The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Major news re ASCAP, BMI and Folk Alliance

It was announced today at the Folk Alliance conference that due to the efforts of FAR-West Pres. Renee Bodie, both ASCAP and BMI have agreed to exempt all private house concert series that are hosted by Folk Alliance members from having to pay a license fee! Moreover, negotiations are nearly completed that would result in small coffeehouses and promoters of small concerts in churches and coffeehouses would have a very modest license fee (about $10) built into their organizational FA membership dues for purchase of a blanket license by FA; and as a result, for the first time ever, PRO member-songwriters whose works are performed in these concerts and venues (also including singer-songwriters who perform their own registered songs) will receive writer-publisher royalties on an actual, not sampling, basis!

Also, it is no longer necessary for ASCAP members to "rat out" non-licensed venues at which they play in order to receive an annual ASCAPlus Award (established to pay members receiving airplay and getting their songs covered on stations that are not sampled during the quarterly two-week periods); from now on, a letter describing airplay, songwriting activity, other artists covering their tunes, and dates (not necessarily venue names) will suffice as an application for this award. BMI is considering instituting a similar program. (They ought to--I receive more in ASCAPlus Award royalties in one year than many BMI songwriters who've sold half a million records have gotten in their entire careers).

Stay tuned!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Hey Sandy!!!

How are you!!

Havent been reading too much from you lately, kinda miss the detailed and very well written post's from you!

Hope all is well, take care!

Sammy
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
It was announced today at the Folk Alliance conference that due to the efforts of FAR-West Pres. Renee Bodie, both ASCAP and BMI have agreed to exempt all private house concert series that are hosted by Folk Alliance members from having to pay a license fee! Moreover, negotiations are nearly completed that would result in small coffeehouses and promoters of small concerts in churches and coffeehouses would have a very modest license fee (about $10) built into their organizational FA membership dues for purchase of a blanket license by FA; and as a result, for the first time ever, PRO member-songwriters whose works are performed in these concerts and venues (also including singer-songwriters who perform their own registered songs) will receive writer-publisher royalties on an actual, not sampling, basis!

Also, it is no longer necessary for ASCAP members to "rat out" non-licensed venues at which they play in order to receive an annual ASCAPlus Award (established to pay members receiving airplay and getting their songs covered on stations that are not sampled during the quarterly two-week periods); from now on, a letter describing airplay, songwriting activity, other artists covering their tunes, and dates (not necessarily venue names) will suffice as an application for this award. BMI is considering instituting a similar program. (They ought to--I receive more in ASCAPlus Award royalties in one year than many BMI songwriters who've sold half a million records have gotten in their entire careers).

Stay tuned!
Thanks for keeping us informed!

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti814ce View Post
Hey Sandy!!!

How are you!!

Havent been reading too much from you lately, kinda miss the detailed and very well written post's from you!

Hope all is well, take care!

Sammy
Thanks, Sammy! Basically, I've been in "running-around-like-a-headless-chicken" mode. Played 17 shows in Coffeyville and Caney, KS last week and hit the ground running as soon as I arrived in Memphis for Folk Alliance. Been having (attending and chairing) various meetings (including three different exec. bds.) and barely have time to showcase, the complete reverse of years past when all I did was showcase, rehearse for showcases, emcee showcases, and hold down the fort in the Exhibit Hall. In other words, I'm networking my brains out. Was surprised with an award Wed. night for my work with FARM, and even more surprised when my husband phoned to say he nearly drove off the road when he heard my name mentioned on XM 15 (it was aired live on The Village). Got a couple days left of meetings and showcases, and Sun. we get to visit Stax and Beale St. Then it's home Mon (arr. Tues) to 8" or more of new snow, and my trigger-thumb tendon-release surgery next Fri. (I'll be typing one-handed for awhile).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Thanks, Sammy! Basically, I've been in "running-around-like-a-headless-chicken" mode. Played 17 shows in Coffeyville and Caney, KS last week and hit the ground running as soon as I arrived in Memphis for Folk Alliance. Been having (attending and chairing) various meetings (including three different exec. bds.) and barely have time to showcase, the complete reverse of years past when all I did was showcase, rehearse for showcases, emcee showcases, and hold down the fort in the Exhibit Hall. In other words, I'm networking my brains out. Was surprised with an award Wed. night for my work with FARM, and even more surprised when my husband phoned to say he nearly drove off the road when he heard my name mentioned on XM 15 (it was aired live on The Village). Got a couple days left of meetings and showcases, and Sun. we get to visit Stax and Beale St. Then it's home Mon (arr. Tues) to 8" or more of new snow, and my trigger-thumb tendon-release surgery next Fri. (I'll be typing one-handed for awhile).
Well that's FANTASTIC!! Im glad to hear things are going great and your busy doing what you love! You and the family drive carefully and continue the good work on XM!!!

Take care,

Sammy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell