The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Rubio Vasquez Guitars

I have seen German Rubio Vasquez guitars for sale on this forum and elsewhere. Recently a Perfecto Rubio Vasquez was listed on Ebay, and I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of this builder, or if in fact they are the same guy? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I don't know the Perfecto Rubio Vasquez name, but you've got the name of the first luthier you mentioned a bit mixed up. I believe you are referring to German Vasquez Rubio, not German Rubio Vasquez. And I still know nothing about the second luthier you mentioned. I assume you have Googled the name and come up with nothing.
-Bob
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

German Vasquez Rubio is the correct name, my apologies. And that answers my question about them being the same man. German Vasquez Rubio is a highly respected California based luthier. Perfecto Rubio Vasquez is not to be found on the internet as far as I can tell.. The guitar in question was listed as a Perfecto Rubio Vasquez and in the description quotes were used describing GVR's guitars. So a mixup from the beginning.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 AM

Offkey,

If indeed the guitar you are interested in was made by German Vasquez Rubio (GVR as he is known) I can tell you that GVR is very well respected in the classical guitar world. I have owned two of his instruments. Both were very high quality with a loud and refined tone that compared with guitars costing many thousands of dollars more. He is represented by Armin Kelly in Cleveland.

https://www.guitarsint.com

This should give you some information about the model and the retail price new.

Cincy
Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Cincy,
Thanks for the input. GVR as a builder is easily found with a quick google search. Very impressive reviews, which I studied in some depth earlier. The other builder in question seems to be a Paracho builder. The ebay seller seems have confused the two luthiers. If anyone is interested the ebay item number is 252689169370. A beautiful looking guitar for sure, but not a Vasquez Rubio. Had I paid a little more attention to the sequence of surnames I would have noticed the confusion earlier. And not had a very expensive Paracho guitar showing up at my house Thursday. Huge sheepish grin. To be continued....
Old 12-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps "Perfecto" is the seller's attempt to describe the guitar's condition in Spanish?!? :-)
-Bob
Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Perhaps "Perfecto" is the seller's attempt to describe the guitar's condition in Spanish?!? :-)
-Bob
Well "Perfecto" is actually the one I have been looking for.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Update

I did in fact receive the Perfecto Rubio Vazquez, just after Christmas. The seller was selling the guitar for his son who is an up and coming classical player and was upgrading to a newer instrument. We discussed the advertising error and I received a 10% refund. The Perfecto is just that, for me anyway. Extremely beautiful cedar rosewood guitar that appears to me to be the finest guitar I have owned. Very thin finish and a double ebony neck reinforcement . I still have no idea how to upload photos from flicker , or my computer to the AGF, wish I could.
I have since played an actual GVR studio and it also is a beautiful thing, but I prefer my Rubio Vasquez to the Vasquez Rubio. Try saying that 10 times as quick as you can! Just wanted to share this with anyone who might be interested.
Although both necks are standard scale, with a 52mm nut, the German Vasquez Rubio is a smaller c shape profile and feels much smaller, very nice neck profile.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes, things just work out right. Very glad to hear you like the guitar. Perfecto!
-Bob
Old 06-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Sometimes, things just work out right. Very glad to hear you like the guitar. Perfecto!
-Bob
Thanks Bob, Maybe Mr Magoo from my childhood was right, " if first you don't succeed try, try again." I have sold my steel string guitars and will concentrate on the nylon from here forward. My goal is to do simple music very well. Wish me luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical