The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Get a touchscreen chromebook, you won't regret being able to ditch the mouse for web browsing. I'm partial to the Acer R11 flip (we have two of them). It is a limited platform and cannot replace Windows or Mac for many applications that currently aren't possible via a browser (native apps for Chromebook still have a way to go), it completely replaced one family member's Windows laptop. It has been indispensable for our (unfortunately frequent) trips to the hospital because of it's portability & light weight. Also a great support platform since you can run RDP & Teamviewer on it, and - with the addition of a USB to Ethernet adapter - it can be easily turned into a penetration testing/security device.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
Get a touchscreen chromebook, you won't regret being able to ditch the mouse for web browsing. I'm partial to the Acer R11 flip (we have two of them). It is a limited platform and cannot replace Windows or Mac for many applications that currently aren't possible via a browser (native apps for Chromebook still have a way to go), it completely replaced one family member's Windows laptop. It has been indispensable for our (unfortunately frequent) trips to the hospital because of it's portability & light weight. Also a great support platform since you can run RDP & Teamviewer on it, and - with the addition of a USB to Ethernet adapter - it can be easily turned into a penetration testing/security device.
Good point on the value of a Chromebook or tablet as client to access another system.

I've revisited the premium models for display quality but was disappointed to find OneNote and Teams app development behind the iPad version, and Google Keep as well as the Hangouts Meet are still horrible compared to the competition so that's making the low cost Surface deals out there right now as well as COSTCO price on an iPad Pro look good.

The PixelBook is really nice but $999+ starts making other products look much better. I've been hoping Google's HTC purchase will help them be competitive with Microsoft and Apple hardware offerings.

For your last point, that's another one that aided my MacBook purchase decision. It was little more or same as a PixelBook or Surface, has the UNIX underpinnings I use, and is a superb Windows machine at same time if I wish. It's only fair to point out the latter does require a Windows license and in my case a VMware license.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Good point on the value of a Chromebook or tablet as client to access another system.

I've revisited the premium models for display quality but was disappointed to find OneNote and Teams app development behind the iPad version, and Google Keep as well as the Hangouts Meet are still horrible compared to the competition so that's making the low cost Surface deals out there right now as well as COSTCO price on an iPad Pro look good.

The PixelBook is really nice but $999+ starts making other products look much better. I've been hoping Google's HTC purchase will help them be competitive with Microsoft and Apple hardware offerings.

For your last point, that's another one that aided my MacBook purchase decision. It was little more or same as a PixelBook or Surface, has the UNIX underpinnings I use, and is a superb Windows machine at same time if I wish. It's only fair to point out the latter does require a Windows license and in my case a VMware license.

I simply do not understand $1000 for a Chromebook at this stage of the game for Chrome OS. It doesn't make any sense given the price and capabilities of an equivalently priced Macbook Air or Surface Pro. If Google had announced this in the spring my first thought would be "april fools". Laughable.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I was thinking about getting my wife a Chromebook for her birthday.

She doesn't use computers much, just wants to sort through pictures on an SD card. They'll do that with a card/usb adapter won't they?
Mine has a mine SD card and two usb-c connections. I've already ordered a usb-c to usb adaptor. Two read SD cards you could get an usb-c to SD card reader or get a usb mini adaptor for the camera.

Either way, make sure you get something with a good screen.

This screen is wonderful.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
I simply do not understand $1000 for a Chromebook at this stage of the game for Chrome OS. It doesn't make any sense given the price and capabilities of an equivalently priced Macbook Air or Surface Pro. If Google had announced this in the spring my first thought would be "april fools". Laughable.
When I saw the $1000 Pixel, I thought it was something that they wanted to make to raise the profile of chromebooks and that they probably didn't expect to sell many. Maybe they gave them to their employees.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:16 PM

Yeah, they are good for some people. But, for $400 to $500, you can get a refurbed Surface Pro 2 or something similar for the same price. It's light and portable, touchscreen, boots in seconds, full Windows, and can run any program.

If there were quality Chromebooks that were under $150, that would make sense to me.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 11-25-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Mine has a mine SD card and two usb-c connections. I've already ordered a usb-c to usb adaptor. Two read SD cards you could get an usb-c to SD card reader or get a usb mini adaptor for the camera.

Either way, make sure you get something with a good screen.

This screen is wonderful.
Thanks and please forgive my naivete' about the Google stuff, I have an iPhone and ipad.

However, for what little she will use this I think the Chromebook might be the bomb and the buy in is far cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a Google doc. app that will allow her to type documents and save in the cloud for free, then she could later print to a printer?
The Chromebook will install an HP wireless printer online?

I hate buying a new PC because of the time involved in setting them up and Windows trying to sell you crap and I see these Chromebooks for 200 bucks.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Thanks and please forgive my naivete' about the Google stuff, I have an iPhone and ipad.

However, for what little she will use this I think the Chromebook might be the bomb and the buy in is far cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a Google doc. app that will allow her to type documents and save in the cloud for free, then she could later print to a printer?
The Chromebook will install an HP wireless printer online?

I hate buying a new PC because of the time involved in setting them up and Windows trying to sell you crap and I see these Chromebooks for 200 bucks.

Thanks.
A Chromebook should work for about anyone's basic use.

Your other comments say you're confusing the crappiest purchase options and very likely past history. There's no nonsense with any decent late model Windows system.

A whole bunch of our employees have asked me for buying help because of holiday season. The best that I see out there are the $200+ off on Microsoft Surface systems. That would give you Chromebook sort of features with all that a multi purpose system and tablet can do with far superior display than most Chromebooks.

Google and Microsoft have their own stores. They won't be the ultimate bargain but you'll be doing a vetted purchase. They don't sell the crap many do.

My kids who use Chromebooks a lot nailed it this way. They see it's so much of a tablet-like environment that you'll probably have a better display if you buy a tablet and optional keyboard but you also get the utility of a laptop format if you do a lot of writing with Chromebook. They point out how often they do stuff on a Mac or Windows system and then upload the file to their Google Drive to finish their school projects.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I had a keyboard for my iPad. It was ok but just not quite right. My first Chromebook, a Samsung Chromebook 2, was supposed to be a replacement for my ipad but it ended up being a replacement for my Win10 laptop. I don't think that I'm the only one who has had enough of the Full Windows Experience to not want to go there anymore. Started with Win98 had enough with 10.

Yes, the chromebook will connect to a wireless printer and it come's with google doc's. My new one, Samsung 12.3 Chromebook Plus, also has the android apps. First I got Microsoft Word, the Microsoft Office. This one is $350 on Black Weekend sale every where and it's the one to get; solid, good keyboard, great screen, and the Google Play Store for apps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic