The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks for this Bob, I will also be trying this set.

I'd like to compare them with high tension carbons (EJ46FF).
Sirwhale,

Have you done this comparison yet? I'm currently using EJ45FF (on Emerald X7 nylon), have ordered Alabastro and am curious. Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 PM

I've been through a lot of strings recently, trying different materials.

As I've mentioned I don't classical music or flamenco, but blues, folk, John Fahey stuff. So bare this in mind as I mention my preferences.

My favourite string material of all will be carbons. It has good sustain, good brightness and I like the feel better than others.

The Alabastro set wasn't as bright and I didn't like the feel as much. They felt a bit too malleable for my liking. They don't feel as tense as they actually are and are easy to play. Great tuning stability. People say you have to leave them on for a few days to really hear the brightness.

I also tried the Zafiro set too. These also had a very different feel, different from nylgut, carbon and nylon. They are brighter than nylons, the feel is the opposite of nylgut, they feel stiffer in some ways and I don't like the percussive sound they give when digging as much as I do with the carbons.

With carbons, people say that Savarez has the brightest sound and I like them, I haven't been through enough brands yet to know. I have a set of the Daddario normal tension carbons waiting to go on next that I was given free with my guitar when I bough it. One thing I don't like about the high tension carbons is that the high E string because a lot of hard work. So I prefer the normal tensions, or high tension G and B, with normal tension E. I do notice less brightness when moving up to the high tension carbons, as the strings become thicker, they add power, but lose some brightness.

The Thomastik infeld KR116 are very different, half way between steel and nylon. I have them on my crossover. I like them, but it's hard to decide, I want both sounds, so currently have the softer sounding carbons on my new flamenco guitar.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-26-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM

Most D'addario strings sound dead / too mellow on my guitars.

IMHO Savarez Alliance trebles are awesome when compared to D'Addario's.

The Savarez Corum trebles are also nice, but they're a bit to big in diameter for my personal tastes.

Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension are my string of choice. Alliance Trebles combined with great Cantiga basses.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Dave, is there anything different about the Cantiga basses? Or is it just that they sound good?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Most D'addario strings sound dead / too mellow on my guitars.

IMHO Savarez Alliance trebles are awesome when compared to D'Addario's.

The Savarez Corum trebles are also nice, but they're a bit to big in diameter for my personal tastes.

Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension are my string of choice. Alliance Trebles combined with great Cantiga basses.
Your summing up of these two makes is exactly what I've found too. I'll try the 510 ARs next.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM

They are made of new material. Here is what Savarez says about the Cantiga basses "A significantly different strings.A new core made of a very different multifilament raw material makes cantiga basses strings an actual innovation.Outstanding specific caracteristics. Easy comfortable safe playing"

I find that the Cantiga basses are louder and have more sustain than other bass strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Dave, is there anything different about the Cantiga basses? Or is it just that they sound good?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 AM

FWIW... Strings by Mail sells classical strings in partial sets & individual strings. As far as I know they're one of the few sellers that offer this option.

So if you have a set of trebles you like and only want to try the Cantiga basses, you can buy just basses.

I tend to buy extra bass sets since they tend to wear out on me before the trebles do.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical