The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 AM

Default knee support ?

I was teaching myself classical guitar , using the book by Noad, Solo Guitar Playing. I hired a teacher to help bring me through to the next level. So classical is new to me, when I taught myself steel string guitar , I used to sit in a relaxed position with the guitar on my right knee; now it is on my left and I am using a footstool , and my back is killing me! lol So I saw that "they" offered a knee support for classical guitars...anyone out there use them? Good bad otherwise?
The Loar LH319VS for blues
and a banger banjo Johnson JB100 -
Fishburn - Loudbox Mini - nice to plug in once in a while
Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 AM

Default knee support ?

You talking about this?

http://www.neckup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Joe
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Musical minimalist

fixed link....

http://www.neckup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM

I use the Gitano guitar support. It is small, and will fit in the accessory compartment in cases. If you do use one or anything with suction cups I would be sure to use suction cup protectors. They will eat through some ( especially nitro ) finishes.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 10-19-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Yep ! That's what I'm talking about.
Thanks!

Guitar support, not knee support...got it.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
Yep ! That's what I'm talking about.
Thanks!

Guitar support, not knee support...got it.
Hi Hybrid...

There is another called the Ergo - and it is also a rigid support, and has to be carried outside the case.

I started with Ergo, but the cups were damaging the finish of my guitars, so I tossed it, and moved to NeckUp in 2005. Been using them daily since...

I like the fact they are all very adjustable/customizable, and with the NeckUp, parts are available. I also like the fact the NeckUp is a leather strap which folds flat, and fits under my headstock in the case.

NeckUps do NOT eat through finish...all 3 of my main guitars are Nitro finished.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

NeckUps do NOT eat through finish...all 3 of my main guitars are Nitro finished.

Wish mine didn't. I learned the hard way, Larry

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Stool and Neckup and Dynarette

I've always struggled to find a comfortable playing position. I started on a steel-string dreadnought, which in hindsight was too large a guitar for me. Even on the steel string I preferred the classical positioning.

Now that I'm focussed on nylon string, I started with a foot stool but found I was twisting my back.

Then I ran across the Neck-up support. I really liked it, but was worried about ruining my guitar's nitro-finish with the vinyl suction cups. I only used it for ~ 2 months and saw no sign of damage.

I recently bought a large Dynarette cushion and like it better than the Neck-up, other than it is less convenient to transport. I find that I sometimes still use the footstool on it's lowest height setting in combination with the Dynarette cushion.

I also know that I need to pay more attention to the height of my stool. I tend to switch between different stools and chairs which throws off the ergonomic adjustments I had made at the previous sitting height.

I saw a video of a female classical guitarist playing on stage the other day. She was wearing a fancy ball gown and very tall high heels. I found myself wondering if she practiced guitar at home while wearing those heels because they would have thrown off her ergonomics and guitar positioning. I have this image of her in her flannel pyjamas, hair curlers, and 4" high heels practising while her morning coffee is brewing...
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Another option might be to experiment with crossing your legs, or putting your right foot on your left knee (like some flamenco players do), or propping your guitar on your right leg (on the body of the guitar, not in the waist like most steel string players). See how Scott Tennant holds his guitar to see what I mean (in the pic below).

The weight of his right arm holds the guitar in place. He often has a cloth or pad on his right leg, not for placement, but for friction so the guitar doesn't slip and slide around on slippery dress pants. This isn't totally needed, though. Many people play without the cloth on their leg, as do I, and the guitar is very secure. But if you are in nice slacks, the cloth can help.

I hold my classical the same way, as I have very short legs and arms but a long torso, so I had trouble getting a footstool to feel comfortable for me. I had back pain as you do, and also shoulder pain. Getting rid of the footstool and holding my guitar like Scott Tennant does fixed both issues and is more convenient.

This gets the guitar nice and high without needing to crook your back. I also find it works well on a wide variety of seating situations. I give guitar lessons in student's homes, so I am always sitting on random furniture with different heights. Some work well with a foot stool, some do not (like barstools).

Here's an example with the right foot on left knee (Paco de Lucia). He used to fully cross his legs when he was younger (knee on top of knee).

His posture is very straight with no leaning, so this might help your back issues.

A guitar support might be the perfect solution for you, I just wanted to throw it out there that you do not *have* to put the guitar on your left leg (which requires either a footstool or guitar support) since using the right leg can eliminate the need for either. A guitar support, more or less, replaces the footstool and puts the guitar in the same position, so it might not fix your problem. You can use them in conjunction, however, and that might fix your back issue by getting the guitar even higher than a stool alone.

The last thing to consider is that the pain might be coming from you tensing up unnecessarily, rather than the position being bad*. If you are not used to a new position, you might just need to relax a bit and get used to it, and maybe make a minor adjustment to the guitar placement rather than a large adjustment. Sometimes a minor adjustment can make a big difference. The next time you practice, try to keep all of your muscles relaxed and make a note of it if you are tensing up any muscles not needed to actually play. Another part of your body being tense (especially your left thigh) can actually cause the back pain by forcing you to activate your back muscles.

Bring the pain up to your teacher in your next lesson.

*I'm not saying the standard classical guitar position is bad, just that it might not be the right one for you, or rather, it might actually be the right one for you, but you need to make a minor adjustment or relax more to get rid of the back pain.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe

Last edited by Special B; 10-19-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 AM

I cross my left leg over my right and sit the guitar on top of my left thigh (this is sitting normally on an upright chair with no footstool). This gives a playing position approx halfway between the classical posture and "guitar on right thigh" position. I find the angle of the guitar suits my playing style: the neck is at a good angle for a combination of open and barre chords and my right hand position seems to fall just right for fingerpicking - which I mostly do. I play all my guitars - classical, acoustic and electric - this way.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Another happy NeckUp owner, can't play without one now, easily folds into the guitar case.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Default Support

I have the Gitano and the Ergoplay-tappert model. The Ergoplay tends to slide on my knee a bit while playing and I find it to be cumbersome. The Gitano is light, stays put, and is my favorite.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 11-04-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM

After checking them out I am going to see if I can find a Gitano locally, my wife loves to sew, so I am having her make a custom cushion as well. hey, never hurts to have more than one. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I'm just going to go ahead and throw another recommendation for the neck-up. I have one for my classical and one for my steel-string.

The thing I really like about the neck-up, is, You can adjust it to just about any lift you want. Also, since it is supple leather, it moves with you. I like to lean back in my chair a lot and the leather neck-up accommodates any angle that I am playing at (unlike some of the other systems out there). It folds on itself to fit in the case compartment easily.

I almost bought the Gitano, but after trying my friend's, I thought it was too rigid. I came on here and ljguitar recommended the neck-up. I bought it and I will say he did NOT steer me wrong. They are very well made and I can't live without one now

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and throw another recommendation for the neck-up. I have one for my classical and one for my steel-string.

The thing I really like about the neck-up, is, You can adjust it to just about any lift you want. Also, since it is supple leather, it moves with you. I like to lean back in my chair a lot and the leather neck-up accommodates any angle that I am playing at (unlike some of the other systems out there). It folds on itself to fit in the case compartment easily.

I almost bought the Gitano, but after trying my friend's, I thought it was too rigid. I came on here and ljguitar recommended the neck-up. I bought it and I will say he did NOT steer me wrong. They are very well made and I can't live without one now
Glad I checked back in, I plan on getting one tomorrow morning, so I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical