The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Why nylon / classical (vs. steel-string / western)?

Been playing steel-strings, not very well, for several years. What's the attraction of classical / nylon for y'all?

A La Patrie in a local shop caught my eye, but I'm afraid I would become bored or frustrated with it.

Much obliged.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Why bored/frustrated? Do you get that way with your steel string?

I actually started on nylon, moved over to steel, and have returned to nylon. I would acknowledge that they are really different tools for different applications. If you need one for a particular application, then steel just won't do. In my own case, I am playing duets all the time with a cellist. The steel string, to my ears, was just too thin or tinny or sparkly. The nylon has a mellow, mid-rangy warmth that most steels just don't.

Personally, I also like the tactile feel of them better. I like being able to "dig in" to the strings with my right hand and mangle them a bit. I also like the pianissimo that is possible.

Just different animals, really.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM

I prefer nylon simply because I think it's more expressive than steel, You can really control the dynamics of it. That's not to say you can't play a big variety of styles with steel. Different strokes I would say, personally the music that suites nylon is just much more appealing to my ears. And IMO most of the things you'd play on a steel can also be done pretty well on a electric with a clean setting, that's not the case with nylon.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM

I have always owned and played nylon as well as steel. If I were to have one guitar it would be nylon/classical/flamenco.

I currently have a flamenca blanca cutaway.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM

I've owned 55 guitars in my lifetime! (save me from ebay addiction). My ambition is to get to owning just 3: a classical, a steel string and an electric. I think each have their own qualities and that a guitarist can gain a lot from being able to play each to some standard. I do like a classical: spanish style right hand stuff is just not possible on a steel string + it can be uber rhythmic and precusive and as gentle and mellow as you like.

So I think the 3 guitar aproach has a lot of merit.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 PM

I enjoy playing not very well too

This year I've played probably 80% steel, 20% nylon.
That 20% time on nylon has been great.
The 80% on steel - I've been splitting between between 3 very different sounding guitars.
So on analysis, I've been playing 4 very different sounding instruments about the same amount of time each.

My current lookout is for a 'crossover' nylon. Probably without a spruce top. Maybe part financed by the other steely and other nylon I own that I don't really play.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM

(I prefer a 1 11/16 nut on a steel-string) On a Classical, a nut width just squeezing in under 2" feels a lot more comfortable than a full 2".
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Why nylon?

Because I use more than one color when I paint, too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I visited the guitar shop today. Played the La Patrie Concert, but just couldn't get used to the sound or action. Sounded like a ukelele when I played it. Shop owner made it sound good.

Bought a Simon & Patrick cedar folk (steel) for now.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 AM

Other than an occasional jam on a strat for fun, I play nylon exclusively. Under my fingers, there is more dynamics and a wider range of color. The trade offs are slower and less stable for open/modal tunings, and I also think steel strings in general sound better with saddle pickups than do classicals, but I manage.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Dang... that was fast... I wish he'd a bought it and put about 100 hours into it and then came back and asked the same question...

bummer....

Enjoy the guitar... I was at a bluegrass festival and a young man played one of your guitars in the adult guitar competition... I thought it was, easily, the best sounding guitar for it's price tag....

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post
I actually started on nylon, moved over to steel, and have returned to nylon. I would acknowledge that they are really different tools for different applications. If you need one for a particular application, then steel just won't do. In my own case, I am playing duets all the time with a cellist. The steel string, to my ears, was just too thin or tinny or sparkly. The nylon has a mellow, mid-rangy warmth that most steels just don't.
I am going through that cycle, too! Nylon >> Steel >> nylon. I still have a steel string for those times when it has to be a steel string.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM

I started on nylon in about 1968, then primarily an electric player for 4+ decades. Now I've reacquainted with a crossover nylon, and I am playing altogether different signatures and chordal patterns than have ever occurred to me on steel string. The feel is more humble, and that has improved my articulation and listening. When I play with others, it's still electric, or steel string, but my practice sessions have become much more rewarding on the nylon string. I like it better for singing cause my voice isn't really loud. Hang in there, it really gets better with time.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:42 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with a Simon & Patrick either. If you look at nylons in the future check out the Cordoba C7 - $599 and GK $650 Studios also the 45 MR $999, 55 $1,299 and the Solista $1,599 - these are approximate prices, you'll find they vary somewhat depending on the exact model most models have several variations, from wood types, bianca and negra styles to cutaway or no cutaway etc. Bianca I believe models have a slightly brighter tone more appealing to classical sounds while negra models have a slightly darker tone a bit more flamenco.

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 AM

I had a classical guitar last year and hated it really. I dont play classical and it was impossible to strum and even more annoying for lead. One trick pony, despite the fact its designed to play 2 centuries worth of our musical tradition.

Then I tried a crossover NTX700 again and am going to get back in the fight. The sound and feel of a good crossover is great for more expressive play and plugged in with effects, its another beast. A big plus is the fast lead work you can do with the first, second and third fingers when playing fingerstyle. Less fatigue on the hands, both right and left. Thats huge. I think the nylon has the capacity to do things a steel string would be painful to do without a pick.

And one can always dabble in that Mel Bay Volume One: Classical Guitar if one is inclined.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical