just record my guitar as I never recorded before and it certainly open the door for me work out my songs and become more creative , as a lover of new age and ambient music and the desire to upgrade my Daw I started looking again mainly to add keyboards mostly soft pads ,synths some piano to accompany my music .

What I thought fit the bill best was Reason . At first Reason did not record Audio as most Reason users were into Rap, house and techno music . But Reason did have done things I could use so I started with Reason 5 and bounced tracks back and forth with Kristal to get what I needed .

Reason finally came around with audio recording and that sealed the deal I'm. Reason fan . At first Reasons all in house rack gear and effects where ok with me but like Apple it slowly became a pain because Reason had very little stuff for guitarists but over time slowly added some in .

There's a ton of cool VST's and VSTI's out there that are wonderful but again Reason closed doors prevented that . My lastest version is Reason 8.2 and when 9 came out and another update and or version but I held off as they things I would use much .

Today I found out Reason newest update 9.5 now has VST support . Yahoo !!
I'm like a kid in a New candy store ! Now it's time to upgrade and open some new doors once again .

In the recent vid Reason folks say we added VST support because we knew there some good software out there and this what folks wanted . What kills me is they make sound like it was their idea though that's the way it came across to me but in all actuality Reason users have been asking for years ! I know I have to get VST support after all every other Daw out there been having that option for some time now so Propellerhead is a tad late to the game lol

But I'm happy none the less . Reason is one powerful Daw that I will barely scratch the surface of just being a guitar player lol anyway a long story just to say , Hey ! Reason 9.5 now has VST support !! Lol

Typos will be fixed if I made any no glasses on and on cell lmao

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 05-05-2017, 02:10 AM

Thing with reason is that a lot of functionality that other daws get with vst plugins, is already implemented in reason or can be replicated by clever patching. That was the original business model. Guess they were losing sales lately over this.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 AM

The problem with Reason (at least for me) has always been the sonics. No matter what synth you chose, no matter how many clever patching schemes, no matter how many SFX's you added, it always, always sounded like Reason. The frustration for me was in the idea that Reason was the absolute easiest, most intuitive work flow DAW solution on the planet. Nothing was ever remotely close in terms of eliminating some of the drudgery of navigating a DAW.

Certainly Studio One 3 closed that gap in a big way and I suspect played a role in Reason opening up its architecture to 3rd party plug ins. Anxious to see the new Reason!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

While I have used Reason since 6.5 and liked its unique approach with its virtual rack and patching GUI. I almost always used it slaved to Pro Tools.

I am currently on 8.2 or something and while I don't particularly find the sonics to be generic to Reason I have alway found the editing very clunky compared to other DAW's especially the audio editing but honestly even the midi editing. I suppose it may just be that I am so used to the industry setting standard for editing audio , that my view is subjective. But that is why I have only ever done two projects entirely in Reason.

Certainly allowing 3rd party plugins will be a big boost to Reason I did not see if it will also allow using outboard hardware FX. which was always another drawback

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Ok so help me out when you say sonics what exactly are you referring to , it's over all built in keyboard sounds or other ?

If I read right I agree on it's editing options as far as audio goes , perhaps it'll be in the next Apple dangling carrot version ? Lol

For detailed editing I use Audacity funny thing now I think of it I never tried to hook up a direct link to Adacity not knowing if possible of coarse in Reason as it is in some other Daws .

You master Daw doctors that dig deep in its core for midi and stuff know more then I ever will .

I find it's work flow pretty good but again I'm greedy and want a Daw that kicks A err .. but ! with better audio editing options fad in/out options .

For a guitarist and audio recording this update for me should be big .

I have a some cool VST' eq's , reverbs , amp sims ,NY vocal effects , eg's etc ; being able to use these open that sonic door if I'm thinking right that you folks mention .

But over all I'm a simple recording guy and easily impressed but very picky as to sounds I like which doesn't say much to the real world .

It was the built in synth package that won me over Studio 1 and I almost more then once opted for both lol

On issue I have had with this Daw is output levels what I monitor plays louder then play back and again the same with export .

Something I'm missing but I figure it out lol

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Ok so help me out when you say sonics what exactly are you referring to , it's over all built in keyboard sounds or other ?

If I read right I agree on it's editing options as far as audio goes , perhaps it'll be in the next Apple dangling carrot version ? Lol

For detailed editing I use Audacity funny thing now I think of it I never tried to hook up a direct link to Adacity not knowing if possible of coarse in Reason as it is in some other Daws .

You master Daw doctors that dig deep in its core for midi and stuff know more then I ever will .

I find it's work flow pretty good but again I'm greedy and want a Daw that kicks A err .. but ! with better audio editing options fad in/out options .

I have a some cool VST' eq's , reverbs , amp sims ,NY vocal effects , eg's etc ; being able to use these open that sonic door if I'm thinking right that you folks mention .

But over all I'm a simple recording guy and easily impressed but very picky as to sounds I like which doesn't say much to the real world .

It was the built in synth package that won me over Studio 1 and I almost more then once opted for both lol

On issue I have had with this Daw is output levels what I monitor plays louder then play back and again the same with export .

Just the soft synth sounds. I've honestly never recorded audio in Reason but by and large DAW audio is DAW audio. I wouldn't expect it to inferior.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post

Well perhaps I was not clear, I don't have a problem with the synth sonics in Reason . But in fact haven't used the synth sounds all that much some Thor and Malstrom and have no opinion on if they seem generic to Reason . As I said my only issue was with the editing particularly audio and to some extent the midi editing.

As far as Slaving it to another DAW yes Reason supports "ReWire" so any DAW that also supports ReWire means you can slave ( have it linked directly ) to another DAW and the transport controls and will work for both DAWs,

What I was mainly doing was using Reason to play it's Dry Drum Kit in the NN-XT Sampler tracks onto Pro Tools tracks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM

I work with Reason since version 6.5 and upgraded with every new version. Just love this DAW!! All my basic recording is always acoustic and I never had anything to complain or wish for. Even the closed shop character I never experienced as a problem. Yet, knowing all the VST's on the market sometimes made me a little nervous, but luckily Propellerhead has so much to offer. That they now open up their DAW to external VST's was almost inevitable and I am really happy that they did; even if I don't know yet whether I will become promiscuous...

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 05-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Just found out from the Avid ProTools forum that unfortunately Reason 9.5 will not allow VST's to work in Rewire mode. Given that is the way I almost always use it, slaved to Pro Tools, it appears for me to little reason upgrade, as it offers no significant advantage over the 8. 5 version I currently run.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-19-2017 at 08:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD