The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Question Putting a steinway piano sample to a midi controller keyboard?

Hello, folks
Last time I visited my friend's house and his brother had a steinway sample piano sound on his midi controller! Wow it was like a 200-300 keyboard, but the piano really sounded real and like steinway

Do you know if I can buy like a m-audio oxygen midi controller and put the steinway sample? and then carry it around for live or recording?

If so, can I simple keep the sample in the midi controller and just plug in a 1/4 instrument cable?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I think most Midi Controllers have to be hooked up to a computer to use the sounds. I don't think most of them have storage on them. Its hard to find a good enough sound system often times to get it to really sound like a full size grand piano. I have a 9 foot Yamaha sound in my Apple Logic software that I use to record all piano parts on my albums. It sounds great and I'm recording it on a $400 M audio midi controller!!!! Logic is great software by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 02-24-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM

If you go to my MySpace link below and click on the song THE GREAT AWAKENING, you will hear a Bosendorfer grand piano (better than Steinway) sound library loaded on a MOTU Mach5 sampler played with a MIDI file I composed and loaded into Pro-Tools. A concert pianist I know listened to it and could not tell it was not a real piano. Give it a listen and you'll be blown away by the sound quality.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM

+1 on the Bosendorfer patch. It's amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell