The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
So - I don't have much info, but the TD2 release is being pushed back a bit due to some software issue that is being worked on. I tried to get more info, but apparently the software guy hasn't been able to commit to a specific date for the completion. There are a few new features that will be in TD2, and I got the impression it's one of these. I know James will post something as soon as he has something specific to announce, but he's an engineer, not marketing, so until he's got it working to his complete satisfaction, we won't be promoting it -

But in the meantime, we'll all have to just wait a little longer. But from what I know that I can't pass on, I'm very sure it'll be worth it -
Interesting. Does waiting a little longer translate to Summer '23 availability? Or longer?

To quote Inigo Montoya, "I hate wait."
2021 Iris DF Burst
2021 Taylor Big Baby
Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90
Seagull Walnut 12 EQ
Eastman MD505 Mandolin
Old 03-18-2023, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

I really wish I could say - honestly, knowing James I’d be really surprised if it took til summer, but as I said, he’s an engineer, so he’s not gonna release anything until it meets his very critical approval. I have a sneaky feeling that many other companies would (successfully) release what he has ready, then release a series of updates to fix bugs, but that’s not his style -

But beyond that - James will undoubtedly weigh in on this as soon as he has something specific to offer. I know for me, it’ll be well worth the wait -
Old 05-08-2023, 12:26 PM

It's now May -- Hopefully the ToneDexter II will be on its way
Old 08-12-2023, 12:37 PM

It got pushed back again.

Last edited by idimata; 08-12-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:30 PM

Does anyone else have any more information on the ToneDexter II?
Old 09-11-2023, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Yes! I had a very nice conversation with James about it, and it seems all technical and manufacturing issues have been resolved, software has been pretty much squared away with just the possibility of some interface tweaks, and he plans to be there when the first couple hundred roll out of manufacturing next month. There’s still packaging, documentation, and marketing stuff that needs to be dealt with, but that’s about it. He’s included a whole lot of very cool features, and there will be enough under the hood for future firmware modifications. I won’t give hints, because I wouldn’t be able to adequately answer any questions about the how’s or why’s or what if’s, but it will be an incredibly powerful and flexible unit. It’s especially exciting that this will not be specifically a guitar-oriented product, but something that any stringed instrument player could greatly benefit from.

Right now James is really busy working very long hours, so he hasn’t had the bandwidth to get involved in the forum, but once the units are packed and shipping, he’ll be much more available and he’ll be able to go deep into the weeds to explain all the new options and features he’s included for those that are interested. I can’t wait to try one out for myself!

I’m not sure how soon you’ll be able to order, but Sweetwater might have them listed late next month, as well as other dealers, and shipping should follow shortly after that -

I hope I got all that right - any errors are purely mine, and don’t hold James responsible until he has time to chime in in more detail -
Old 09-11-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Optimization of placement and getting a result you really like is the key to a better IR.
As I recall from one video or interview, Mollie Tuttle liked her SM57 for ToneDexter training. My best results so far are with a cheap Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic. In other words, it doesn't require an expensive mic, but flat frequency response seems to help.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes! I had a very nice conversation with James about it, and it seems all technical and manufacturing issues have been resolved, software has been pretty much squared away with just the possibility of some interface tweaks, and he plans to be there when the first couple hundred roll out of manufacturing next month....
Great news and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-11-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Yes! I had a very nice conversation with James about it, and it seems all technical and manufacturing issues have been resolved, software has been pretty much squared away with just the possibility of some interface tweaks, and he plans to be there when the first couple hundred roll out of manufacturing next month. There’s still packaging, documentation, and marketing stuff that needs to be dealt with, but that’s about it. He’s included a whole lot of very cool features, and there will be enough under the hood for future firmware modifications. I won’t give hints, because I wouldn’t be able to adequately answer any questions about the how’s or why’s or what if’s, but it will be an incredibly powerful and flexible unit. It’s especially exciting that this will not be specifically a guitar-oriented product, but something that any stringed instrument player could greatly benefit from.

Right now James is really busy working very long hours, so he hasn’t had the bandwidth to get involved in the forum, but once the units are packed and shipping, he’ll be much more available and he’ll be able to go deep into the weeds to explain all the new options and features he’s included for those that are interested. I can’t wait to try one out for myself!

I’m not sure how soon you’ll be able to order, but Sweetwater might have them listed late next month, as well as other dealers, and shipping should follow shortly after that -

I hope I got all that right - any errors are purely mine, and don’t hold James responsible until he has time to chime in in more detail -
That's better news than I was expecting! Thank you
Old 09-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Thats one other detail I got, but don’t really understand all the technical or operational aspects of - stop thinking IRs, think wavemaps - and I think he said that you’d be able to load and unload them, enter names, etc, etc, -

Yeah - too many improvements and advanced capabilities for me to fully grok - I was initially concerned it would be too hard to understand and use because of that, but was reassured that it will be easier and better at everything I knew with the original TD, but when I needed it, there’d be even more - plus, it’d be much more obvious when I could get my hands on the knobs (so to speak) -
Old 09-12-2023, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I hope the Maps will be able to be exported as traditional IR's. I understand that the hesitation is that it may lead to less sales of hardware but with so many molders being used now (Helix, Kemper, Quad Cortex, Fractal and more) I think a lot of those users would buy a ToneDexter with a view to creating Maps to use in their current modelers which would add to sales.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I hope the Maps will be able to be exported as traditional IR's. I understand that the hesitation is that it may lead to less sales of hardware but with so many molders being used now (Helix, Kemper, Quad Cortex, Fractal and more) I think a lot of those users would buy a ToneDexter with a view to creating Maps to use in their current modelers which would add to sales.
Yeah - thats why I was hesitant to mention all that, I don’t really understand all the distinctions - James has talked to a lot of users, and a lot of very technical people, and he’s imagined a whole lot of possibilities for this kind of thing right from the beginning, and also some uses that I had never imagined. We’ll just have to wait (impatiently) until the first units (and complete documentation) get into users hands - I can’t imagine you’ll be disappointed -
Old 09-12-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I hope the Maps will be able to be exported as traditional IR's.
I have the strong feeling that a wavemap consists of much more than an IR, so that exporting to IR would lose a significant amount of quality and efficacy.

But I hope I'm wrong and that there could be an export feature.

One way it would come in handy - keep the ToneDexter at home, and take out a small device to 'play' the IR when gigging.

For example, I have 6 guitars with wavemaps, but I will NEVER take out all 6 for any performance.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-12-2023, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah - thats why I was hesitant to mention all that, I don’t really understand all the distinctions - James has talked to a lot of users, and a lot of very technical people, and he’s imagined a whole lot of possibilities for this kind of thing right from the beginning, and also some uses that I had never imagined. We’ll just have to wait (impatiently) until the first units (and complete documentation) get into users hands - I can’t imagine you’ll be disappointed -
I hope it delivers and does well. We need more innovation in this area and Boss, Fishman, Yamaha etc are not currently showing as much interest as I would like to see.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:17 PM

I believe that the Tonedexter II will handle dual source pickup systems separately- I'm excited to get one and try it with my K&K Trinity systems. Next pickup might be an Ultratonic and I'll add a mic to it as I've grown to greatly rely on mixing in some "air" from the microphone even in louder situations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
james may, tonedexter