The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Default fret buzz

Hello gurus: My 3-year-old Epi Dove Pro is a decent-enough instrument, but is now plagued by a rattle on the second fret of the two high strings (seems worse on the B than than the E). I am in San Diego and am not handy myself. I want to be rid of the buzz but don't know the protocol for putting money into the repair of an inexpensive instrument. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Daniel
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeewhy View Post
Hello gurus: My 3-year-old Epi Dove Pro is a decent-enough instrument, but is now plagued by a rattle on the second fret of the two high strings (seems worse on the B than than the E). I am in San Diego and am not handy myself. I want to be rid of the buzz but don't know the protocol for putting money into the repair of an inexpensive instrument. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Daniel
Probably you will need some fretwork (levelling and re-crowning).

Ask to see some guitars they have fret-dressed and you can get a sense of their quality.

Do you play the A major or A7 chord a lot?? In the keys of D and A??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM

One of two things has happened. Either the second fret has worn more than the others and is a bit lower, or a fret below the second fret has risen and is a bit higher. You can probably tell by looking which one of these things has happened.

If it's the first, you'll need some professional fretwork.

If it's the second, you can try to reseat the high fret, a couple of LIGHT taps with a small hammer will work. You can use a small block of wood on top of the fret to avoid denting the fret. It may hold and be fine, but it may pop back up and need to be glued.

Just thought I'd post the possibility it could be a 30 second fix. Not terribly likely, but possible.
et al
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Thanks Ned & Rodger

Ned: Yes, I play in A and D a lot. Is a habit.
Rodger: I will try that when I get home - hopefully it is the easy fix, though reading your post and Ned's together, I suspect it is excessive wear on the 2d fret.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:01 PM

On a guitar like that I would suspect a loose fret over a worn one, especially if its just one or two. Try pressing the edge of a suspect fret with a metal tool. I bet you will see it move in the slot. Fix is to clamp and glue it down with CA glue.

-r
Old 05-10-2015, 12:25 AM

You could take a virtual trip over to FRETS.COM and go through the Buzz Diagnosis Pages to narrow down the possibilities.

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair