The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Beautiful glamour shots, and loved the report on its developing voice.

As much as I love the beauty and detail on this guitar, I am just overwhelmed with excitement to see you top this build with your next
Yes, I always try to top the previous build. Sometimes the wood tells you what it wants to be, and it's usually right!

Clearing the decks, here, Jeff! It's my favorite time of the year to build a guitar. The weather here is perfect in October, and into November. It's often cool, dry, and sunny, low humidity, with the most incredible blue skies you'll ever see. I LOVE being able to open a window and let in some air!
I bet you remember how intense blue the skies are here in the South.

We will begin the story this weekend. An auspicious beginning!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Yes, I always try to top the previous build. Sometimes the wood tells you what it wants to be, and it's usually right!

Clearing the decks, here, Jeff! It's my favorite time of the year to build a guitar. The weather here is perfect in October, and into November. It's often cool, dry, and sunny, low humidity, with the most incredible blue skies you'll ever see. I LOVE being able to open a window and let in some air!
I bet you remember how intense blue the skies are here in the South.

We will begin the story this weekend. An auspicious beginning!
Am I to find myself with the good fortune of visiting you just as you're beginning a new build?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 AM

I sympathize with your redlightitis - I suffer from the same syndrome - but I'm dying to hear this guitar. Your descriptions are just tantalizing!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Am I to find myself with the good fortune of visiting you just as you're beginning a new build?
That's right, Joel. I think we'll be bending sides, laminating them, and installing the neck and end blocks. We'll see how far we get- I'm guessing we'll be spending a fair amount of time talking, wood-nerding, and such. I have some amazing new sets of wood to show you! But Jeff's "Spirit" guitar is next up! Ziricote B&S, Adirondack top, another 000 Consort model.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I sympathize with your redlightitis - I suffer from the same syndrome - but I'm dying to hear this guitar. Your descriptions are just tantalizing!
You know, this is the single biggest hurdle I face- getting decent quality sound clips of my guitars, and posting them online. I've been playing every day lately, but my chops are still pretty rusty- I'm not a confident guitar player. I also lack the knowledge and skill of producing high quality recordings.
My friend Ken Hobbs, owner of the Blackwood Rose Consort (you may recall from springtime this year) gave me a Zoom H4N stereo field recorder awhile back; I still haven't learned how to use it. Maybe this weekend, Joel and I can figure something out. (He's smarter than I am!)
The new Consort really is a great sounding guitar. I'm proud of it, and would love to feature a sound clip. Somehow, I don't think it's going to be hanging around long. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Such a beauty... love the Element 4.0 bridge and marbled Ebony. The Edwinson made the cover of my latest album and I recorded the demo of track 1 with this same guitar.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Such a beauty... love the Element 4.0 bridge and marbled Ebony. The Edwinson made the cover of my latest album and I recorded the demo of track 1 with this same guitar.

J.R., thanks a million for posting that. I'm adding your new album to my collection. There's nothing better than listening to your music when I'm in the shop working. It really keeps the inspiration flowing! THAT is what it's all about!
So glad you're still diggin' the Blackthorne Consort! My love to Holly too!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Steve, it would be awesome if you could a/b the two guitars! Just some simple strumming would be my request. This is not about guitar skills, just a basic sense of what the guitars sound like. Thanks for the offer!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-11-2015, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

I second that request--we have many great pictures of your guitars, but so few recordings! It would be great to have some more recordings of your different body sizes for comparison. This OOO is really beautiful--there is an easy visual harmony between the various woods and trim. Even without the shading, it would still blend well.

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 10-11-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 AM

Stunning!
That is just beautiful.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

beautiful guitar. I too would love to hear a sound clip
Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I will try to figure out how to use the Zoom H4N recorder to make some clean sound clips. It will probably just be some fingerpicking figures, chord strums, and some open tuning examples- not full on musical compositions. I'm just not there yet with that!
Then I'll need to figure out how to post the clips here. Thanks, everyone, for getting on me to do this. I really want to give my guitars some revealing public demos.
I loaned the Ebony Falcon I built earlier this year to my friends, Joel and Cliff, last night. Yesterday, they stopped in to the shop after the fishing outing, and I got to hear what the Falcon sounds like from the spectator's side, as Joel and Cliff both rocked out on it for a few minutes. It is LOUD, especially for a little guitar, and it has a very distinctive "resonator" vibe- like an antique Dobro. Very cool!
I'm heading over to Cliff's house in a few minutes, and we're going to fry up some of the crappie we caught yesterday. Hopefully, they've both had a chance to play the Falcon in more depth; and maybe I can get them to chime in with their impressions here...
It's a beautiful, warm, sunny Fall day here- just about perfect for hanging out with friends.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 10-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

The Redwood looks to me like "fossilized water" in the way you have oriented the figure of the wood. How wonderful is that! It flows with grace. Now that I have found this thread I cannot stay away. Well done and well done!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Falcon

Gosh, it looks almost as good as Old #96!
Congrats on another fine build Steve, enjoy those crappies.
Jim
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thank you, Steve - looking forward to those recordings. I might try to get in front of the mic with the Blackthorne too, since I have everything set up at the moment (working on the newest).

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop