The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Default a little more Collings CJ vs CJ35 please

Its not like I can get to a store and play the two against each other. I'm actually thinking about buying one online. I know. Yikes. Gas'in. I read somewhere that the CJ35 has more bass. Don't know where I read it, and I trust you guys a lot more than the internet... I played a CJ (used) and liked it but sticker shock shut down any thoughts of buying it. Now I'm gas'in and its gone. Wish I'd bought it.

So, I'm still looking. I've mentally upped the ante, which brings me close to some interesting choices. It seems like the quality of the instrument makes an internet purchase a little less risky. Maybe their marketing got me, or maybe I can still hear that CJ, but I seem to lean towards Collings. (It's a must to get to good stores isn't it. I gotta get out more)

So CJ35 MH SS I read more mid range, anyone concur with more bass? Is playing it really a must or are they more consistent than, you know, lower priced instruments?

Many thanks.
RNF
Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 PM

There are lots of demos and reviews of each of these guitars on Youtube. I would start there if you haven't already done so.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 PM

Default True

Yeah, that's true, it's a good idea and I'll dig a little deeper with that, maybe I can get a side by side. But I have a pretty crummy sound system. And, playing these things is like you know, visceral. I'd put more weight in the opinions I find here than I would my speakers.

I guess I'll put in the miles and hours to go find at least one, and maybe even both, but I'd still feel like I'd benefit being armed with your thoughts. Sitting down in a showroom squeezing out a few tunes in the din of a showroom of people squeezing out a few tunes is not that great for me.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 PM

Ricky Nelson - First, please say howdy to Ozzie and Harriet for me. As far as "reality TV shows" featuring family units go, I vastly preferred yours compared to, say, the Kardashians....

Secondly, I have had a chance to compare those two Collings models side by sides a couple of years running, during my yearly visits to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas. The owner of Mass Street, Jim Baggett, was one of the earliest Collings dealers and remains one of the most influential of their dealers in terms of the product line that Collings has offered over the years.

Both Jim and I are from KC, and knew each forty years ago, back when we both had long blond ponytails. I swing by Lawrence and visit Jim's store whenever I visit our mutual hometown.

Anyway, in my experience the difference between those two models isn't a matter of bass response, per se, but rather in how projective the guitars are. They both have the same body shape and size, but the difference in the bracing means that the Collings CJ has a more "SurroundSound" enveloping sort of sound, whereas the CJ35 has a more "reach out and touch someone" projective sound that will cut through the mix and be more focused.

Both are very tonally balanced from bass to treble. But the CJ35 cuts through a crowd better, while the CJ has more of the fat, enveloping sound you'd get from a Gibson J-45 or Martin D-35.

The Collings CJ35 is based on a vintage Gibson J-35 that is in Jim's personal collection. It was made during a period when Gibson used straight, unscalloped braces on that model.

Anyway, both are terrific guitars. But instead of thinking in terms of bass response versus treble response, with these two Collings guitars you should be thinking: "Do I want a guitar that will cut through the mix better, or one that will give me a great big fuzzy hug?"

"Great big fuzzy hug" is technical luthier jargon, by the way. I could get in a LOT of trouble if the Guild of American Luthiers ever finds out I've been using that terminology around civilians.....

Seriously, think in terms of projection rather than bass response. There are subtle differences in tone between the two models, too, but how they present and how the sound comes out in front of them is really the critical difference here.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-22-2017, 12:00 AM

Thanks Wade!! That's exactly the kind of assessment / input I was hoping to get. An awesome comparison for me to work with, listening online, or if I actually play one or both. If and when I get a chance. I have of course done some reading. I've noticed some the connection between Jim Baggett, Mass Music and Collings, but the back story is always more interesting. Very cool. Thanks!

I grew up with the name Richard Nelson. And hey, the guy was kind of underrated. The user name seemed like a good idea at the time. Wish I had his guitars.
Many thanks
Ricky Nelson Fisher
Old 11-22-2017, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I went through the audition of both versions and ended up preferring the CJ for my taste. Wade gives a great description and I agree with his impressions with one exception. I found my CJ to be more percussive with a sweeter/richer bass than any CJ35 I’ve ever played. I owned my CJ for about 3 years before moving it along for something new. I thought it was an outstanding guitar. It’s one of the few guitars that I’ve sold that makes me question my decision to sell.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Default again

Thanks sooo much. I thought I'd get a few more responses, so I appreciate you guys kicking in that much more! Its exactly the kind of help I was looking for. It gives me kind of a base line to help me listen.

Its probably just me, but its kind of difficult for me to go play guitars and evaluate them. I cant really differentiate between them accurately and then retain that assessment in my head to compare it to the next one. My preference will come more from a feeling towards a guitar rather than a good critical evaluation. I buy very few guitars. I'm a buy and hold guy. This is a pretty big deal for me.

To make it even more confusing my wife was listening to a CJ35 vs a D18 over my should online last night and said she liked the D18. As she's the one who listens to my efforts more than anyone, I seriously might let her decide! Or at least try to listen to her opinions.

When it comes, I'll post my NGD.

I'll probably look for more opinions before that day.
Many thanks!
RNF
Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Ricky Nelson - First, please say howdy to Ozzie and Harriet for me. As far as "reality TV shows" featuring family units go, I vastly preferred yours compared to, say, the Kardashians....

Wade Hampton Miller

Wade thanks. I needed that chuckle. Now don't go in the deep end of the pool.

I love the sound of both those guitars. Ricky, if you are unable to play first I would try to get the one with the best deal. You wont go wrong with them. The neck is a little big for me.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I play mostly Collings guitars, but 12 fret dreads and 000.

I had the privilege of meeting Bill and Jim in Exeter (Devon) when they briefly visited the UK a while ago.

Bill was very excited about the bracing of the CJ-35 - an extra brace of some such which I confess In didn't really understand, nor was I overly interested.

Obviously Wade has the tonal distinctions down , but what i wanted to say was that, I've never heard of anyone being disappointed with a Collings guitar.

Buying a new "quality" guitar gives you the opportunity to open it up yourself with your own playing style, and in my humble opinion, the instrument and the player influence each other to achieve the most satisfying tone.

Something else you should be aware of - whilst the CJ is prettier in presentation, for some reason that have a skinny rhythm neck on it - 1 & 11/16" to 2 & 3/16" spacing, whilst the CJ-35 has the slightly wider neck with 1 & 3/4" to 2 & 5/16" both too skinny for me , but this may be an important factor depending on your finger sizes and playing style.

That's why my only Jumbo style is a Santa Cruz "RS" .
Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Hi Ricky, Wade's description was spot on for the CJ-35. Mine has a rather chunky neck (in a good way).
This is my friend Ian from the Meadows Bros. playing it in the demo.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 11-26-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Nice git

That thing sounds great!
Looks great too.
Based on Wades comment, and the fact that I play by myself 95% of the time now, I thought I'd look for a CJ, but...
Is your's mahogany or rosewood?

Thanks
RNF

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 11-26-2017 at 04:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion