The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM

OK I have the finish leveled and sanded to 3000 Trizact pad. The finish shines already without being glossy, and wondering if I want to just skip the hand glaze and leave it this way. I might do so for the top. I have a less crappy camera for pics, but I'll borrow a good camera to take some more decent pics...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 PM

A pic of the top...

[IMG][/IMG]

Close up of the top "silking." On the top I stopped at 2000 grit and just burnished the surface with a soft cotton cloth.

Close-up of the rosette.

A view of the back. The color of the mahogany seems to "overdrive" the camera (just a cell phone pic.)

I tried to capture the fine surface the 3000 grit Trizact pad leaves. The 5000 grit will smooth it out even more.

Cutaway detail. I'm happy overall with the miters, but know I can do better if I wear glasses.

End graft pic. I kind of like the "mistake" repair look, though it was a royal pain trying to miter those tiny pieces.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 AM

A couple quick pics of what I'm using for finishing. 3M Trizact abrasive pads in 3000 and 5000 grit. These are used wet with a flexible Velcro sanding block. The 5000 grit leaves a very nice finish that has more of a warm glow than polishing out, though polishing the 5000 grit surface leaves an almost perfect finish. This stuff is great as it eliminates rubbing compounds stages; you can go direct to polishing compound or even hand glaze. I used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Perfect-It with the Perfect-It foam pad for a mirror shine.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Again I did not rub the finish out with compounds; this is the surface left from the 5000 grit Trizact pad. They also come in discs as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
it eliminates rubbing compounds stages
Is there a benefit to that?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Is there a benefit to that?
If you have a pedestal buffer and use stick compounds maybe none. For me, not having to.buy and store another chemical, getting a surface as perfect and flat as possible, not having.compound or.compound.dust getting everywhere, less rags to clean or keep track of... I am sure they are not for everyone but I have had excellent results so far and maybe others might want to know about this stuff. They are not cheap, about $35 a box of 15 but they last a very long time (I cut down 4 guitars with one pad and they still cut.)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If you have a pedestal buffer and use stick compounds maybe none. For me, not having to.buy and store another chemical, getting a surface as perfect and flat as possible, not having.compound or.compound.dust getting everywhere, less rags to clean or keep track of... I am sure they are not for everyone but I have had excellent results so far and maybe others might want to know about this stuff. They are not cheap, about $35 a box of 15 but they last a very long time (I cut down 4 guitars with one pad and they still cut.)
All good information. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Update... this is unreal. I showed the guitar to my client.who.buys the electric bodies from me, and he bought this guitar on the spot! And, he asked me to build two more guitars for the show room! Very excited and hope this pans out...
Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Update... this is unreal. I showed the guitar to my client.who.buys the electric bodies from me, and he bought this guitar on the spot! And, he asked me to build two more guitars for the show room! Very excited and hope this pans out...
Good work!

Your build looked amazing; equal if not above some of the other build threads on this forum.

Post up a video if you can!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Good work!

Your build looked amazing; equal if not above some of the other build threads on this forum.

Post up a video if you can!

Thank you for the vey kind compliments! I am adding side dots at the buyer's request and adding them to all future builds, and delivering this at the end of the week. I'll take some vudeos then if I can. 14th Street in Manhattan is not a shabby place to show.my stuff!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Has avreally cool experience last night. I delivered the guitar, and my client was extremely happy with it. He added a pickup and asked me if I wanted to hang around. Even helped him out refitting the saddle for the piezo. The amplified sound was amazing to our ears! The bass boost of the Fishman really works well without the typical boomy sound, nor the dreaded piezo quack. Very nice aystem, and the install was flawless. A litle tough getting the jack in, with the hard end block and hand reamers.

His singer came in fir a brief rehearsal, and the guitar accompaned her vert well, complimenting her voice withiut overpoweing ber. There is the warmth and midrange of mahogany, but we felt it was not muddy at all. There was great separation and clarity to the.notes.

I have some vids and will post soon...
Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Photo of the proud new owner Paul putting the guitar through its paces...

[IMG][/IMG]

The guitar at the shop:

[IMG][/IMG]

View of the soundhole and logo:

[IMG][/IMG]

The top... Paul and I agree we like the aesthetic of simplicity and letting the wood "speak" for itself. I'm as much a fan of Ervin Somogyi's work as well as Michael Greenfield and wanted to capture some of that aesthetic as far as the body and cutaway shape...

[IMG][/IMG]

The slightly asymmetrical heel can be seen here as well as the inlay detail. Also a view of the figured maple neck with the stringers matching the backstrip inlay.

[IMG][/IMG]

Besides Paul and I, a few clients of his came through the door and got a chance to play the guitar. All remarked on the ease of play and how quickly they adapted to the fanned frets. I hate to admit the sides dots do help me a little bit, being I have a non-standard neck join. Also remarked upon was the clarity of the instrument while still having that mahogany warmth. It is very sensitive, yet one client was a pretty hard strummer and he was able to wail on it without the sound breaking up.

Here are a couple videos. The sound quality is not the best as the phone camera makes the bass a bit more boomy than it actually is. But I hopw it gives an idea of the sound of the guitar. This is amplified through a Fishman amp with pretty neutral settings (a little reverb maybe) and the bass boost on the onboard preamp (Paul does not have a bass player in their group so he tries to get the bass from the guitar.) The singer is Stella, and these shots are from a quick rehearsal they did in the shop prior to a gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pzi...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9G0...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Excellent thread Louie, and a beautiful guitar ... ..I do so love to see somebody thinking outside the box.

Your one big mistake, of course, was getting Stella to participate in the demo videos ... at the end of the video i was left thinking ..." guitar ? ..what guitar ...?? ..."
Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Excellent thread Louie, and a beautiful guitar ... ..I do so love to see somebody thinking outside the box.

Your one big mistake, of course, was getting Stella to participate in the demo videos ... at the end of the video i was left thinking ..." guitar ? ..what guitar ...?? ..."
She did make.filming with the phone cam a bit tough.... thanks.however

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair