The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
It took me a while to settle on the wood combo. I considered going with primavera but eventually settled on walnut/engelmann. Based on the photos Ed sent me of the walnut, I think there should be a good contrast on the colours. Nothing too dark or too light.

Yours is really starting to come together John, can't wait to see the finished product. Are you planning on sharing sounds clips when the time comes?

Colin
If I can overcome the embarrassment of doing so. In preparation for doing so and just to give it a try, I recorded the rhythm section to B. Marley's "Three Little Birds" first using my seagull s6, then my martin DCPA1 then my taylor 610 ltd and then my McILroy A30c, then a Buggs Gear Jumbo. Surprisingly and somewhat dishearteningly, with the exception of the Martin and Buggs Gear which sounded similar but unique from the others, it was hard to tell them all apart despite considerable cost variability between models, so I am nervous about not doing the product justice as my beginners playing may not be good enough to get the true strengths out of my more expensive guitars. We will see if I want to take the risk for myself and the guitar.

I like the grain of the walnut, too.

John

Last edited by psychojohn; 01-22-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Default A set back

Got e-mail from Ed telling me we have to start build over. Thought he was joking until I visited his site:

The repair:

And the start over primavera wood from Ed's private reserve (even nicer than the original IMO):

Man I feel for Ed. Redoing rosette first, now a fresh restart on the body. It would appear his misfortune will become my good fortune. What integrity on his part starting over with wood he had set aside for himself.

John
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Ouch!! Sucks that he has to start over and you'll have to wait longer, but I think you are right, the primavera for the redo is pretty darn sweet!

Fingers crossed that this was the last of the snags.

Colin

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Guest 213

I don't get it -- what happened?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 PM

There was a gap in the binding cause the final piece was not quite trimmed short enough. It happens from time to time. Usually, you can carefully peel back the last 6" or so with an iron and a heat gun. But this time, the back seam popped, and there was no way it was going back together. So I did a BS salvage, but it'll never pass my standards.

So, we start anew! Part of the cost of doing business....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
There was a gap in the binding cause the final piece was not quite trimmed short enough. It happens from time to time. Usually, you can carefully peel back the last 6" or so with an iron and a heat gun. But this time, the back seam popped, and there was no way it was going back together. So I did a BS salvage, but it'll never pass my standards.

Ok, I see now. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
I know there are members more qualified than I to extoll the attributes of these woods so please have at it.....

John
i'm building a size 2 with primavera right now. furniture makers call it white mahogany. it's very easy to work with and lighter then mahogany too but somewhat easy to scorch. tone-wise it's in the mahogany family as well and sometimes seen in classical guitars. i chose q-sawn pieces for the build and it has some pink and grey streaks in it:

i'm glad Ed is taking care of you and so far the instrument looks very nice. i'm sure you'll be pleased with the result.

Last edited by arie; 01-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 PM

Plus, it smells like popcorn when you sand or bend it....
Old 01-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Update

New Rosette, front and back

Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Default the new box

ready for binding

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Default Bound and determined

Duplicate Post

Last edited by psychojohn; 02-10-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Bound and determined

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...18216543_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...95749020_n.jpg

Last edited by psychojohn; 02-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post

Very commendable! Nice to see a craftsman with integrity and pride. Hopefully this kind of attitude will draw more customers, and I honestly believe that to be the case.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM

John, she is looking amazing, that will be one stunning guitar once she is all finished.

I did buy a mandolin, hopefully teaching myself to play it will help keep me sane while I wait for Ed to build mine.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

John - This is looking sweet! I have a deposit with Ed just to get a place in line, but I've been bouncing around with the size, but have been leaning toward Primavera (and avoiding mahogany altogether for a dread I've been shopping for). I'm leaning toward a very similar build to yours -- need to settle on the size.

I also would love to hear a sample -- totally get the apprehension bit, would feel the same way. How about we make a deal to trade:-) ? Has Ed given you an ETA? I need to check in on how far how my start might be .... assuming I finalize size. We had bounced around the dread in Primavera, and Ed seemed interested in that because he has not built a Primavera dread (I think), but I'm also looking for smaller body and have been looking for a "traditional" dread for classic rock and folk stuff (read d28), but I cannot find one that hits price point, playability and tone...so we shall see.

It is a blast watching this come alive, and even the setback has added a bit suspense to it! Thanks for sharing the details.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop