The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Big Hollow 00 in Black Sunburst

It all begins with a fretboard. My new friend Bevan Frost (Big Hollow Guitars) is building me one of his Custom 00 size guitars in his 'Black Burst' oil varnish, hide glue, scalloped x-bracing and a Juniper branch inlay on the headstock. I think this is the AGF's first Big Hollow build thread. I got to play a few of these at Healdsburg and was really impressed. They are so lightweight and have a big, harmonically-rich sound. I'm not sure how long this one will take to complete but I'll try to keep this thread updated. Here's the custom specifications (subject to change):

Triple A grade Solid Lutz Spruce Top
Fiddleback Mahoghany Back and Sides
Mahoghany neck
Adirondack Spruce bracing ( advanced scalloped X-bracing)
Mortised-in maple bridge plate
Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and headstock veneer
Bloodwood trim
Herringbone purfling (Bold)
Black Burst color
Oil Varnish Finish
Hide Glue joints
Waverly or Schertler Tuners (need to confirm with Bevan)
Jescar nickel silver small profile fretwire
24.9" scale length
1-11/16" nut
2-1/4" string spacing
Ebony endpins w/ parisian eye
Firestripe pickguard
Pyramid Bridge with angled pins or
Belly/Pyramid combination (Whichever is in the example picture is the one I want)

The finish should look something like this when completed:

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Beauteous! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 AM

Nice one JR, I am in the batch after yours for my Big Hollow 00.

Russ

Last edited by welshruss; 09-24-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 AM

This "blackburst" must be one of the most attractive finishes I've seen so far!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Bevan got pretty busy after Healdsburg. My long scale 00 in Honduran RW/Lutz is in the first batch as well, also with the black oil/varnish sunburst. His shop is less than an hour away from me, so I give a first hand report as we get into the builds a bit further.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Oh boy! I've been a fan of Bevan's since running across one of his parlor guitars at a vintage guitar shop here in town and being blown away by the volume and rich tone coming from that little box. Very much looking forward to following this thread.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Hi JR:

What a great look for a guitar - I really like that a lot! Plz keep us informed.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi JR,

Wow, that sunburst really looks amazingly good! That is really going to be a pretty guitar! Best of luck on this build!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Fantastic lookin' guitar!! Nice work Bevan!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 PM

J.R., that's going to be one amazing finish! What exactly is Fiddleback Mahogany? Does Fiddleback simply refer to the grain pattern?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM

I played every guitar he brought to Headlsburg. **** fine instruments!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks, everyone! I had a great jam session with Bevan and also builder Jayson Bowerman out at Ribbecke's famous red barn. When me and Bevan swapped guitars for a few songs I was so impressed that I knew I had to have him build me one.

Yes, it does appear that Bevan got busy after Healdsburg. Can't wait to see what he's putting together for you guys.

JR
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 AM

I love the burst, and the OO I have from Bevan, yours is going to be a beauty.

Jayson Bowerman makes some fine guitars too. I'm expecting an octave mandolin from him soon and some guitars after that.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, J.R.!
I congratulate you for having such excellent taste and judgement, to have Bevan build you one of his amazing guitars. No question about it-- it's going to have the quality of legend. Here's my story:

I met Bevan at the HGF also, and right from the get-go, he inspired me on a lot of levels. He has a depth of focus that allows him to see into the essence of things. He has a very intrepid philosophy of life. And the first time I picked up one of his guitars and heard what it can do, I was floored! These were small guitars, 0- and 00-size, but they have a huge amount of air and space in the sound; amazing overtones, a unique and colorful vibe that's difficult to describe.

On Saturday night, Tom Ribbecke had his bi-annual HGF party out at his property in Healdsburg. Great music, food and imbibage there to be had, as night fell over the rolling hills of grapevines, and many dozens of people there, celebrating music, guitars, and endless stories about music and guitars...
And the most singular memory from this party was a completely spontaneous, almost accidental jam session between J.R., Bevan, and another guy on fiddle, whose name I somehow failed to get. Two guitars, one fiddle, with J.R. playing his new Aaron Andrews "Two Cents" copper-top guitar, Bevan playing one of his Big Hollow 00's, and some tasty, delicious fiddle accompaniment, adding some poetry to the prose. These three dudes sounded like they'd been playing together for years. Totally in the pocket, like polished, practiced compositions.

Then Bevan took the lead with one of his originals. It was mesmerizing. I got out my old iPhone and recorded the rest of the session with the voice memo app. It sounds crude, but you can tell there was something special happening.
This little jam is one of the greatest highlight of the 2013 HGF for me. It's not often you get to experience something like this-- three hugely talented people, having a spontaneous musical conversation on a summer night in the middle of acres of vineyards, and every note and harmony embellishment is perfectly formed... WOW. I mean, WOW!

People, you're going to be hearing a lot more about Bevan Frost and his Big Hollow guitars. This guy is the REAL DEAL. One hundred percent authentic.
The guitars he makes are ravishingly good.

-Steve
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM

That's a beauty, for sure...congratulations, JR!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop