The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Fender Acoutic Pro Amp - HELP!! Expertise needed

Has anyone tried these out? I am new to acoustic amps (relatively) - but I played one of these yesterday at my local shop, and I was blown away. I went there to check out guitars, and ended up with this amp on my mind every second since leaving! This obviously comes with a hefty price tag (it would be my second amp, but my only amp right now - I sold a 40watt RMS a while back). So my question is - what is the philosophy here, should I spend more up front on one of these babies, rather than buy an amp for around $500, and wish I had saved up for the Fender? Does anyone have experience with these? Basically I am just an audiophile - I am not using this for gigging, I just love the sound I got out of it, and it will encourage me to play more!
Here is a link:
http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifi...0.html#start=1
If you have any recommendations for other amps that are more affordable with AMAZING sound quality like this amp - I am all ears! I also am just stumbling upon PA systems for acoustics, but I have no idea how to set one up in terms of the parts I would need etc. Thanks guys - y'all are the best!

Ben

Last edited by bmesi; 12-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 PM

I think you'll discover a couple of things on this website...

First, Fender acoustic amps don't get a lot of love because, unlike their electric guitar amp counterparts, most folks just don't like 'em that much. Same goes for their acoustic guitars.

Second, I think many AGF members feel that, while the new Fender acoustic amps looks and sounds promising, there are several really nice proven amps in the same (relative) price range that been tried, tested and found road and tone worthy.

AER
Bose
Fishman
Schertler
Genz-Benz

I'm curious about these amps myself but would not give up my Schertler Jam150 or Bose Compact to find out.

That said, my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe electric guitar amp is the bee's knees.

These are very general observations but I think they'll hold up...If you pull the trigger please post an extensive review. Inquiring minds want to know!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-17-2015, 09:33 PM

I have the Fender SFX amp....Fantastic amp and worth every penny. It'll sound fabulous for years. I tried using it at my senior center gig, and I let one of the other guitarists play thru it so I could go out in the crowd and hear what it sounds like...my impression his guitar sounded just like an acoustic guitar should, just louder. It cut thru all the crowd noise without any problem. So I was really happy with my live gig experiment.

I now mostly have it for use in my home and it sounds great.

I had the chance to send it back, but decided to keep it. I just liked it that much.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 PM

I tried the Fender SFX, very interesting and attractive sound dispersion, bell-like clarity, really great room coverage at low to med. volume. A very attractive amplifier, sounds great. I think at 160 watts, it's the little brother to the Acoustic Pro.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 PM

the Acoustic Pro would have been overkill for me...I don't need 200 watts for my living room. Plus it doesn't have all the really cool sounding effects that the SFX has. It has reverb but not the other ones.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 PM

I hear you. I would likely get the SFX, to save $100 since it will be a living room amp for me. I just had the opportunity to try the Pro - but I assume the SFX sounds the same, except a little less power.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my first post! I'll admit I was a bit nervous to post, no idea why - but I didn't wanna screw it up! I appreciate all input - I think I am going to pull the trigger on this amp once I pay off the rest of the Yamaha AC3R I just bought. This will be the next piece of gear I purchase through AMS payment plan!

Thanks guys and have a great weekend!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:41 PM

The SFX has a bunch of great effects that the PRO doesn't have. Like two different types of delay, chorus and vibe effect. Both amps have the reverb, and eq. Not only did I save $100 bucks but I got the great sounding effects as well. Repeat...the PRO amp does NOT have those same effects. It's a whole different amp that is mainly for playing out at larger venues than coffee shops.

My SFX filled a 100' x 100' gymnasium with sound no problem. It sounds great in my living room.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Default SFX vs Pro vs. Marshall AS500/100d

Has anyone compared the Fender SFX/Pro vs the Marshall AS50d/AS100d??

Regarding the Fenders, the SFX sounds amazing. It has the effects mentioned above, plus is has a speaker on the side of the cabinet for stereo which sounds fantastic, and it's $100 cheaper than the Pro. The trade off is that you are married to the SFX effects because the SFX doesn't have an effects loop like the Pro does (most effects could be run in front of it, but I prefer to use effects loops where possible).

Marshall, on the other hand, has a similar set up. The AS50 is 50 watts, but the AS100d is twice the wattage, has tons of effects, still has an effects loop, and essentially has 4 channels.

I have never tried the Marshalls. What do you all think of them? As for Fender, their older Acoustasonic series does not get much love, but the new ones are truly inspiring. I like Fishman, but personally, I think the Fenders blow away Fishman's loudboxes.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM

I have an older Marshall model the AS50D, I like it just fine but the reverb in it is terrible. The Fender SFX just sounds better all around. It's definitely a nice upgrade.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 PM

For 9 yrs now I've done solo gigs with my '06 Guild D-55 and an '06 Fender Acoustasonic JR DSP amp. Also in my stash are a Fishman Mini and a Fishman Performer.

The Fishmans are superior to the Fender in terms of guitar tone. However, the vocal channel on the Fender is the best I've heard on any acoustic amp (I sing through a SM58). The guitar channel isn't great, but it's good enough. That's why I always gig with the Fender. I also love the tilt-back legs that my sound to the back of the room.

I haven't played the new Fender mentioned by the OP, but I'll be sticking with my current Fender for sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:28 AM

Has anyone tried running their vocals through the Fender Acoustic SFX or Acoustic Pro? Wondering what they sound like through these amps.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

There doesn't seem to be a handle on these amps. How do you carry them around?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post

To justify the price, Fender developed new technology. These amps levitate to your gig. They also go up to "11." Just punch in the address (or GPS coordinates) and, with luck, the amp will arrive in 3 to 5 days. You're gig will be over (just use your Fishman in the interim), but the savings in gas, and back pain, are totally worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
There is a handle, it's built into the top...very easy to carry around.

The one thing about this amp, is that it sounds so good it'll bring the fans up to talk to you and tell you how good it sounds.

I played it again the other night and again I was blown away with it. It just sounds great !!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmesi View Post
Has anyone tried these out? I am new to acoustic amps (relatively) - but I played one of these yesterday at my local shop, and I was blown away. I went there to check out guitars, and ended up with this amp on my mind every second since leaving! This obviously comes with a hefty price tag (it would be my second amp, but my only amp right now - I sold a 40watt RMS a while back). So my question is - what is the philosophy here, should I spend more up front on one of these babies, rather than buy an amp for around $500, and wish I had saved up for the Fender? Does anyone have experience with these? Basically I am just an audiophile - I am not using this for gigging, I just love the sound I got out of it, and it will encourage me to play more!
Here is a link:
http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifi...0.html#start=1
If you have any recommendations for other amps that are more affordable with AMAZING sound quality like this amp - I am all ears! I also am just stumbling upon PA systems for acoustics, but I have no idea how to set one up in terms of the parts I would need etc. Thanks guys - y'all are the best!

Ben
Always buy gear that you really want - in this case, an amp. Don't buy another amp simply because it is lower priced. It's great when the two considerations of low price and desirability coincide, but if they don't, then wait until you can buy what you want.

These new Fender Acoustic Pro series amps are fabulous, I agree.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification