The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hey guys the guitar looks fantastic! Love the A&C theme and how well its all coming together.

Kent, Out of curiosity, did you pore fill the Wenge FB or do you plan to just oil it ?
Thanks, Tim.

I chose a piece for the fretboard that doesn't have those trademark Wenge pores that you can drive a truck in. They are fewer and only slightly deeper than a lot of Brazilian and Indian Rosewood. Howard's Feed-n-Wax is the only treatment that is planned.

Do you sometimes fill with epoxy? I've never filled pores on a fretboard and am leery about using anything that might degrade with sweat and become sticky. Maybe I don't need to worry.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have not used Wenge for a FB [YET] but plan to. I would think a thin polyester epoxy pore fill might work to seal the craters and improve tactile feel if you think it needs it? Otherwise follow Howard's lead if he has experience withh the wax. I think Michi has used Wenge FBs before so he would also be another good resource.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I have not used Wenge for a FB [YET] but plan to. I would think a thin polyester epoxy pore fill might work to seal the craters and improve tactile feel if you think it needs it? Otherwise follow Howard's lead if he has experience withh the wax. I think Michi has used Wenge FBs before so he would also be another good resource.
I think an epoxy pore fill for Wenge is a great idea, especially for a fingerboard.
Those huge pores have put me off using Wenge for backs and sides for some time now; but I've heard so many great things about this wood from other luthiers, I recently bought a set of Wenge from Aaron Hix, and WOW! It has a ringing tone reminiscent of Brazilian or Honduran rosewood, and it's very pretty wood too.
So when I saw some exceptionally nice quarter-sawn Wenge lumber for sale at one of my Oregon dealers last week, I bought about five guitars-worth of it.
I definitely plan on using an epoxy pore-fill with this wood, probably System Three. I figure three applications, spaced at various stages of the construction, should do the trick.

I've been enjoying this thread. I've admired Kent's work for a long time, and this guitar is turning out to be a masterpiece of design and craft skills. I hope we get some sound clips of the finished guitar!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It actually feels smooth and slick after the final sanding. No problems holding the frets either.

If you use wood that is dead on quarter, the soft early wood (and maybe the pores) is minimized. I think it will wear quite well and not get schmutzed up worse than any other wood.

And I think we're talking about different Howards http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I think an epoxy pore fill for Wenge is a great idea, especially for a fingerboard.
Those huge pores have put me off using Wenge for backs and sides for some time now; but I've heard so many great things about this wood from other luthiers, I recently bought a set of Wenge from Aaron Hix, and WOW! It has a ringing tone reminiscent of Brazilian or Honduran rosewood, and it's very pretty wood too.
So when I saw some exceptionally nice quarter-sawn Wenge lumber for sale at one of my Oregon dealers last week, I bought about five guitars-worth of it.
I definitely plan on using an epoxy pore-fill with this wood, probably System Three. I figure three applications, spaced at various stages of the construction, should do the trick.

I've been enjoying this thread. I've admired Kent's work for a long time, and this guitar is turning out to be a masterpiece of design and craft skills. I hope we get some sound clips of the finished guitar!
Thanks, Steve. I don't even dread working with Wenge any more. Once you learn to be careful of splinters and give it plenty of heat when bending, it goes just fine. Some has much larger pores than others. I know of one builder who rejected it after taking the back to final thickness and seeing light through it! I haven't come across any like that yet.

I just wish I had purchased a lot more of it when I had the chance. I started using it when wide quartered boards were still plentiful at places like Crosscut. Not any more. And that was less than 10 years ago!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM

I'm I'm loving this build, Kent! The design and wood choices are perfect! Now to figure out how to get it to my living room,,, hmmm,,, :-)

Joel
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Hardware color

Here are some photos of the headstock with a set of black and gold tuning machines. Don't pay attention to the buttons because Kent is making some custom buttons.

I personally prefer the black hardware over the gold. I also think that the mechanical honesty of open tuners makes sense with the design paradigm. The black hardware will visually balance the ebony bridge.

Now if there was some hammered, aged bronze tuners...:-)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM
*mahoganut*

Antique or brushed bronze/gold might also be a good option to consider..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Hey Kent, love the Wenge fretboard, I'm going to have to try that.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Good to hear from you, Greg. Hope all is well.

This thing is almost ready for finish. I'm putting on the heel cap and cutting the pocket for the adjustable neck. Then the end graft. Hope to get all that done today.

I'm also doing a second round of finish samples to figure out how to keep the open-pore texture but reduce the depth of the pores. I think I have it...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Default My new Chasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. D. View Post
In the mean time, I can show you other progress. W. D., here's the guitar that yours inspired. Pretty much the only change was the slotted headstock.

Wow, Kent, that is spectacular! Love the slotted headstock. You may recall my guitar (#81 --same wood combo) also has a Sexauer-inspired hybrid cutaway. The ziricote on the new guitar is gorgeous and I so like the fingerboard. Also, the ebony rosette and binding compliments the spidering in the ziricote in an understated but wonderfully classic manner. Great work! My guitar continues to mature both in sound and appearance (i.e. the redwood top.) It is a treasured instrument, and the owner of your new creation will surely be thrilled as well.

The Engelmann/Cocobolo is also beautiful, and of course your new craftsman creation is inspiring.
I am the proud new owner of this baby. Brought it home last week and cannot put it down. It was very exciting waiting for Kent to work his magic, and I would highly recommend him as a builder if you are considering a custom build. He was VERY easy to work with, and had great advice on every choice I had to make for this build. I pretty much left him alone after he started (even though I live in Bellingham too), and he made a guitar that blows my mind.

Not only is it a stunning piece of artwork, it is the easiest playing, best sounding guitar I have ever had the privilege to play. Perfect balance and tone, even volume across the strings, enormous sustain, yet very responsive to attack and touch….unbelievable. I already told Kent that I would be on his build list again in three or four years. I want one of his fan fret necks.

Thanks for the inspiration W.D. I was able to play your guitar at Kent's shop before he sent it out to you and loved it too. I am looking forward to mine aging beautifully, and sounding better with age (if possible). My guitar buddies are all jealous, and I have had to put a lock on my guitar room.
Gibson L-1 Robert Johnson Model
Martin 0-15S
Breedlove OOO-SR/H
Breedlove AC250/CR
Tacoma Roadking
1984 Sigma DR-28H - for sale
Godin A6 - for sale
1994 Telecaster Deluxe Plus
1949 Airline Lapsteel
Fender Cyclone (MIM) - my bar guitar
1978 Ovation Applause - my first guitar - campfire guitar
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Congrats

Great to hear, Identicalstrang. Everything you say rings true with my experience, both in terms of the stunning sound and appearance of the end product, as well as the very positive experience of collaborating with Kent. He was great to work with and I fully second your endorsement of him.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Default You guys are killing me with your beautiful guitars...

KC No. 99 will probably be complete in a week or so. But that's where the real patience begins.

When Kent and I where coming up with concepts for this commission, two divergent concepts were developed: #99 the wenge/engelmann "craftsman style" guitar you seen progressing in this thread. The other concept was a brazilian/engelmann Frank Lloyd Wright "prairie style" design.

Kent, being the great guy that he is made a most generous offer to make both instruments and allow me to choose between them. A most unusual and generous offer to have me A/B two custom guitars and decide.

Once that one begins, I will create a new posting.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Default No 100

Very cool of Kent!

Kent, are you going to use that set of "3D" Brazilian that you showed me for #100. That is one of the most visually stunning pieces of wood I have ever seen. It almost plays tricks on your eyes. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is finished. I can't imagine turning down a guitar made out of that, but it looks like you are going to have a very hard choice to make as #99 is coming along very nicely.
Gibson L-1 Robert Johnson Model
Martin 0-15S
Breedlove OOO-SR/H
Breedlove AC250/CR
Tacoma Roadking
1984 Sigma DR-28H - for sale
Godin A6 - for sale
1994 Telecaster Deluxe Plus
1949 Airline Lapsteel
Fender Cyclone (MIM) - my bar guitar
1978 Ovation Applause - my first guitar - campfire guitar
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I believe that this is the set of BRW that we had selected for KC No. 100 back in August 2013...

Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by identicalstrang View Post
Very cool of Kent!

Kent, are you going to use that set of "3D" Brazilian that you showed me for #100. That is one of the most visually stunning pieces of wood I have ever seen. It almost plays tricks on your eyes. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is finished. I can't imagine turning down a guitar made out of that, but it looks like you are going to have a very hard choice to make as #99 is coming along very nicely.
Too late. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=chasson

That's the second reminder this week that I need to finish up that thread...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop