The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Easy mistake to make?

So, why haven't I heard of it before?

While I have been changing the strings on steel string guitars for 40 years, I have only recently been exploring "The Dark Side," classical guitar. With this most recent change, I made a mistake so understandable that I wonder why I've never seen mention of it. I tied the strings so that they passed over the top of the tie block directly to the saddle. That is, the angle of the strings was left much more oblique than when correctly done. (Can you kids at home say "fret buzz?")

I guess I have a couple of choices here: one, wonder how I could have been so stupid; two, admire so interesting a mistake; or three, embrace the unexpected opportunity to practice re-stringing a classical guitar.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I change strings on my classical maybe twice a year (and that's an overstatement). I'm lucky that they even finally stay in tune after a week of stretching and slipping.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Guest 2143

I would opt for option three. My guess is that not too many people make the mistake you made because stringing most classical guitars as you described would result in very little to no break angle over the saddle. I would imagine that on some guitars the strings might not even touch the saddle.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I change strings on my classical maybe twice a year (and that's an overstatement). I'm lucky that they even finally stay in tune after a week of stretching and slipping.
I'm working on a solution to that problem as well. I'm likely to be buying a second classical to use while the first is inaccessible.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Just in the interest of saving time, I have pondered trying the Diamond branded string ties, to ease the hassle of string changes on my classical...
Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

We could always just wus out and get ball ends,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Just in the interest of saving time, I have pondered trying the Diamond branded string ties, to ease the hassle of string changes on my classical...

I use these... think they are GREAT....
Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
I use these... think they are GREAT....
+1 Just installed them for the first time last string change.

Got a set for the Uke as well.

The look cool too.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Alrighty then! I am going to get some of these in order! I just picked up a new little Cordoba C5 Limited. It’ll be a great candidate for those string ties.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Perhaps I'm just doing it differently, but my classical strings do not take that long to stretch out. I change mine probably about 4x a year and they hold their tune usually a day or two after installing them. I recommend that you not cut the string at all toward the tuning peg and instead wind the entire string on the peg. Also, once installed, I recommend tugging on each string to stretch it and then retune. Do this several times and you should be good to go.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Update.

After ten days of enduring "good enough for a beginner," I undid and restrung my guitar. The bad news: I broke a string, and, unexpectedly, the "pre-stretched" strings need a little time. Again!. The good news, I had a replacement string lying in wait, and the guitar's voice was absolutely transubstantiated.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM

I've got a Stephen Kakos guitar that has a nifty tie situation. There are actually 12 holes in the bridge so there is no tie whatsoever and it brings more pressure on the saddle. You end up winding the string through twice and kinda looping it through.
At first it threw me, but now I love it! Super easy to string!
I'll see if I can grab a picture..
Mark
Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceforce View Post
I've got a Stephen Kakos guitar that has a nifty tie situation.
Kakos is a good guy and makes nice guitars. When I was in Mpls, many of my colleagues played his guitars.

My Traphagen is my main guitar and also uses the 12 holes. To Lake, the original poster, I wouldn't feel bad about this. Whenever I go to change strings on one of my other classical guitars I still get confused! ;-)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I use those, but I find them to be as much work as tying the strings. You would avoid routing the strings the wrong way.

Last edited by k_russell; 11-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical