The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Does the Taylor GO make the GS obsolete?

Those of you who have had the pleasure to play the GO models please explain. I unfortunately have none in my area. I thought the GS was going to be the big sound. How would you compare the two?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM

No. We are all different. In my case, everything but GA is obsolete but that's just my taste.

72 000-18
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytojt View Post
Those of you who have had the pleasure to play the GO models please explain. I unfortunately have none in my area. I thought the GS was going to be the big sound. How would you compare the two?
The GA was and as far as I'm concerned is Taylor's best sound I guess I've been out of the Taylor loop to long--haven't heard of the GO model.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Does the Taylor GO make the GS obsolete?
... and the DN as well.
2014 Collings OM2H
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

no way the GS will be out of style or use. Its a wonderful design with excellent applications. for years i thought i had to have a small body short scale instrument-had an odd chance one day to play a GS and that was that. The size works great for me sitting and covers all the styles of guitar that i want to learn.

to me the GO is just a continuation of developement at Taylor. in my mind the GS is the 185 jumbo and the GO is the J200.

I have a GA that is a killer instrument as well, for whatever reason the GS waist and bouts just fit my body perfect when i play.

i'm sure there will be some folks selling GS guitars to move on to the GO, in time it will balance out due to the newness and the dust will settle, imo.

d
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM

It would be a pretty poor endorsement of a guitar company to say that a new model makes a prior model obsolete. The D-18 has stood up pretty well after too many models to name were introduced.
I don't own either Martin or Taylor so it isn't pick on Taylor time, just seemed an interesting comment by some people much more familiar with Taylor than me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM

I had a chance to play all three GO's today. I was very impressed with all of them, especially the maple 618e. The only GS they had in stock was a fall limited Sapele. I did play that one the get a comparison, and I would say the GO is just more guitar. More bass and more volume in particular. To me, they are somewhat similar, but I would say the jump is about the same from a GA to GS as from the GS to the GO.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Does the Taylor GO make the GS obsolete?
Yes, it makes it completely obsolete and completely unusable. Please immediately PM me and I will provide you with an address to ship your 816 for quick disposal
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markallen View Post
Yes, it makes it completely obsolete and completely unusable. Please immediately PM me and I will provide you with an address to ship your 816 for quick disposal
I like this guy lol
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM

The blunt answer: Yes.

The PC answer: The newest shape to join the Taylor family unleashes the boldest, richest voice available in a Taylor guitar. Just as the Grand Symphony yields a deeper, more powerful voice than the Grand Auditorium, the Grand Orchestra stands out as a more robust alternative to the Grand Symphony. The GO shape features a slightly bigger footprint and a deeper body, which helps produce a potent low-end response. Under the hood, a new bracing scheme optimizes the movement of the soundboard to produce louder, more complex tone with incredible sustain. What separates the Grand Orchestra from other big-bodied guitars is how balanced the tone is from top to bottom, especially given its brawny bass. And unlike other big-body guitars that require an aggressive attack to get the top moving, the GO is responsive to a light touch, rewarding players who have a dynamic playing style. If you crave a guitar sound that’s brimming with power and rich detail, the Grand Orchestra won’t disappoint. From big cowboy chords to lush fingerstyle arrangements, the Grand Orchestra might be the most expressive and versatile big guitar you ever play.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Haven't had a chance to play the GOs, but I doubt that these models will make the other Taylor lines "obsolete". Personally, I wouldn't mind if Taylor did consider not expanding their lines even more...there are just too many Taylors to choose from
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM

How can one body style make others obsolete when people are looking for different sounds with the different body styles?

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM

I dont think it makes it obsolete, but I think a GO is an improved version of the GS.

I think that some people want the most tone they can get from the biggest guitar they can handle.

Different shapes and sizes are very necessary.

Guitars are not one size fits all.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreakdays View Post
The PC answer: The newest shape to join the Taylor family unleashes the boldest, richest voice available in a Taylor guitar. Just as the Grand Symphony yields a deeper, more powerful voice than the Grand Auditorium, the Grand Orchestra stands out as a more robust alternative to the Grand Symphony. The GO shape features a slightly bigger footprint and a deeper body, which helps produce a potent low-end response. Under the hood, a new bracing scheme optimizes the movement of the soundboard to produce louder, more complex tone with incredible sustain. What separates the Grand Orchestra from other big-bodied guitars is how balanced the tone is from top to bottom, especially given its brawny bass. And unlike other big-body guitars that require an aggressive attack to get the top moving, the GO is responsive to a light touch, rewarding players who have a dynamic playing style. If you crave a guitar sound that’s brimming with power and rich detail, the Grand Orchestra won’t disappoint. From big cowboy chords to lush fingerstyle arrangements, the Grand Orchestra might be the most expressive and versatile big guitar you ever play.
That's not the PC answer, that's the Copied-from-the-Taylor-Marketing-Department answer.

-----------
Nothing I've heard/read about these guitars would suggest that it makes anything obsolete, not even the jumbo it replaced. Besides, it's a bigger body shape, which some GS players might find too big.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

It hasn't made mine obsolete. If a new body shape you like makes a guitar you love obsolete, maybe it's the player, and not the guitar.

Maybe.

And like the DN, GA, GS, GC and others, I predict - it will still sound like a Taylor, despite the marketing hype.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion