The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Default orange micro terror question

i see these orange micro terror's for $150 with great reviews, however i dont always trust reviews being receiving a new item always causes excitement at 1st, anyway- then i can find a slew of them used for $100, i just wondered if there were opinions on these like a real usable amp or just a novelty phase
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Have not played the any of the terror series but I have a Crush RT 20 and it is a great little amp

here is an Andertons vid they are cranking it quite abit but I am sure there are more youtube videos if you search it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Joyo has a competing amp...

to the micro terror. Six different versions (from blues to metal) and although I have not played one of these Bantamps they are getting decent reviews. Run about $150...

http://joyo-amps.com/bantamp-zombie/

https://youtu.be/Hgaww9yiIN0

Last edited by wcguitar; 11-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Blackstar also has a tiny amp... limited in it's scope, but the sounds it makes are really nice... can't recall the name of the thing right now, but it is REALLY small. I believe you can buy the little amp/speaker with an additional little extension speaker for around $125...

Vox is making some cool little amps, too. A friend of mine has one of the AC-4 amps and he LOVES it! His other amps are a mid-70's Deluxe Reverb and an Egnater head with a speaker cabinet... but he's been playing that little Vox almost exclusively...

You can dial in whether you want 1/10th of a watt, 1 watt or 4 watts... at 1/10th of a watt, you can get it sounding VERY nasty, yet not blow the other players away with the volume level. Seems a very useful little tool...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 AM

The Micro TError and the 1-watt Blackstar HT1 are totally different propositions. The Orange amps are indeed popular, and make sense (IMO) if you want to sound like every other generic high gain player out there. They are an ideal sound platform for some players, but not for me -- and I used an Orange AD30R (NOT the "Crush"!) for many years. The HT1 is a low volume (1 watt) amp that is entirely designed for that purpose. It is versatile tonally, and if you play it through a regular cab, can give a full range sound but at low volume. I absolutely love mine, and typically plug straight in and play an electric at an acoustic volume (often in a du w/ an acoustic player). Sorry to be a crank, but there are about a million players using the various Terrors, and they all sound the same.Blackstars are much more versatile, but the price goes up fast after the HT1.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 PM

I think the previous post was a little over negatively opinionated

Hopefully it doesn't put you off Orange. It's just one opinion.

Orange amps have their sound. It's not a generic sound at all ... it's an Orange sound. Many people love the Orange sound. Many people don't. But it's a sound ... as demonstrated by the multitude of major Orange artists.

The Micro Terror range isn't my favourite ... it's loud enough for a small gig or mic'd gig and quiet enough for home use (typical transistor amp really). In fact, it's smallest gigable rig I've seen and can go seriously loud. But it's not a valve amp and doesn't play like one.

I have an Orange Dark Terror and this plays totally different to the Micro Dark Terror. IMO this is where the difference lies in the Terror and Micro Terror range ... the way they play. The Dark Terror is hyper sensitive to guitar settings. If you ride the volume and tone controls of your guitar then this is a great amp to try. You can not get the same play effect from the Micro Dark Terror.

I prefer some of my other amps ... especially my Laney Lionheart ... but sometimes the Orange comes out because it really cuts through any mix (in a good way).

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-24-2017 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM

I used to own a Micro Terror, and its a fantastic little amp for what it is and for the money it costs.
Its not a 2000€ Rockerverb, but that is to be expected.

It is incredibly loud for a 20W hybrid amp, loud enough for a drummer for sure.
It does sound good too, and while it is missing some of the bottom end of a big iron tube amp, it does its job very well for what it is.

It has the Orange signature sound, the strong low mids and the "fuzzy" gain, that is typical for that brand. Its admittedly a one-trick pony, but it does that trick quite well. Cleans are not really possible at band loudness, but you don't buy an Orange for clean sounds anyway IMHO.

The shape knob is the only thing I didn't like, I much prefer a 3-band EQ.
It does work in dialing quite an array of different sounds, but is ultimately limiting compared to a real EQ.

And it needs an overdrive as boost in front if you wanna play metal, not quite enough gain and a little loose in the bottom end. But many amps need that.

You can get a really nice AC/DC type crunch out of it, and many other classic rock sounds. Hard rock even, with some hot pickups.

It is definitely a real, useable amp - if you can get one for a decent price used, don't hesitate.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM

tell you the truth, i was looking for opinions on these-, i'll have to go to guitar center and start trying different amps with 'my' guitar- i really do like frontman 25R i own- but it will cost more to fix it then the amp is worth, if worse comes to worse, i guess i could just buy another used one
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 PM

If you go and get one, stay away from the little 8" cab, get yourself a decent 1x12. It'll sound much better, even at lower volumes

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 AM

I have one running thru an Orange 2x12....Awesome..I take it on business trips with headphones and practice to my hearts content...Great for the money, you wont be disappointed...
Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 AM

i went to GC and tried different amps- they didnt have the micro terror, but i tried the line 6, bugera, mustang 1, acoustic lead series, orange 20 watt,others, from what i see, any low price amp with a stock 8" speaker just doesnt cut it, i really wish they had the micro terror so i could of tried it with a 10" speaker, but i might end up just buying another used frontman 25r
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars