The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Playing While Standing Proving Beneficial

I've been playing for almost 2 years now and though I'd still consider myself a relative beginner without much ability I enjoy playing nonetheless. I've always played sitting most of the time, but recently decided to start playing while standing since I feel I spend way too much time sitting doing other less worthwhile things. So, for the past few days I've been playing walking around the house or standing in the kitchen or something. I believe this is actually helping me to play better. I seem to have better control of my guitar using the strap which I never used sitting down. While sitting I would always lean over the guitar with it slightly angled back towards me. This was probably not good. Now I seem to have a better wrist position and fretting/changing chords seems easier and more fluid. I would always watch my chord changes too, but now I feel more comfortable just letting my fretting hand (I'm right handed) do the work without eyeballing it all the time. So far, it seems to be working just fine. Above all, I just feel comfortable while standing up. A sense of ease comes over me. Just the thoughts of an everyday couch player. Oops, I meant living room/kitchen/bedroom player.

Don K.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Fair enough, if it helps you play better, thats all that matters.

I enjoy sitting down and playing just out of repetion and habit. Feels comfortable and gives me more control.
Standing up, Ive noticed 2 'flaws': The first being the guitar in an awkward position. Here, holding the neck is required to fret and stabilize the instrument. More work. This is probably due to my own bad form and can probably be fixed.
The second is that having the guitar snug against your body does mute the back and seems to dampen projection for me. Sitting down, Only the sides make contact with my body and the back and most of the top is free to do its thing.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 AM

I much prefer to play sitting down. (Even on my electric if it's possible).
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 AM

Don, what you'll also find, if and when you start singing while you play guitar, is that you'll be able to sing better because you can support with your diaphragm. It's also much easier to play to an audience when you're standing up and can move around.

whm
Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

I always smile when I hear/read about 'couch playing/players'. Slumped on a couch is the worst-possible position for playing and, on the rare occasion I've tried it, I've ended up frustrated and disappointed with the experience.

I like to play guitar seated, I believe the guitar is better-supported, there are fewer distractions and I concentrate better, and it's considerably less fatiguing than playing standing. But I always sit on a hard-backed 'kitchen' chair, and I'm careful to keep my own back in contact with the chair-back in order to avoid 'crouching over' the guitar.

In contrast, I always stand to play my mandolin (a Fylde 'teardrop'-shaped instrument), which I find impossible to comfortably play seated.

But it's each to his own, as ever!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

We tend to rehearse sitting and I sit when noodling or making my YouTube videos etc.

When rehearsing I sit on a hard dining chair my posture isn't perfect but I always try to make sure my right leg on which I rest the guitar is parallel with the floor, and my back as straight as possible.

Like ..... playing slumped on a couch is the way to muscular problems. Not recommended.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM

Default sitting

I prefer to play sitting for 2 reasons. really it's just one: I can angle the guitar. That provides 2 benefits: I can see the fingerboard better and the guitar is less muffled by my body.

That said, most professionals play standing. It enables them to move around, be higher so the audience can see better ....

I may find myself having to learn to play while standing (I can and do play that way at times, but have always felt my playing was better when sitting) as I am experiencing some leg problems that go away when I am standing. After 20 minutes of sitting, anywhere, I need to stand. Makes it slow getting anywhere far when driving.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Don, what you'll also find, if and when you start singing while you play guitar, is that you'll be able to sing better because you can support with your diaphragm. It's also much easier to play to an audience when you're standing up and can move around.

whm
James Taylor immediately came to mind. He seems to sit most of the time or maybe I'm wrong.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 AM

I started to play standing up when I started playing to audiences. For my kind of music (pop songs), sitting down while performing just looks, well, kind of lame.

When I play by myself or with my musical friends (not rehearsing) I always sit, I feel like I have more control sitting down. But I guess that's a personal thing.
Play the way that suits you best!

98 Taylor 414 E
06 self built classic
06 Larrivee OM-09 'Custom' (Madi) (since 2016)
06 Larrivee OM-09 MR (for DADGAD)
16 Fender elite stratocaster HSS
17 Recording King 'Dirty 1930's' single O

? Stagg stratocaster HSS
? Aria Sinsonido (Soloette copy)
0? self build OM in the making
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM

And can we please stop asking for recommendations for the best 'couch' guitar? Thank you in advance
Old 01-22-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
James Taylor immediately came to mind. He seems to sit most of the time or maybe I'm wrong.
One, He's James Taylor. Two, that's only been the last 10 years or so. James always used to stand up. Now he's playing a bit more "laid back" than he used to when he had more of a rock-ish band. Additionally, there's sitting down on a tall stool that allows one to maintain a straight-up posture and playing style and allows the guitar to hang on a strap allowing the player to move her/his hands freely. Then there's the "couch"-type position that scrunches everything up and actually works against playing.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Standing up, Ive noticed 2 'flaws': The first being the guitar in an awkward position. Here, holding the neck is required to fret and stabilize the instrument. More work.
Holding the neck should not be required.

I know you didn't ask but you might want to look at the strap you're using and the position. I try to have the guitar strap to the same position it is when I sit. Also, I can let go of my guitar completely and it stays in the same position. I don't have to "hold" it at all.

For me, the key points to comfortable standing playing was to bring the guitar up higher than the cool electric players do, a cotton strap that doesn't slide on my shirt, and attaching the strap to the headstock instead of the heel. I'm not saying you should do those things, I'm just sharing what I had to do to get the guitar to sit exactly where I need it too.

Anyway, just some thoughts....
Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
One, He's James Taylor. Two, that's only been the last 10 years or so. James always used to stand up. Now he's playing a bit more "laid back" than he used to when he had more of a rock-ish band. Additionally, there's sitting down on a tall stool that allows one to maintain a straight-up posture and playing style and allows the guitar to hang on a strap allowing the player to move her/his hands freely. Then there's the "couch"-type position that scrunches everything up and actually works against playing.
Nope, he didn't 'always'... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR9CH10KdB0
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM

I prefer to stand, but I do both. I don't use the sofa, but I think you can use good posture anywhere - it's just much harder to do on a soft surface.

I like the strap pretty high/short. I'm not sure it matters, but it seems more comfortable to me. I often use the strap when seated - I feel like the neck is too low with the guitar on my right leg with no strap.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Couldn't agree with this more. Standing up changed my ability to "play out" some 25+ years ago. Not only could I sing better but a lot of nervous energy escaped through my feet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion