The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
I've got a 630mm spruce/rosewood classical built by Douglass Scott in Canada - lovely sweet tone - he builds as low as 615 - and I have a double top 630 coming from another Canadian luthier - Marcus Dominelli - you can hear his short scale guitars being reviewed by Brad Werner on thisisclassicalguitar. I don't know why Canadian luthiers seem more open to building shorter scale lengths - I couldn't interest either of our local luthiers (David Pace and Ross Gutmeier) in building a 630 though they will build 640's.

I don't think you can generalize that professionals play 660 - I know Matt Palmer for instance plays a 640 Michael Thames and he's no slouch (nor does he have particularly small hands) 640's are usually the same body size as 650's whereas 630's are about a cm smaller (at least mine is). I had a 630 Kenny Hill Player and to be honest I wasn't that impressed - I'd buy one of the solid Cordobas in the same price range or look for a used guitar built by a luthier first.
Thanks, very useful!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 AM

I'm looking for a shorter scale guitar. Could anyone categorically inform me of the specs on guitars that are described as 3/4 size....7/8 size. Do these sizings refer to the overall (body shape and length) or do they include variations in scale length too?
Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
I'm looking for a shorter scale guitar. Could anyone categorically inform me of the specs on guitars that are described as 3/4 size....7/8 size. Do these sizings refer to the overall (body shape and length) or do they include variations in scale length too?
I really don't think those are standardized sizes, Frankie. I think different makers more or less use them as general descriptions or, perhaps, as sizes that are based on their standard-size guitars. Of course there is no standard for standard-size guitars, either. It's best to check the individual specs for each guitar (which you may have to check with the maker to get).
-Bob
Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 AM

My humble opinion is that the overall scale has less an impact on left hand playing comfort than the width & shape of the guitar neck.

There are 650 scale guitars that I can't play because of the feel of the neck. Then there are others that feel like they were custom made for my left hand.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Before I purchased my G.V. Rubio Estudio, I played both a standard (650mm) and short (640mm) scale model. I decided to go with the 640mm and haven't regretted that decision for one second...love it.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
My humble opinion is that the overall scale has less an impact on left hand playing comfort than the width & shape of the guitar neck.

There are 650 scale guitars that I can't play because of the feel of the neck. Then there are others that feel like they were custom made for my left hand.
That's a good point. Neck shape and geometry. String spacing. Those all contribute to playability and overall feel.
All things being equal in this regard, I still feel that a shorter scale will make certain reaches easier, but if you are comparing apples and oranges, then you have to be more inclusive of these other aspects. Definitely agree.
Regarding stretches, I'll just add that you have to be careful because you can really injure yourself overdoing it. That's especially true for the older folks among us. And if it is an injury, you have to let it heal. Using a capo during that time can help.
There are some pieces that are just very demanding as far as stretches go. Sometimes you can choose alternate fingerings. Other times you just have to slowly work on achieving the position.
That Barrios piece looks to be an extreme example, i.e. a low F that is necessary combined with a chord fingering on the 6th fret. I'm glad that video was posted so I could see how it was done. That was pretty slick.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I really don't think those are standardized sizes, Frankie. I think different makers more or less use them as general descriptions or, perhaps, as sizes that are based on their standard-size guitars. Of course there is no standard for standard-size guitars, either. It's best to check the individual specs for each guitar (which you may have to check with the maker to get).
-Bob
Probably the best advice that has been offered to me (as well as other members posts regarding fretboard width and neck profile) in my quest to find that guitar with the perfect length and profile. It just hacks me off when I go into shops and try to discuss 'smaller' sized guitars only to be asked by the assistant "Is the guitar for a child?'. No......it's for Me!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
It just hacks me off when I go into shops and try to discuss 'smaller' sized guitars only to be asked by the assistant "Is the guitar for a child?'. No......it's for Me!!!
Absolutely! But what bugs me even more is the fact that most makers consign short-scale guitars to the bargain category, making only lower-tier short-scale guitars. We need more makers who are bold enough to make premium-level shorties! Kudos to Kenny Hill for being one of the most prominent champions of high-quality, short-scale guitars.
-Bob
Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Absolutely! But what bugs me even more is the fact that most makers consign short-scale guitars to the bargain category, making only lower-tier short-scale guitars. -Bob
I think they are afraid to make a guitar that might have less volume, or is perceived as having less volume, and that perception or reality would then hurt their brand.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 PM

I just got a Marcus Domiinelli 630 /50mm double top - it's LOUD. I don't think smaller necessarily means quieter - it depends on the guitar. the whole guitar is slightly shorter in addition to being short scale and narrower nut - it fits me better than a full size, but it might not be an advantage for those of you who are not petite...

So far as neck shape - makes a huge difference. For me a C-shape neck (classical C shape not steel string C shape) is the easiest to reach around. I have the string spacing adjusted to be the same (42.5 mm) on my classicals regardless of nut width - which really helps with finger positioning.

I only recently found out that you can adjust the string spacing at the bridge using grooves in the saddle - so am planning to bring them in a couple of mm on my full size guitar so everything matches...

Who would have thought that a couple of mm could make so much difference?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

A 630mm Dominelli! I am insanely jealous. I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance. Enjoy the hell out of it!
-Bob
Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 AM

I'm with Bob! Marcus Dominelli is one of my favorite builders and a great member of the classical guitar community. Can't wait t see some photos!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical