The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM

Default Voyage Air Premier vs. Songwriter

Hello all,

I'm considering buying either a VAOM-1C or a VAOM-04. For those who have tried / compared both models (or other Premier vs. Songwriter models), do you think the quality & tonal difference is really worth the huge jump in price? Is Premier really that much better than Songwriter?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Yes.
Absolutely.
Affirmative.
yup.
uh-huh.
oh-yeah!
(unless you dislike shimmery trebles and liquid midrange)

Disclaimer: I own the songwriter, but only because I already have handbuilts that exceed even the premier (for a bit more bucks, yup). It's a wonderful campfire guitar and I could and have performed with it. Either way you win.

*everything* is a tone control

Last edited by donh; 12-10-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 AM

The 1C isn't 3 times as good as the 04... once you get beyond a certain point what you are paying for are subtleties (and a cutaway of course.) The Premiers have a much richer sound and you get the "coloring" effects of the back and side woods, ie, mahogany sound and rosewood sound. The workmanship is pretty consistent from the 02's to the 2c's so it really comes down to tonal needs/wants and features like the tortoise binding, abalone soundhole ring and the cutaway. You also get the Deluxe case with removable laptop. Generally speaking Voyage Air guitars compare favorably with guitars from companies like Martin and Taylor in the same price ranges so if you would be just as happy with a $500.00 Taylor as a $1500.00 Taylor then the same will hold true with the Voyage Air.

Good luck with your choice... I don't think you can go wrong personally

Harv
Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback... didn't expect a prompt response from "the man"
Harv, Is it possible to order the slim case separately? How much will it cost?

Would be interested to hear more opinions / testimonials from others too.... I've read lots of reviews on VAOM-04, but not the VAOM-1C... let alone a comparison between the two.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobacoba View Post
...Would be interested to hear more opinions / testimonials from others too.... I've read lots of reviews on VAOM-04, but not the VAOM-1C... let alone a comparison between the two.
Hi cobacoba...
I bought a VAOM-06 and had the same dual-source K&K rig (mini plus mic) put in it as my Olson, Bashkin, and Kronbauer.

It is a great performing guitar, and a surprisingly good toned acoustic. I've not been tempted to upgrade to the all-solid, since it's my travel guitar, and because I have an Olson, Bashkin, and Kronbauer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM

I have the VAOM-2c the premier spruce/RW. the quality of this guitar is certainly worth the price - without the amazing ability to fold the neck. I'd love to try this against the entry level Martin OM. Mine is very satisfying for daily use and better than any travel guitar I have played, short of the handmade variety. I'd love to play a handmade Harv with the folding neck.

So no I haven't played the low end model but the premier version is at least comparable to other new $1500 guitars.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
I have the VAOM-2c the premier spruce/RW. the quality of this guitar is certainly worth the price - without the amazing ability to fold the neck. I'd love to try this against the entry level Martin OM. Mine is very satisfying for daily use and better than any travel guitar I have played, short of the handmade variety. I'd love to play a handmade Harv with the folding neck.

So no I haven't played the low end model but the premier version is at least comparable to other new $1500 guitars.

Hans
I have one of my dreads heading out on a Road Show soon, plus my 40th anniversary guitar which I'm "building" over in the "Custom Shop" will be a road show VG as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback... didn't expect a prompt response from "the man"
Harv, Is it possible to order the slim case separately? How much will it cost?

Would be interested to hear more opinions / testimonials from others too.... I've read lots of reviews on VAOM-04, but not the VAOM-1C... let alone a comparison between the two.

Yes, you can order the deluxe case seperately. I don't know if there is a actual set retail price for them, I've been charging $50.00.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm currently road testing a VAOM-06, which I gather is a sort of predecessor to the VAOM-04 and is fairly comparable in material/quality. (There are some differences, but my understanding is that the two guitars are pretty close.)

I am a new player with limited capabilities and an undeveloped ear, so I will just say this and you should take it with a big grain of salt: The VAOM-06 has a very respectable sound (I'm purposefully avoiding tonal adjectives that I don't yet fully grasp, here). It sounds much better than my Seagull F6 + Folk, which is a guitar of similar size.

If you're really obsessive about tone, if you want to gig or record, or if budget is not really a concern, you may wish to upgrade. But if, like me, you want a nice instrument that will play well on when you're traveling and that will keep pace with whatever guitars your family or friends might bring to a casual jam session, I don't believe the VAOM-04 will let you down by any means (unless your friends bring really high end guitars to casual jam sessions).

Sorry to be so vague, I don't want to talk above my pay grade. Hope this helps.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Is it possible to order the slim case separately? How much will it cost?
If you already have the deluxe case, simply zip off the laptop compartment and you now have the slim case!

cost: about 10-12 seconds of your time . . . . .

*everything* is a tone control
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM

I think I'm now leaning towards the 1C. I currently only have 1 guitar which is a pretty nice rosewood dread. So not only the 1C will be an excellent travel mate, I think it will also be a pretty good complement to my dread.

I don't usually go outdoor or camping or go on a boat trip, etc.; my travels are usually driving by car or flying and staying in a hotel. So the all solid woods construction should be strong enough to withstand my travel style's rigor (or the lack thereof). In other words, my travel style doesn't demand the durability of laminates.

I was a bit concerned with the deluxe case being slightly heavier & bulkier than the transit case. But Donh's comment makes sense. Having the option to buy a transit case also eases my concern and maybe something I'll do down the road.

The 1C is pretty expensive... but it's been a tough year for me so I deserve a little guitar lovin' this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Yes, you can order the deluxe case seperately. I don't know if there is a actual set retail price for them, I've been charging $50.00.
Harv,
If I end up buying a 1C, I may buy a transit case from you. Hope it will cost even less than $50

Btw, is the 1C braced differently from the 04? I've been wondering about bracing. VA guitars spend the majority of their life being folded, ie. no string tension, which means it can be braced more aggressively compared to typical guitars without jeopardizing structural integrity. Is this part of your consideration at all when designing the VA guitars?

Last edited by cobacoba; 12-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Btw, is the 1C braced differently from the 04? I've been wondering about bracing. VA guitars spend the majority of their life being folded, ie. no string tension . . . .
Whoa. You're making quite an assumption there. Mine spends its life in a Hercules stand right next to my favorite spot on the couch, ready to play.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 AM

Same bracing on both...

Actually, they are built to be strung up all the time and folded when you travel. Guitars tend to do strange things when not under tension for long periods, especially if the truss rod has been tightened a bit, over time with no tension on the neck it can back-bow.

I can get you the Transit case as well. Currently there isn't much difference in the price, the Deluxe will probably be going up when we have to order more cases because the quantities will be low compared to in the past before we had the Transit and all guitars were shipped in the Deluxe.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Having the extra $$, and after playing a VAOM-06 for a week and a half, I tried my VAD-2, and upgraded. Like Harvey says, the difference is like what you would expect between a $500 and $1500 Taylor.

When I got the 06, my main guitar was a Taylor DN3. My wife and I liked the 06's sound just fine, but agreed that the DN3 was a step above. After I got back from my first two week trip with the VAD-2, I sold the DN3.

I also have a nice 1994 Martin HD-28. When not traveling, the Voyage Air stays at our gallery along side the Martin. Both guitars are out on stands, ready for visitors to play.

They usually go for the Martin first, but every time someone A/B's them, they prefer the VAD-2. They are both Sitka/EIR, solid wood. The Martin is a little deeper that the Voyage Air, but the Voyage Air is noticeably louder, with more presence. It's base is just as full and punchy as the Martin, but the mids and highs are more resonant and clear.

One consideration is that the 04/06 laminate back and sides may be less sensitive to humidity changes. I bring along a planet waves hygrometer and humidifier in case it gets too dry, and that works just fine.

My recommendation is to compare an 04/06 model to one of the premiers, and decide which one you would like to have along on a trip, and also available every day when you get home, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Actually, they are built to be strung up all the time and folded when you travel. Guitars tend to do strange things when not under tension for long periods, especially if the truss rod has been tightened a bit, over time with no tension on the neck it can back-bow.
Harv,
Maybe I worry too much but Sorry I can't get this outta my head.

So are you saying if the guitar is usually folded when stored (only strung up when played), it may develop a neck problem down the road? You're talking about years down the road, right?

If problem develops, what's the remedy? Some kind of neck reset? Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion