The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2023, 04:08 PM

Default Ovation Celebrity

I got my new guitar today from Sweetwater(thanks Rob Kramer)along with an Ovation SuperShallow OHSC and a great looking black leather Levy’s strap.

Here’s a quick overview:

This guitar with the Super Shallow back is wafer thin. You big belly boys and girls have nothing to worry about with the Lyrachord bowl on this guitar. It’s basically just as thin or thinner than any acoustic you are currently playing. It’s certainly thinner than my acoustics.

It seems like an OM or 000 sized guitar, definitely not dred sized. This one is 4lbs9oz and feels like it’s floating away compared to my Strats and Jazzmaster.

Action is a touch high for me, with a sight line telling me there is a little relief in the neck right now. The owners packet has two additional shims that can be fit under the saddle to raise the action. I have read owners have removed shims from under the saddle to lower the action further to their liking when doing a string change. So there must be shims placed there from the factory.

Speaking of strings, this guitar has an Adamas coated NUOVA set on from the factory. The strings feel great, the frets can use a lite scrub with a scotch brite pad. I feel a little scratchy when bending. The rosewood fretboard is a solid dark, well hydrated slab. I will do a couple of drops of F1 fretboard oil though.

The maple veneer top over the solid spruce sound board is something else. It looks like running water and the colors are crisp and clear in the burst. Honestly it has a dementional depth to it. Big points to Ovation for that detail on an inexpensive guitar.

Tuners look just OK. They feel firm, but look low quality. Lockers would be my first and probably only mod on here.

The shovel shaped headstock is pure Ovation tradition! Piano black paint with gold lettering looks terrific! Micro abalone dots mark the frets.

After a quick plug in through the Yamaha THR30ii in acoustic mode I found the sound very pleasing, no quack, thick and rich. The real tests will be at the first open mic thru a board and PA system to know for sure it’s performance value.

Here are some unboxing pix:

Attachment 87835

Attachment 87836

Attachment 87837

Attachment 87838

Attachment 87839

Attachment 87840

Last edited by Chickee; 02-23-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm Happy For You, Chickee, Enjoy Your New Ovation!

Yes, there is usually a shim or shims under an Ovation saddle and it's easy to change the action to your liking.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-17-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm Happy For You, Chickee, Enjoy Your New Ovation!

Yes, there is usually a shim or shims under an Ovation saddle and it's easy to change the action to your liking.
Already done, SpruceTop! There were two under the saddle. One thicker than the other. I removed the thinner of the two and like where its sitting better now. I put on a set of John Pearse PB 12-53’s and like the feel. I’ll see how the neck reacts overnight.

Here’s a pic with the shim i removed

EC7D09E0-97E8-4C63-9AAB-254278B84109.jpg

Thanks for checking in ST!
frank d.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank!

What a great looking Ovation! I love that pretty top! Wow! That is really pretty!

And that strap looks cool, too!

Good for you, Frank! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 02-17-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Frank!

What a great looking Ovation! I love that pretty top! Wow! That is really pretty!

And that strap looks cool, too!

Good for you, Frank! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Thank you very much Glenn. Its so easy to play i keep laughing!
thank you again, my friend
fd
Old 02-17-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...This guitar with the Super Shallow back is wafer thin. You big-belly boys and girls have nothing to worry about with the Lyrachord bowl on this guitar...
TMK the first super-shallow Ovations were developed by Bill Kaman in 1983, at the behest of then-endorser Nancy Wilson - who had been using deep-bowl models on stage for nearly a decade, and hardly a WW candidate - and initially marketed as a round-hole cutaway Collectors' Series instrument, finished in the "Barnboard" gray-burst that would remain a staple of the regular line thereafter...

IME many women (including my wife - who owns two) have difficulty playing deep-bowl Ovations in a standing position...

I'll leave it up to you to connect the dots regarding their underlying raison d'etre...

In the meantime, use yours well and often...
Old 02-17-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
TMK the first super-shallow Ovations were developed by Bill Kaman in 1983, at the behest of then-endorser Nancy Wilson - who had been using deep-bowl models on stage for nearly a decade, and hardly a WW candidate - and initially marketed as a round-hole cutaway Collectors' Series instrument, finished in the "Barnboard" gray-burst that would remain a staple of the regular line thereafter...

IME many women (including my wife - who owns two) have difficulty playing deep-bowl Ovations in a standing position...

I'll leave it up to you to connect the dots regarding their underlying raison d'etre...

In the meantime, use yours well and often...
I was up in the air about this purchase because truth be told, I am a big belly boy!! But it turns out my fears were totally unfounded. This SuperShallow design is a delight to play sitting down(yes you need a strap) and/or standing.

Glenn Campbell was the push at Ovation for smaller bowl guitars. He was their first endorser during his run on TV.
From the company’s history-
“When he became one of Ovation Guitars' first endorsers, Glen Campbell suggested reducing the weight of the guitar, which he had discovered caused back strain.[20] After that, Ovation reduced the weight of several models and pioneered "super-shallow" guitar bodies”

Thanks again for the positive nod
frank d.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...Glen Campbell was the push at Ovation for smaller bowl guitars. He was their first endorser during his run on TV.

From the company’s history -

“When he became one of Ovation Guitars' first endorsers, Glen Campbell suggested reducing the weight of the guitar, which he had discovered caused back strain. After that, Ovation reduced the weight of several models and pioneered 'super-shallow' guitar bodies”...
I remember the original Glen Campbell models - played a few back in the '70s, had a bud who owned one in the '80s, and while they were noticeably shallower (3/4" as I recall) and lighter than the traditional deep-bowl, they were still significantly deeper than the post-1983 super-shallow models that would form the basis for your new squeeze. FWIW they also had a very different tone than their deep-bowl equivalents: less bass/lower-mid meat and lots of cutting power - to my ears combining certain key elements of both Selmer Maccaferri and Epiphone archtop instruments - which made them great acoustic-lead guitars (a style at which Glen admittedly excelled) but less desirable for all-around use and, in spite of the fact that they were cataloged for over two decades, TMK Ovation didn't sell too many relative to their deep-bowl offerings...
Old 02-17-2023, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a real looker Frank! Glad you have it playing to your liking. Wish you the best with it!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-17-2023, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Very happy for you, Frank! Hope to see video of you playing it live soon
Old 02-17-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Congrats on a real looker Frank! Glad you have it playing to your liking. Wish you the best with it!
Thank you very much, Joe. As a stage guitar I think it will really make a statement. I’ve never seen anyone playing one in the NJ music scene. Maybe I’ll be a trend setter?
fd

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Very happy for you, Frank! Hope to see video of you playing it live soon
I’d like to get something on show&tell to showcase this guitar. I think at its price point it is flying under the radar. Let’s see what I can come up with this week.
Thank you Bob for stopping by.
fd
Old 02-17-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I remember the original Glen Campbell models - played a few back in the '70s, had a bud who owned one in the '80s, and while they were noticeably shallower (3/4" as I recall) and lighter than the traditional deep-bowl, they were still significantly deeper than the post-1983 super-shallow models that would form the basis for your new squeeze. FWIW they also had a very different tone than their deep-bowl equivalents: less bass/lower-mid meat and lots of cutting power - to my ears combining certain key elements of both Selmer Maccaferri and Epiphone archtop instruments - which made them great acoustic-lead guitars (a style at which Glen admittedly excelled) but less desirable for all-around use and, in spite of the fact that they were cataloged for over two decades, TMK Ovation didn't sell too many relative to their deep-bowl offerings...
Try as I might to pin down a year of first production, Campbell played many EA-86 Vipers in multiple colors over the years. SuperShallow design and a neck that was electric guitar fast was what endeared him to this model.
It became one of his mainstay stage guitars. I’m sure his weren’t built like mine.

5F68811E-350C-4C4F-95A7-20D403A9ADAA.jpg
Old 02-17-2023, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you got a winner! Beautiful guitar, but you already knew that...
Old 02-18-2023, 02:02 AM

Sweet looking guitar Frankie Boy! If it sounds half as good as it looks, you're going to love it!
Old 02-18-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
Looks like you got a winner! Beautiful guitar, but you already knew that...
Hey Mr. Cone!
Yes I have to say it’s a real pretty guitar! My phone doesn’t capture the depth of the color in the burst top. When I peeled back the foam packing bag to unwrap it I genuinely said “WOW”
all the best to you, PineCone
frank d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Sweet looking guitar Frankie Boy! If it sounds half as good as it looks, you're going to love it!
Hello my friend,
You must play one of these if you get the chance, Dano.
It’s ultra light, with a rocket fast neck and incredibly easy to play. I had it cranked thru the Yamaha thr30ii in both the acoustic model and a ubiquitous jazz model. I liked the results.
I have a guitar show that the Freehold Repair guys are presenting down south Jersey today and I want to go say hello, but tomorrow I will run this thru the Marshall AS100d and see how that washes out!

I”ll let you know what I think, Rocky.
frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars