The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
Hey Mark - by no means do I think I'm the only one doing it this way. I just wanted to speed up this process a little and put a little more accuracy in the process - by running it down my taper jig with power . I didn't really want to dilute the accuracy so I just chose to use the exact locations of the frets. With the fretboard taper even moving the frets a tiny bit will change their width. I know your saying the change in most fret scales is very minute...but I wanted retain that last touch of accuracy.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

I'm saying there are no changes. I think either I'm not explaining myself correctly or you are doing something I don't know about when you layout your fretboard profiles for different scale lengths or maybe there is a difference in what we are using as starting reference points
I'll send you a PM

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-23-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Hi Kevin,

I'm saying there are no changes. I think either I'm not explaining myself correctly or you are doing something I don't know about when you layout your fretboard profiles for different scale lengths or maybe there is a difference in what we are using as starting reference points
I'll send you a PM

Mark
Hey Mark thanks for the comment/info.

My process/jigs worked great. I value the accuracy that I've been able to dial in this way. Can't wait to do another one with them. The pictures testify.

Hope your day was good.

Kevin.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM

There was a question about inlay materials over in the build and repair section and I posted this picture there. I never posted this pic in this forum before. Mostly because people tend to overlook the guitar and its sound and think I'm an inlay guy. I can DO inlay, but I'm a luthier first and foremost.

I had a good day working. I'm working on a neck detail and another rosette.

Hope you enjoy the inlay, regardless if you are "religious" or not. Enjoy the art of it.

Kevin.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There was a question about inlay materials over in the build and repair section and I posted this picture there. I never posted this pic in this forum before. Mostly because people tend to overlook the guitar and its sound and think I'm an inlay guy. I can DO inlay, but I'm a luthier first and foremost.

Hope you enjoy the inlay, regardless if you are "religious" or not. Enjoy the art of it.

Kevin.
Wow, Kevin, that is amazing!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
+1

You're modest. "I can do inlay" is a bit of an understatement when followed by that photo!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
+1

You're modest. "I can do inlay" is a bit of an understatement when followed by that photo!
Thanks fellas. I actually can do inlay, but it takes a long time to go through all of this. I probably could make a couple guitars (or more) in the time it takes to do something like this (there is actually more to this inlay ).

Kevin.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Here is a better image without strings.

Do you see the truss rod cover in there?

Kevin.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Here is a good example of why building to the deflection is better than dimension building. If you were a dimension builder you would be adding unnecessary weight in your brace.

These two pieces of brace wood are identical in size (dimension)...

However, one is more dense than the other one. This one is 361 grams.

and this one is 314 grams

The first one weighs approximately 14% more (if I've done the math correct - if not, someone can correct me).

Some builders might not care. However, looking at the cut offs

- in this case "brace legs", the 35.1 gram piece is dimensionally the same exact size as the heavier one.

Using this same application in a top (totally hypothetical numbers), the dimensions would be the same, but one top would weigh 14% more.

To understand the deflection differences between top pieces (or brace pieces - anything), you need to start with all pieces the same dimensions. Then you can start to see how a cedar piece differs from a spruce piece (if they are identical in size).

I have some other strategies (procedures) I take when I'm deflection tuning my tops etc.

You can't make comparisons until you start with the same size materials.

I'm sure you all know this, but there might be a couple people out there that the light bulbs might come on. Certainly not trying to be a "teacher" here, just sharing some "insight". And its easy to see in this example.

The 314g piece of brace wood became a brace...the 361g piece I will not use for top bracing. I'll use it somewhere else.

Another thing I've learned is "weight is not a trade off for stiffness". All this means is you shouldn't add more to make it stiffer. For example, a piece of 1/4" steel is stiffer than a 1/4" piece of spruce, but the trade for weight is not worth it. That is an extreme example, but look at the difference in those two pieces of spruce, you could save 14% by using the one piece rather than the other.

And you'd be surprised how many builders do not do this...

Hope you all had a great night.

Kevin.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM

I just wanted to share this with the forum. This is a photo I put on facebook recently and many people really thought it was cool. This is an idea I did about 12 years ago. Its the Last Supper and I sold a small handful of them back then, so I've decided to "resurrect" the idea (pardon the pun). Although this is on an electric guitar, its this Last Supper inlay concept that I'm going to be offering on any model - its the concept/guitar that is available. I am much better at inlay now than I was 10/12 years ago, so they should turn out spectacular. Basically this is the idea/concept that goes on the fretboard and then you pick the model, whether acoustic or electric. I'm assuming the electric/arch top guys might be more interested, but I just wanted to put this out there. Hey, a 'Last Supper Dread' would be pretty awesome!! If your interested or know someone who might be, please share this info with them. I've got some ideas cooking for Memphis next June. Thanks.

The last one I did was not colored but I used the wood pieces to adorn the disciples.

Cheers.

Kevin.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Here were some lower fret marking "icons" that were on Last Supper #4. I don't know why, but I really like the "loaf of bread". Nailed that.

and a pic with strings on it.

Just for the record, I don't only do "religious" themed inlays. So if you have ideas or like what you see here. Let me know.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Are there any people out there who like abalone done like this?

Or do you like it just plain?

(little bigger than life size ).

Kevin.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I think it's quite nice. Always admired your inlay work, particularly the stuff you do on the back of the neck like the one Paul Heumiller has.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I think it's quite nice. Always admired your inlay work, particularly the stuff you do on the back of the neck like the one Paul Heumiller has.
Here is another one that I sent out recently. Its over on pedersoncustomguitars on facebook.

Snoop around a few of the comments there on fb. Fun stuff.

Good day.

Kevin.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM

I think this picture was taken by a forum member and put on the forum before I joined or was active. Its from the Montreal 2012 Show...a forum member sent it to me via email back then. I just wanted to throw it in a model gallery on my website that I'm now updating. I'm sure this is not a huge deal, but I'd rather ask, than having someone object once they see it there. (?).

Beautiful pic btw.

Thanks.

Kevin.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

The only thing I can object to is that there aren't any additional pictures to look at!

That's very nice. I like the fretboard, and it looks like maybe the binding/bevel are made up of 2 different woods? Definitely a sharp looking guitar, like all the others I've seen. I'm sure it will be well received on your website.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop