The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Question tacoma guitars?

does anyone know anything about these guitars? there is one used in the local shop near me, 650 bucks, so i assume all solid woods and i know for sure its mahogany and spruce, my first impressions sonically werent great, the lows seemed big but muddy and the highs not very present, i did not spend long with it maybe 3 minutes or so, but i want a dreadnaught thats solid wood, nothing terribly expensive...

if anyone has experience with tacoma guitars and if so throw out some advice or maybe some links to sound bytes that would be great,

thanks

2008 taylor 814ce ("veronica")
schecter c 1 plus
tacoma d r12 ("boomer")
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1129 View Post
does anyone know anything about these guitars? there is one used in the local shop near me, 650 bucks, so i assume all solid woods and i know for sure its mahogany and spruce, my first impressions sonically werent great, the lows seemed big but muddy and the highs not very present, i did not spend long with it maybe 3 minutes or so, but i want a dreadnaught thats solid wood, nothing terribly expensive...

if anyone has experience with tacoma guitars and if so throw out some advice or maybe some links to sound bytes that would be great,

thanks
Hi sr...
You answered it for yourself when you ssaid ''my first impressions sonically weren't great...''

Why else are you buying it if not for the sonics. Our opinions won't change the way it sounded to you.

If it just needed new strings, then there is still hope, but name-recognition alone doesn't make a good guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up

Tacoma had different levels of guitar cost and decoration. Generally the 9 series are the least expensive, and go up through 10, 12, 14, 20, 28, 38, and 55... (And some short runs in-between numbers...)

You might think about some new strings on that one you found before passing on it. If it's a 14 series or above, it would be a great deal, if the sound can be coaxed back to life. I have the 28 series, and am really enjoying it.

Also there's the http://www.tacomaguitarforum.com, which is a wealth of info.
Lots of Tacoma freaks hang out there...

Best of luck!
Dave

Last edited by ramsa; 10-04-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Assuming Birmingham, Alabama, there's been a 310 in the Atlanta Craigslist recently in your budget. If you can swing a round trip, it might be a better route.

M
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM

I've played some higher end ones and wasnt terribly impressed. For your price range you'd be much happier with a used Taylor or Martin, and there's plenty that can be had. In fact, I think Martin's X series and even Breedlove Atlas series has new guitars at that range that sound much better than a Tacoma.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 PM

I had a Tacoma DM9 and what you heard with your ears is right...I said had one....The higher end models were better...I dont think you can beat the Martin X series they are right there in sound with the Road Series models I have a X model DX1RGT and a older D1r and they are so close but I am a Martin guy..cib
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Not nearly enough info to make make a determination. How many of us have picked up a D-18 or a D-28 that had old, crappy strings and it sounded like it had a pillow stuffed in the soundhole? I know I have several times. I am on my 8th Tacoma and the tone is anything but muddy and somewhat similar to a Taylor with a little less jangle maybe closer to a Larrivee.

I have never played a laminate Martin or an Atlas that sounded better than my Tacoma DM28. As a matter of fact the Atlas series feel like they were made of lead and were nothing at all like the US counterparts.

Yes I am defending Tacoma because I have owned and played so many over the years. I have also owned Taylors, Larrivees, Yairis and others - all good guitars. I have never judged an entire line of guitars because I played a dud. It's funny how someone can tell someone else how they would be much more happy with this x-brand or that x-brand. I sure am glad no one did that to me or I would have missed out on some great guitars!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I took my Tacoma DM9C with me to my local music store expecting to trade for a Martin. Played every Martin in there from the intro $600 models up to one that was $2800 (not naming the models, so naming prices should be ok by forum rules). I ended up leaving with my Tacoma and a much healthier respect for its tone. To me, it blew the Martins and everything else there out of the water....Guilds and the extreme high-end Fenders. It may have been due to dull strings or something, but nothing came close. Of course, my Tacoma is a pre-Fender model and has had plenty of time to open up (although it has always sounded great to me). If you didn't like it, then don't get it. Simple as that. You'll find something that fits.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Here's a youtube clip of someone playing "Berkley Springs" on a Tacoma JK28C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6y3e...eature=related

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1129 View Post

thanks
I started to learn guitar in 1959. One thing I've learned from playing all these years is that, especially when it comes to acoustic guitars, you play it and if you like the sound and the way you "connect" with the instrument you buy it. If not, keep looking. I've played some pretty mediocre name brand instruments and some mighty impressive off brands and so-called entry level instruments. Ya gotta play it to know.

I decided on my Alvarez J-200N clone back in '73 after playing it against a Gibson J-200N in the same store. The Alvarez kicked the Gibson's butt for a fraction of the price and it's still kicking butt. I bought my Ovation Celebrity to have as a "throwaway" guitar for traveling, but I still played all 7 they had in stock at the time and went with the one I have now. It's a pretty sweet guitar for a cheapy.

My Tacoma DM9 is one of my all time favorites. I bought it a couple of months ago for $250 from a guy on Craig's List. It's pristine. It had been sitting in the case for 6 years without being played and had DEAD strings. I STILL liked the way it sounded and was willing to take a chance it would sound better with new strings. I was right. Went back with D'Addario strings like it came with and I'm very satisfied. I don't know how it sounds compared to other DM9s, but it will hold its own with most of the Martin D15s and DMs I've played. I've played it more since I bought it than I have my other guitars and they're getting jealous.

I'm not a tonewood fanatic when it comes to body woods. Back in the 1800s, Torres built a guitar with a papier mache body that (according to all accounts) sounded great. He did it to show that the top is the main component in sound. Ovation and, more recently, Martin's X series guitars support that. That said, mahogany does seem to impart a warmer sound (that some people think is muddy) and rosewood a little brighter sound. If I'm looking at a guitar in a shop and the strings are dead, I'll ask them to replace the strings so I can try it out. I've never been refused. They want to make a sale.

You didn't say what year the guitar you're looking at is. If you have the serial number you can find out a lot about the guitar (year it was made, whether it's a first quality instrument, or if it's been returned to the factory for repairs). From what I've seen DM9s going for online, $650 seems to be a fair price. If you decide you want the guitar, though, it can't hurt to dicker a little. Good luck.

Last edited by dawhealer; 10-05-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I have one of the "newer" ones from 2005.DM9E6 actually.
For the price it's very decent.I had a D-18 Martin at one point and the Tacoma was definitely comparable in sound quality. As with any new guitar you need to have a proper set up, with new strings.
Yeah, it may not look as pretty as a solid wood Martin or Taylor (of which I have owned several),but it's tone agrees with me.

Last edited by guitargabor; 10-05-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM

Get your Tacoma while you still can.
They are not making them anymore.
Fender has moved the manufacturing of their acoustic lines back East again and Tacoma isn't going with them.
Too bad Tacoma was a great Guitar Company.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Get your Tacoma while you still can.
They are not making them anymore.
Fender has moved the manufacturing of their acoustic lines back East again and Tacoma isn't going with them.
Too bad Tacoma was a great Guitar Company.
I know Fender has moved Guild back to the east but I have never heard that Tacoma as a brand is now defunct and no longer will be made. Do you have a source for this?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Bill,

I don't remember the source, but I have definitely heard this multiple times. There's no sign of the Tacoma brand actually being continued in New Hartford. Fender has done less than nothing to promote Tacoma since they bought the brand and the production in 2005.

I *did* hear first hand from the GM/VP of the Kaman Group that the Guild stuff was coming together in New Hartford. No guitars built yet, though...
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Oh, by the way, I played a DR-14 (rosewood, not mahogany) that was a wonderful guitar, and a great bargain for solid rosewood dread. I was not as taken with the sound of the DM-9 (mahogany) models I tried.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion