The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Played a Collings 001 today..wow

I got to play a Collings 001mh and 0001 today in a local music shop.. Both were super nice..
Ive been looking for my first high end "boutique" guitar, after owning many more production guitars like Taylor, Martin, and Gibson.. I really like 12 frets, slotted headstocks, and short scale for my type of playing. I also really like sunbursts and edge bursts.. Hog top is pretty sweet, but am open to other tops....
If anyone knows any shops or people selling a USED Collings that fits the bill (like an 001 or 0001 Collings) please let me know..
I was also thinking about a Santa Cruz versions but i gotta say that 1 13/16" Collings nut felt very nice to me for sure, and the slotted headstock was appealing to me too..
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 AM

I very much approve of your choice!

I love the Collings 12 fret models...

Have you tried the official Collings Forum too? That would likely be your best bet....

D
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post

Have you tried the official Collings Forum too? That would likely be your best bet....

D
I seem to get a dead link when I go here: http://www.collingsforum.com
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

I can understand your reaction. The small-bodied Collings guitars are just fantastic. Their forum apparently went down yesterday... there are a couple other posts nearby indicating that. A quick look at the sites of Hill Country Guitars, Dream Guitars and Artisan all show preowned Collings that might fit your bill, either OO1 or OOO1 or both. The one at Artisan even had a German top which is easily my favorite top wood on a Collings. And I didn't even look at Acoustic Music Works. Those shops include the biggest Collings dealers in the country, so you might want to check them out.

You might also want to look at the C-10. It's a tiny bit bigger than the OO... based on the old Gibson L-OO from years ago. Great blues guitar, big enough to be a good strummer too if you like.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
I can understand your reaction. The small-bodied Collings guitars are just fantastic. Their forum apparently went down yesterday... there are a couple other posts nearby indicating that. A quick look at the sites of Hill Country Guitars, Dream Guitars and Artisan all show preowned Collings that might fit your bill, either OO1 or OOO1 or both. The one at Artisan even had a German top which is easily my favorite top wood on a Collings. And I didn't even look at Acoustic Music Works. Those shops include the biggest Collings dealers in the country, so you might want to check them out.

You might also want to look at the C-10. It's a tiny bit bigger than the OO... based on the old Gibson L-OO from years ago. Great blues guitar, big enough to be a good strummer too if you like.

Good luck.
Only problem is, the C-10 doesn't come with the 1 13/16" nut width.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage bass View Post
Only problem is, the C-10 doesn't come with the 1 13/16" nut width.
Very true. The original post said the wider nut was nice, but it didn't seem to be a requirement. I just didn't want the op to miss a very nice guitar if 1 3/4 would be sufficient.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM

Collings 0002H for sale here in the Marketplace forum

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=254014
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Also check out "Hill Country Guitars". Super great guys with a excellent selection of used Collings.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunes View Post
Also check out "Hill Country Guitars". Super great guys with a excellent selection of used Collings.
I did, and wound up making a purchase there today! Got a good price on a used one.
http://www.hillcountryguitars.com/de...pID=12&gid=446
I loved the burst, the herringbone, the slot head, next width, and body size. I initially wanted Hog, but Im fine with Rosewood too.. Ill do an all hog something later!

Thanks all for the info and advice..

Looking forward to my very first Collings!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Nice! I want 0 Model Collings bad but gotta save them pennies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion