The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Awesome looking guitars! Is that piece of material over the sound ports there so that one doesn't see the insides of the guitar or does it have another function?

Thanks robj144, they sound great too!! - I just "engineered" the sound holes to be covered because I don't really like the "open" hole look. Not to say I wouldn't do them custom open like that, but this is more 'my style'.

Please keep checking in, I'll have more stuff up tomorrow.

Finally getting some inlay concepts from the customer.

Have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Fantastic! Absolutely beautiful!

Joel
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Fantastic! Absolutely beautiful!

Joel
Thank you Joel - If I remember the other thread right, you are going to be in healdsburg too, is that correct? If so, I'd like to meet you also

I think this side detail is really going to bring out some "new" originality in this piece.

The sides are almost done. Enough to accept the top and back.

Until next time, have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Default side inlay

I'm getting a little closer to being done with the sides to the point where I can put the top and back on soon. However, couple more details to take care of first.

The is my 'Dual Wall' sides construction and this makes the sides even stiffer than regular side lamination - I use BOTH side building techniques depending on the guitar/customer/options etc. Its EXTRA work, but I'm finding that in my newest "innovative" builds with the adjustable neck, supple top, adjustable intonation and "active" back, that this inner dual wall just makes these side INCREDIBLY stiff. The added weight is minimal - in my estimation, worth their "weight in gold" haha. I'm wanting to get that responsive LUSH fingerstyle tone.

The other mention is the adjustable neck option on this guitar. The way these are designed, no longer is the fingerboard overhang part of the top "bracing" (not being attached), so more (all) of the tension is placed around on the face side of the head block.

So these rims are a 'better designed fit' to support the supple top, the active back and the adjustable neck rather well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the side inlay detail too...haha...it looks pretty cool and matches the rosette.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looks great! I love how stiff full-side liners make the rims. Plus it looks super cool to have to back seemingly go straight into the sides. Good work!

Mike
instagram
Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Really nice work

Kevin,
Your work is great looking and very creative. Keep the photos coming. it is fun to watch the progress.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
Looks great! I love how stiff full-side liners make the rims. Plus it looks super cool to have to back seemingly go straight into the sides. Good work!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yes - really stiff. And the smooth inside look is nice too. Its going to turn out very nice.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Kevin,
Your work is great looking and very creative. Keep the photos coming. it is fun to watch the progress.
Thank you Armadillo - I should have some more pics this week. Also working with the customer on the inlay concept and hopefully will have some thing nailed down this week.

I'll take some pics of that process too...

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Default side/back fitting

In these pics I'm fitting the back and sides. No big secrets or special techniques. I just mark the braces on the sides and then set the router bit to the correct ht. and "let them in". I want them really tight. If you see a 'shadow gap' remember these are just sitting on there, they are not glued together.

I might have the back ready to put on tomorrow. If so, I'll put some pics up.

Hope you all had a great day.

Kevin.

When I do the dual wall, I'm able to laminate the head block in. Again - really stiff sides.

I do have a couple more things to do to the sides before I glue the back and top on.

Hope you like.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM

I think your port design is going to get 'nicked' left, right and centre and deservedly so...they are great! Loads of kudos to you for sharing your skills for us to look at.

You make a classy style of guitar.

Last edited by stringjunky; 03-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Default bevel liner and some neck work

Here are some pictures of the work I did today. Sometimes it doesn't seem to progress as quickly as I'd like, but I am working on other guitars too.

anyway, here is the lining for the bevel. I've laminated a patch over the seam in the back. I've put a fingerboard overhang support in and the cut away corner brace.

I did get the top glued on tonight...but no pics of that

I will do the neck adjustment attachment next before I glue the back on. Its easier to get to stuff and get the alignment right without the back on. It doesn't really work well to go through the sound hole for the intial set up.

Then I got a start on the fingerboard. I'm hoping to get the purflings installed tomorrow. Should be a nice guitar when i'm done.

Got some of the inlay detail from the customer.

Hope you guys have a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
I think your port design is going to get 'nicked' left, right and centre and deservedly so...they are great! Loads of kudos to you for sharing your skills for us to look at.

You make a classy style of guitar.
Thanks stringjunky - Its take me a long time to figure out the best way forward with the construction of my covered sound ports.

Just 'giving back a little' .

Hope you all have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Hey Kevin ; )

Love the way this is shaping up: a beautiful guitar! Just curious (as I've not seen side construction quite like this before), is the space between the double sides hollow (apart from the kerfing at top & bottom) or is there some structural element between? Are the side woods thinner - as they would be if laminated together - or both at conventional thickness?

Whatever the particulars, it does make for an extremely clean looking interior! Love the way the neck block is incorporated : )

JB
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBarclay View Post
Hey Kevin ; )

Love the way this is shaping up: a beautiful guitar! Just curious (as I've not seen side construction quite like this before), is the space between the double sides hollow (apart from the kerfing at top & bottom) or is there some structural element between? Are the side woods thinner - as they would be if laminated together - or both at conventional thickness?

Whatever the particulars, it does make for an extremely clean looking interior! Love the way the neck block is incorporated : )

JB

Hi JonBarclay - Thank you thank you!!! Its going to be really nice, and sound great too. I track all my thickness' and deflection tune so that I can somewhat keep track of variables. But yes, its going to be nice.

Please keep checking back in. Its just 'starting' and hopefully its going to get even better.

I won't go into too much detail about the sides other than to say, they are MUCH stiffer than even a conventional lamination, and their added weight is minimal. My approach to guitar building is not to reinvent the wheel but just to make it "roll better" haha. (nor do I make any claims to the originality of this - just employing the gain returned)

I'm getting long winded here but the other things I've noticed about these stiff sides, is that "its "mass" and weight in the right places"...so there is my assessment of it.

Have a GREAT day.

Kevin.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Haha thanks Kevin, definitely going to follow this thread

All the best

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop