The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 PM

Default effects to amp vs. effects loop?

hi all

just wondering if someone can tell me the difference between hooking my guitar to my effects box then to the amp, versus hooking my guitar straight to the amp, and then using the effects send & return to hook up my effects box (effects loop)?

thank you!
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 PM

if you're talking about your Boss AD3, I'd suggest plugging it "in line", meaning between the guitar and amp/p.a.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
hi all

just wondering if someone can tell me the difference between hooking my guitar to my effects box then to the amp, versus hooking my guitar straight to the amp, and then using the effects send & return to hook up my effects box (effects loop)?

thank you!
It often depends on the gear used. The signal sent by the guitar to an amp if usually not very strong. The effects unit you use may be able to handle that, or it may not. Usually, floor pedals can handle those weak signals. Studio grade rack gear can't. For example, my effects unit runs at +4 dBU. There's no way it would handle the signals coming out of my guitar. I patch it in throught the stereo send return loop in my preamp, which is after the guitar signal has been boosted by the preamp gain. It would sound like crap if I put the effects unit inline (i.e., between the guitar and the preamp).
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Try it and see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
...just wondering if someone can tell me the difference between hooking my guitar to my effects box then to the amp, versus hooking my guitar straight to the amp
Hi Taylor Alf...
The real question is ''Can you tell a difference?'' Hooking your rig up both ways to compare is an easy experiment to conduct on your own.

Some choices concerning effects boil down to practicality versus technicality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 AM

well if your amp has a mix knob for your effects loop, you can dicate how much effect you get...also some effects maybe louder than others if you go through the effects loop it should eliminate that problem and keep the effects the same volume.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification