The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Aren't most "Jumbos" typically 16" across the lower bout?

0 = 13.5"
00 = 14.25"
000/OM = 15"
Somogyi-family OM = approx. 15.5"
SJ = 16"
Jumbo = 17"
Larson Prairie State = 37.4'
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I always thought a Martin "J" was a Jumbo. I thought it was 0000 in size (16") by deeper (4-7/8") vs. an M/0000 size (4-1/8"). Funny, I associate an "SJ" as a larger instrument. A Gibson J-200 as a "Super Jumbo" and is 16-7/8".

Learn something new everyday I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
0 = 13.5"
00 = 14.25"
000/OM = 15"
Somogyi-family OM = approx. 15.5"
SJ = 16"
Jumbo = 17"
Old 08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Humanist

In this context I suppose SJ is actually small-jumbo. Gibson's Super Jumbo can fit right in, as well.

Meanwhile, ain't Jason Kostal great...?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely! Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Quote:
In this context I suppose SJ is actually small-jumbo. Gibson's Super Jumbo can fit right in, as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Why yes Larry, yes he is! 8-)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM

I can't think of any jumbo I'd rather have over this one. I think it looks unique and strikingly good. Dare I say this jumbo is my favourite out of your "four seasons" by a wide margin.

As for the small jumbo/jumbo/super jumbo issue, it's difficult to find a consistent definition since Gibson themselves have switched back and forth over the years (the J-200 and SJ-200 monikers are still used interchangeably). Additionally, they use the "jumbo" moniker for both their slope dreads and their round bodies.

FWIW, when I think of "standard" jumbos I think 16" (e.g. L-5, J-185).

Back to Kostal, I think this is one of the most desirable guitars I have seen in a very long time. Tight waist, killer rosette, premium tonewoods...

Congrats!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I can't think of any jumbo I'd rather have over this one. I think it looks unique and strikingly good. Dare I say this jumbo is my favourite out of your "four seasons" by a wide margin.

As for the small jumbo/jumbo/super jumbo issue, it's difficult to find a consistent definition since Gibson themselves have switched back and forth over the years (the J-200 and SJ-200 monikers are still used interchangeably). Additionally, they use the "jumbo" moniker for both their slope dreads and their round bodies.

FWIW, when I think of "standard" jumbos I think 16" (e.g. L-5, J-185).

Back to Kostal, I think this is one of the most desirable guitars I have seen in a very long time. Tight waist, killer rosette, premium tonewoods...

Congrats!
Thanks Mao, Its hard to play favorites... All of them are great guitars. The Kraut has that fat clean crystalline sound and is very responsive to light touch, the Ogino is very articulate and has beautiful balance, the Fredell is a super little guitar w/ thick mids and musical trebles. Im really glad this project came into fruition.... Cant be happier lol
Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
That is one guitar that I would sure like to try. And a Jumbo, no less! I'm a big Somogyi fan, and even own one of his Mod D's, but I've never tried a guitar from Jason. You sure hear great things about his instruments on this forum. Care to enlighten some of us as to what your "four seasons project" is? Four guitars, I presume?

Bill
Im a big Somogyi fan too... I started a 4 seasons project 3 years ago, w/ each builder being a former apprentice of Ervin. The project included Ray Kraut, Jason Kostal, Gustav Fredell and Hiroshi Ogino.

Im sure you are enjoying your Somogyi. I have played several Somogyis over the years and I believe the best ones are from the mid 90s to the early 2000... Those guitars are noticeably heavier, they dont have the perfect looking tonewoods, the flawless craftsmanship, and the tight fit and finish of the more recent ones, but they pack a lot more power... My all time favorite Somogyi is a 97' Jumbo w/ german spruce and Brazilian rosewood back and sides...
Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
That's pretty big
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 AM

What a neat project and a fantastic finish to it!! I'm a long time admirer of Jason's work! I'm so glad to hear he is back in the shop. Can't keep a soldier down, I guess!!

Congratulations on your new guitar and the project as a whole. What a collection!

Brad
Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Oh drool! Did Jason recruit a luthier all star team to help out or is he back to full steam following the accident?

Full disclosure I actually think "luthier all star team" would be awesome! I know many of Jason's friends offered to help after the wreck, including my current builder Mike Baranik.
A lot offered to help him, but it was Mario Beauregard who flew to Arizona. I believe he only did the finishing, my guitar was almost ready when the accident happened. I wouldve waited for Jason to get better if the guitar was in its infancy, but he assured me all the details that will affect the voice of the guitar were already done and it was all him... I had a Beauregard OMC a few years ago, he is a great builder and in the hands of Antoine Dufour his guitars really shine... but the tone and feel wasnt just for me...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry pattis View Post
larson prairie state = 37.4'

lol

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! That's a beautiful guitar. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 PM

If my personal experience of two of Jason's guitars is right, this will open up and get even better over the next 6 months...but as a seasoned purchaser, you know that already.

You also know that you're a lucky guy to have this. I was at a meet a few weeks ago with my Kostal OM and the guy who was right next in line before Jasons accident was there - we gave him a real hard time about how he was going to have to wait a decade for the guitar etc etc. All good natured, tongue-in-cheek banter...at poor old Jason's expense!

So, really good to see some more of Jason's work on here. I was getting withdrawal symptoms. As you know, Jason is getting back into the shop and is mending real well, which is great news for him and the rest of us.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

OH MY!!! Yes, can't think of another I'd rather have, LOL... Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop