The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-21-2023, 08:02 AM

Default Mustang GTX100..

I've had my GTX100 for a few days and so far it has shown me that my ES339 needs a little work The P90's are too high and causes it to be to uneven in the notes..
I need to find out why I can't lower them more.

Yes the Mustang has way to many (Kid) presets
Way too bassy (easy fix)
But I found myself gravitating to the Dual Showman Amp model which makes sense for me because I built a Twin Reverb using a Dual Showman Head
They say its the same as a Twin but I think there is something different in the circuit which comes out in their modeling..
Well anyway...The amp does sound nice.. connects well with my cell and Samsung tablet.

Don't let anyone fool you, this is a modeler and it will never fool someone who is playing it but its a very good one and very usable..
Time will bring out things I dislike and I'll post those..

One dislike now I have to bring two amps to a gig...the Mustang and the EAE that I will use for vocals and acoustic...
I now need AC-power or a power station..

Using the limited pedals I have (Zoom G1-Four and Behringer GDi-21) into the EAE just sounded like poo...
Maybe a IR type would've been better but they are close to the cost of an amp...

Well anyway more to come, can't wait to setup in the garage or outside and see how hard its going to be adjusting the mix levels

Last edited by CASD57; 02-21-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Interesting information... Congrats on the new amp!

- Glenn
Old 02-22-2023, 06:34 AM

As far as multi-modeling combo's go the mustangs are hard to beat for what they do and what they cost.

I've had both the Fender's and the Marshalls for a time, and by far the mustangs are the clear winner in over all sounds and desired amp models.

You don't need more than a three or four good presets.

I have gigged with them, and mic'd they will probably do just about as well as any stage combo in most cases. If you've got a moderate stage volume, it'll do the job The tend to fall off a bit if you need to push them though.

At least that was my overall experience with the Mustangs, and Code amps.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-22-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Interesting information... Congrats on the new amp!

- Glenn
Lol it's been quiet in here Thanks for the Response

I have thought about sending it back and moving up to the Tone Master but is it worth twice the price? I doubt it but still, the Blonde Deluxe Reverb calls my name lol
And this has nothing to do with the tone of the GTX it has to do with owning the best in the modeling world..it can't get any better at this moment in time.. supposedly
I did watch a video of a player who put his original 1967 Deluxe Reverb up against the tone master.. and it sounded nothing like the 1967 DR he said it sounded good(tone master) but it was like listening to an image of the original.
With some that would be fine for most people...
Well anyway, I pulled a couple of pieces of foam strips out of the neck pickup base and it's much lower and not affecting the string vibration anymore... I didn't remove enough on the bridge pickup and I'll redo that tonight.
Good thing I only had to loosing the strings
Old 02-22-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
As far as multi-modeling combo's go the mustangs are hard to beat for what they do and what they cost.

I've had both the Fender's and the Marshalls for a time, and by far the mustangs are the clear winner in over all sounds and desired amp models.

You don't need more than a three or four good presets.

I have gigged with them, and mic'd they will probably do just about as well as any stage combo in most cases. If you've got a moderate stage volume, it'll do the job The tend to fall off a bit if you need to push them though.

At least that was my overall experience with the Mustangs, and Code amps.
Your right...3-4 presets would be plenty, and that for me would be a variation of the Dual-Showman amp model... Reverb-Hall reverb(Knights in white stain-Lucky Man)..Delay/Reverb...very slightly driven and trem for like the song in my signature
My needs are about "The Sound" than many sounds
Old 02-22-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
My needs are about "The Sound" than many sounds

yes! 100%

I do have a one modeling amp in the collection, Fender's Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. By leaps and bounds my favorite solid state/molding combo.

Tone Masters are a different bread, they only do "one" thing, but they do it very well.

The sound is so close to the tube counterpart and the power attenuator lets you get it down to as low 1 watt so you can really get that driven tube amp sound with out high volume.

definitely a worthy contender.

Fender gets this stuff right.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:27 AM

I've decided I don't want to haul extra gear and try to stay 100% battery power..
So the GTX10 is going back and I'm going to find a good pedal so I can run my ES339 through my EAE Amp...and sound half decent

Pedal idea's ??
I've got the Zoom G1-Four and the Behringer GDi-21 but I think I'll get a better sound out of a IR type pedal or ??
Old 02-25-2023, 11:46 AM

Aside from the lack of battery power, what were your thoughts on the amp overall? Are the various amp models accurate or convincing enough to be usable?
Old 02-25-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I've decided I don't want to haul extra gear and try to stay 100% battery power..
So the GTX10 is going back and I'm going to find a good pedal so I can run my ES339 through my EAE Amp...and sound half decent

Pedal idea's ??
I've got the Zoom G1-Four and the Behringer GDi-21 but I think I'll get a better sound out of a IR type pedal or ??
I got a UAFX Dream '65 earlier this week. It's early days but I'm very impressed with it. At $400, it's a bit pricey. But it's a high quality item that does what it does extremely well.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 02-25-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Aside from the lack of battery power, what were your thoughts on the amp overall? Are the various amp models accurate or convincing enough to be usable?
Loud...Boomy but all can be controlled
The amp is light 22lbs
Nice presets...I liked the Dual Showman the best due to it having a slightly clean-driven sound on it..
The amp has so many options that in a way it's negative because you become unhappy with your sound and your tweaking it all the time..
Overall the amp sounds great and if you like tweaking then its a fantastic package.

I would love to own an amp that does Clean beautifully but you could drive it when needed and have trem-chorus-reverb plus battery power for those gigs without AC-power
I'm probably going to a Bose S1-Pro or EV everse8 and use a pedal to get the amp model and effects

PS my EAE M2-6 (50Watts) seems a little underpowered for vocal and guitar when on battery power
Old 02-26-2023, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info on the GTX. I'm intrigued by it.

Have you looked into the Roland Cube Street EX?
16 pounds
2 x 8" speakers
battery powered
acoustic, clean, crunch and lead settings
chorus/delay
reverb (separate reverb for each channel)

I don't have one and have never played one (although I do have a Roland JC-22, so I know a little something about the Roland clean sound). But the specs look good on it.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Loud...Boomy but all can be controlled
The amp is light 22lbs
Nice presets...I liked the Dual Showman the best due to it having a slightly clean-driven sound on it..
The amp has so many options that in a way it's negative because you become unhappy with your sound and your tweaking it all the time..
Overall the amp sounds great and if you like tweaking then its a fantastic package.

I would love to own an amp that does Clean beautifully but you could drive it when needed and have trem-chorus-reverb plus battery power for those gigs without AC-power
I'm probably going to a Bose S1-Pro or EV everse8 and use a pedal to get the amp model and effects

PS my EAE M2-6 (50Watts) seems a little underpowered for vocal and guitar when on battery power
Your comment about the negative is exactly why I sold all my lower price modelling amps: Fender, Line 6, Boss, and Kemper. All I did was turn knobs. The THR Series (Yamaha) does what you're asking, maybe underwhelming outdoors though. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Your comment about the negative is exactly why I sold all my lower price modelling amps: Fender, Line 6, Boss, and Kemper. All I did was turn knobs. The THR Series (Yamaha) does what you're asking, maybe underwhelming outdoors though. Good luck.
Is there a way to line out to my EAE PA speaker??

I could use the THR as a monitor and line out to the PA
Old 03-06-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Pedal idea's ??
i'd give IK's Tonex pedal a look. the stock tones range from meh to very good, but some of the third-party tones are incredible. you can check out the software for free if you want to sample tones. i highly recommend Amalgam's tone and The Studio Rat's Matchless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars