The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM

Default Gibson LGO

What is the value of a 1967 Gibson LGO? The guitar is all original except the tuners which are a match copy with no extra holes.The finish is very good with no checking just a few nicks.Action is good with plenty of saddle left,neck is straight,intonation is good and it stays in tune.There are 2 significant cracks in the back and 2 on the top.There is a very slight lift in the bridge.The cracks look like they have been there for awhile and seem stable.I plan to humidify the guitar and fix the cracks if needed.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Guest 728

There's a '67 priced at $599 on Reverb right now. I doesn't seem to have any cracks, but it's well used. This '65 has some damage, and is selling at $650.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Willie thanks for the quick response.I paid $250 which I thought was a good deal but now seems about right.How do you like your LG2?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
There's a '67 priced at $599 on Reverb right now. I doesn't seem to have any cracks, but it's well used. This '65 has some damage, and is selling at $650.
That '65 looks really nice!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Congrats,

You did good on the price as given the repairs needed you probably will still not end up underwater in terms of what the guitar would be worth in a future re-sale. Or if you are like me you just do not care about value.

You cannot ignore cracks hoping they are "stable." Nor can you put off getting a lifting bridge reset. In the 1960s Gibson slapped guitars together with Weldwood cement which becomes very brittle with the passage of time. If you bring the guitar in for repairs I would also recommend you have the bridge plate checked. Gibson used soft spruce plates in their lower end guitars. Not the best thing for sound or survival. I have seen those things chewed to pieces.

Last edited by zombywoof; 11-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zitelli View Post
How do you like your LG2?
It's probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
It's probably my favorite guitar I've ever owned!
There is a world of difference, of course, between an LG-0 and an LG-2. The last one I owned was a script logo '46. Stayed with me many years. It took a CF-100 to take it place.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 AM

Default What's it worth?

About $75, I'd say. But that was in excellent condition, and it was in 1970. I found it around the corner from the Ryman Auditorium, at George Greuhn's first storefront, called "GTR." That sign still sits by the door of his shop, but the guitar's long gone. Maybe it's yours now, enjoy! It was a dandy little strummer with a sweet tone, almost a parlour guitar. Bottom of the line, but made with care.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion