The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Pickups for Blackbird Savoy

I noticed that the bracing for the top of the Savoy is somewhat unique. Imagine the guitar standing straight up on its endpin, facing you. One of the braces on the under-side of the top extends from the bottom edge of the primary soundhole straight to the center of the bridge plate, running directly along the center line between the D and G strings, but inside the guitar. Hopefully, you can picture what I'm describing. I wonder whether that brace would interfere with the usual bridge plate pickups, like a three element K&K or JJB, an L.R. Baggs Lyric (or Anthem), or other pickups that sit in that position between the D and G strings on the bridge plate, directly beneath the saddle. One model of bridge plate pickup that would seem to ideally fit is the Trance Amulet because it has two elements that sit on either side of the center position, not directly at the center like the three-element transducers or the L.R. Baggs Tru-Mic. The Trance Amulet seems to be high quality, but it is also expensive compared to some of the other options, and except for Maury Rutch and Jackson Browne, not too many people seem to know a lot about them.

Besides the Misi with the Fishman UST that is offered by Blackbird, what other pickup systems have been successfully mounted in a Savoy, what problems were encountered, and what sound results were achieved? Thanks for any information.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Joe offered to put the K&K in the Savoy and didn't indicate there were any issues.

I don't have the guitar yet, so no "test data".... maybe in a few more weeks.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 PM

I've been wondering about putting a K&K in mine. The bridge plate/brace is tiny.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Guest 928

I've had the K&K in my cargo, a Rainsong, and two Emeralds. I like it a lot.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Guest 928

You might also want to look in to the Barbera pickup.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Hi,

I just ordered my savoy and el capitan. These guitars are coming with K&K pickups which based on the guitar designs are easier to dial in then guitars with off set soundholes and traditional CF guitars because of CF strength may not have a traditional sound plate to mount according to Joe.

Hope this helps....

Chris
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats Chris! You’re one lucky guy to be able to get both at the same time. These are not inexpensive instruments. I certainly look forward to your future pics and reviews. How long is the wait?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Thank you Tom.... I sold all my acoustic guitars and started a journey to get down to "the one" and found two.. !!!!!

Now sitting with just my outdoor uke and tele.. :-). Dec for Savoy and Jan for El Capitan.

I had a great opportunity last spring to visit San Fan and Joe and played both and that started my journey.... What really struck me was that while I was playing .. I totally forgot that I was playing a composite guitar but just playing a really good guitar and got lost in the music.

Hi praise to Joe @ blackbird and Ted @laguitars in helping me with my thought process and choices!!!!

Will share as soon as I get them!!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Thank you.... I sold all my acoustic guitars and started a journey to get down to "the one" and found two.. !!!!!

Now sitting with just my outdoor uke and tele.. :-). Dec for Savoy and Jan for El Capitan.

I had a great opportunity last spring to visit San Fan and Joe and played both and that started my journey.... What really struck me was that while I was playing .. I totally forgot that I was playing a composite guitar but just playing a really good guitar and got lost in the music.

Hi praise to Joe @ blackbird and Ted @laguitars in helping me with my thought process and choices!!!!
I recall that you sold-off your guitars. It’s great that you had the opportunity to play both. Will both guitars be standard all ekoa, or either with burst? Which tuning machines did you opt for? Fretboard markers...dots, large line type or none (just side dots)?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Guest 928

Fixed;

Congratulations on some incredible decision making. I don't think you can go wrong with Blackbird and you've just ordered what should be lifetimes of joy. I look forward to reports, pictures, and video.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I recall that you sold-off your guitars. It’s great that you had the opportunity to play both. Will both guitars be standard all ekoa, or either with burst? Which tuning machines did you opt for? Fretboard markers...dots, large line type or none (just side dots)?
Thanks !!! Here is what I opted for:

1. All ekoa... the pictures do not do it justice...and kind of a simple guitar kind of guy..:-)
2. Opted for the delux rosette on the captain. Wanted it to match the savoy and will have the same rosette put on the fallon when I order latter in 2018. Be cool to have the family resemblance. Also no pickguard.. love the elegant simplicity of thes eguitars.
3. Frett board dots as standard.
4. On tuners did not specify... but maybe I should???

Ted is an expert on these options and how they look aesthetically based on your expectations. He has sold a bunch of these and is great to work through with.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fixed;

Congratulations on some incredible decision making. I don't think you can go wrong with Blackbird and you've just ordered what should be lifetimes of joy. I look forward to reports, pictures, and video.
Thanks Evan... this is high praise from you!!! To be honest it was with the help of many of the long time friends (you, Barb, Penny, Tom, Kramster..ect) from the old MacNicols board that we grew together over the years as well as our new friends here. I miss Martin and can only imagine what these guitars would have sounded like in his hands... maybe some day!!!

This is a great place to sort out our preferences!!!!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Chris! That should make a great pair for your playing enjoyment - looking forward to the photos and reviews on the NGDs.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Thanks !!! Here is what I opted for:

1. All ekoa... the pictures do not do it justice...and kind of a simple guitar kind of guy..:-)
2. Opted for the delux rosette on the captain. Wanted it to match the savoy and will have the same rosette put on the fallon when I order latter in 2018. Be cool to have the family resemblance. Also no pickguard.. love the elegant simplicity of thes eguitars.
3. Frett board dots as standard.
4. On tuners did not specify... but maybe I should???

Ted is an expert on these options and how they look aesthetically based on your expectations. He has sold a bunch of these and is great to work through with.

Hope this helps...
The standard Gotohs Blackbird is using on the Savoy look good and I’m sure are excellent quality, but I’m partial to the 510s. AGFer Tøf posted his NGD Savoy thread a couple of months ago and he opted for the 510s on his burst Savoy and I find they look great...better than the standard. If it was me, I’d absolutely go with the 510s on the Savoy, and the El Cap.

Fwiw, here’s Tøf’s Savoy...

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-09-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Guest 928

CLEAN AND ARISTOCRATIC --A REGAL GUITAR.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber