The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Isn't the wedge supposed to be bass to treble? Or is this a cool new Sexauer exclusive?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Isn't the wedge supposed to be bass to treble? Or is this a cool new Sexauer exclusive?
As you suspected, Bruce is just havin some fun...

The mahogany neck and tail blocks were glued in oversized because no final decision on the box depth has been decided yet, so Bruce leaving his "options open". The box will have a 1/4" bass to treble wedge.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

On a related subject.

Well, I have put strings on the OM and spent hours making sure she plays well, and she does!

Pretty close to black at the darkest.

Lightened so you can see it more clearly.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default FT-0-JB/2 complete

That was a lot of pictures in one post, so I made a page on my site for the Single 0, which I also documented today. Here are a couple of the pictures:

Oddly the top color is more in this direction:
Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Both of these instruments are excellent examples of the beauty and integrity of top quality tonewoods, masterfully crafted with subtle and refined innovations.

I see that the FT-15 is a "spec" guitar and is for sale. Anyone in the market for a top-quality OM should give that one some deep consideration. The figure in the wood is quite unique.

Kudos
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

After bending a side yesterday, Bruce began his freeform body construction method today.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 09-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Linda and I are going camping for a week or so starting tomorrow. We were starting today but I ate something that did not agree well with me and travel has seemed ill advised. You know what I mean. Today it seems likely that tomorrow will be fine. I know that because I am working and things are going well. The sides are both bent on the new 00, and I installed the cutaway section a few minutes ago.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Holidaze

I took a week with the family and camped, mostly in the California State Park system, which means there was a shower opportunity all days but one. Otherwise quite rustic, and being post summer virtually without neighbors. My '99 F-150 is showing it's age, and I have been considering getting the 2015 aluminum rendition, which promises a significant improvement in technology and most importantly to me, mileage, though Ford is not yet saying just what it will be. If any of you own a Ford dealership speak up. Have I go a deal for you!

Yesterday I shipped the FT-0-JB/2 to George in Fogelsburg, PA, for whom I built it. I also shipped the "Limba" to Tim in Los Angeles, where is will share his time with his first Sexauer, FT-00 #1470307. Oddly, I have no documentation of his first guitar on my list, but I played it while he was here and it is in fine condition, being BRW and Bachmann Italian (same combination as the recent OM) it pretty much has to be pretty doggone OK!

On Sunday I went to Fran Guidry's House in Walnut Creek to show my latest (the recent OM, the Pear, and the FT-0-JB/2 I just shipped) and pick a few tunes. Several other builders were in attendance (Kathy Wingert/John Mello/Tony Yamamoto/ and others) as well as a number of players who would be familiar to the regulars here. Notably to me, rogthefrog, who is a recent arrival but pretty active here.

Today I glued the sides to the blocks on the L-00ish.

I noticed this puddle of water on cleaning up the HHG, and snapped it to demonstrate the common positive ID for Pernambuco. Hot water pulls the red dye out very quickly. All other woods of my experience will show brown instead, if they show anything at all. It is a beautiful color to my eye, and others must agree as it is the reason Brazil was exploited for Pernambuco in the 1600s and 1700s.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

In Brazil, Pernambuco is known as "Pau Brasil", or "Brazil Wood".
Pernambuco also lends its name to one of Brazil's states (NE region).
Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

The two guitars Bruce just posted about sound delicious, especially the Brazilian with the bird inlays.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Peone or Tentelones

I thought that some you might be interested in the language origin of Bruce's top linings. These are of course from the traditional Spanish guitar making method pre-continuous kerfed linings.

Bruce refers to the individual lining blocks as "peone" which I believe he learned from Michael Dunn who learned it at "Los Guitarreros de Mallorca" under José Ferrer from Granada and Maestro José Orti Benieto from Valencia in the mid-1960s.

The origin of the term "peone" as I understand it comes the Spanish word "peon" or "little thing". They are also sometimes referred to as "tentellones" which comes from the Spanish expression "tentealli" which means "stay there" or "stay put" which is exactly what a luthier seems to order or ask a them to do with the sides.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 09-16-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
The two guitars Bruce just posted about sound delicious, especially the Brazilian with the bird inlays.
RtheF has the advantage on most of you in that he has actually heard the guitars he mentions, and played the OM, I believe, though what happens at parties tend to blur for me a bit. I barely showed the single 0 as I could not take a chance of dinging it.

Michael Dunn has recently published a book describing his entry into guitar making as an apprentice in Spain, and then many details of the ensueing life. I am mentioned myself, I'm told. I am reading it currently but haven't gotten to my part yet. I did share a shop with him at two different points for about a years time total. The book is called "Strings; one guitarmaker's journey", or something very close to that, and is available on Amazon.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Bruce's free-form side bending technique forms the curve of his signature cutaway.

For side reinforcement, Bruce uses ribbons. Last night's decision...

Here are the burnt sienna ribbons installed and clamped kerfed linings.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 09-18-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:00 AM

Running low on clamps Bruce..........??? Old machinist here.
Tom
Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Running low on clamps Bruce..........??? Old machinist here.
Tom
Looks like somebody might have had a firesale on battery cables................Repurposing at it's best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop