The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winzzy View Post
Sorry to Necro a thread but I wanted to see what Lisa's thoughts are now years later.

I just through on some Elixir PB Nano Mediums as well, though mostly because I have a set laying around and found the to sound pretty nice.

Lisa, are you still using these strings? Have you transitioned to medium lights?
Haven't seen much activity from Lisa on AGF(she has not posted here for quite some time, although she was pretty active over at MG&M carbon fiber forum when it existed).

What style do you play?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM

I play pretty much everything. P&W, blues, fingerpicking, strumming. I like OMs because they can pretty much cover it all though aren't necessarily the best at everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Haven't seen much activity from Lisa on AGF(she has not posted here for quite some time, although she was pretty active over at MG&M carbon fiber forum when it existed).

What style do you play?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM

You'll never find any sort of consensus here on string brands (or coated vs. uncoated). But it does seem that for carbon fiber guitars, most people like the mellower/warmer phosphor bronze or monel strings, rather than brighter, more "jangly" strings like 80/20 or aluminum bronze.

For the record, I use mostly Ernie Ball Paradigm Phosphor Bronze Lights. They feel and sound just like uncoated strings but last nearly as long as Elixirs. I'm still in search of the "perfect" string, though.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winzzy View Post
I play pretty much everything. P&W, blues, fingerpicking, strumming. I like OMs because they can pretty much cover it all though aren't necessarily the best at everything.
A fellow AGF member, Moondoggie Bedyam (Brett's YouTube channel name) was gracious enough to run a really handy series of videos testing various strings on the exact RainSong model you just bought. Grab some good headphones and enjoy. He's a pretty darn good player too!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM

Perfect, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
A fellow AGF member, Moondoggie Bedyam (Brett's YouTube channel name) was gracious enough to run a really handy series of videos testing various strings on the exact RainSong model you just bought. Grab some good headphones and enjoy. He's a pretty darn good player too!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM

I have a set of medium Martin Retro Monel strings on my Rainsong jumbo, tuned down a half step. Although just about any string sounds good on it, I think they complement it as well as any other set and the silver finish looks good with the shark inlays.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Just bought a set of Martin Retro Morel M and the SP L/M to try. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Santa Cruz low tension parabolic work fantastic!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber