The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM

I love my Bose L1 but I'm finding that my Roland AC-33 is both versatile and has a great sound for a small wedding or small room. So i hae played more gigs/weddings with the Roland this year. Next year, who knows?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Just got a Bose L1 1S that I'm loving. My previous setup and still for larger events I use a Soundcraft EFX8 into 2 JBL PRX612s. And for the smallest of gigs I use the Soundcraft with an old Gallien Kreuger 200MV from the 80's that's still putting out great sound!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM

I have an Allen & Heath ZED10FX and JBL Eon G2's. Great mixer, I wish it had channel or master mutes, though. I like one of the delay/reverb presets on vocal. I get plenty of headroom out of the Eons but would love to try some good 12" speakers; I think the 15's are a bit boomy and indistinct at times.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
I have an Allen & Heath ZED10FX and JBL Eon G2's. Great mixer, I wish it had channel or master mutes, though. I like one of the delay/reverb presets on vocal. I get plenty of headroom out of the Eons but would love to try some good 12" speakers; I think the 15's are a bit boomy and indistinct at times.
It took me a while to find my way around the effects on that mixer, but the delay/reverb setting 2 with a fast tap is pretty nice on vocals. It's still not my favorite mixer, but it gets the job done.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I recently bought a pair of RCF 310a powered speakers. Smaller and 14 lbs lighter than the single 312a I used to use, and I'm finding that either 1 or 2 of them will cover most of the solo or duo/trio gigs I get. I use an A&H ZED10FX with them. Very pleased. Louis
Perfect. If I was moving up from my Soloamp (which has so far served my every need), this is exactly what I would get (except I would get the ZED12FX)... I did a comparison of a bunch of speakers, the top two in my opinion were QSC (32#, $750 ea) and RCF (28#, $450 ea) with very equal performance... RCF wins in my book.

If I wanted effects and/or looping, I would go with the Zoom G3X... seems easiest to use live, high quality, does everything.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Perfect. If I was moving up from my Soloamp (which has so far served my every need), this is exactly what I would get (except I would get the ZED12FX)... I did a comparison of a bunch of speakers, the top two in my opinion were QSC (32#, $750 ea) and RCF (28#, $450 ea) with very equal performance... RCF wins in my book.

If I wanted effects and/or looping, I would go with the Zoom G3X... seems easiest to use live, high quality, does everything.
Why would you get the ZED 12FX over the 10FX?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Why would you get the ZED 12FX over the 10FX?
The ZED12FX just gives me more flexibility... I have learned it never hurts to have an extra channel or two. Sometimes I do Open Mic's with my Soloamp and an 8 channel mixer ... I live in a very small town, but we have a handful of really top notch musicians... the Soloamp is more than satisfactory for the usual 30-60 people who show up. I would upgrade only if I was doing more larger gigs, which would mean more musicians/vocalists needing more inputs to the mix.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM

I used to use a Fishman Soloamp. Very good amp. Very portable too. I switched to a Bose L1 Compact after hearing one, trying the t1 mixer with my Fishman (which works VERY well), and then ultimately getting a Bose compact. The main reason is I wanted the sub because I play solo shows with a foot stomp device for a kick drum type sound, and the Soloamp couldn't deal with it.

Overall I am very happy with the Bose. Extremely clear sounding. I suspect there is a lot more going on with them than meets the eye/ear. I think there is a master compressor/limiter, feedback eliminator, and some kind of tone modelling for acoustic guitars. No proof as Bose does not publish details about their systems, but I have been a recording engineer for a decade and have learned to trust my ears. YMMV.
Larrivée L-02
Larrivée OM-05 Satin
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Guitars:
Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
Fishman Prefix Premium Blend Pickup

Eastman E10SS
Fishman Prefix Premium Blend Pickup

Pedal Board:
TC Electronics Harmony Singer Pedal
Boss OC-3 Octave Pedal
Boomerang III Digital Looper
Aphex Acoustic Xciter Direct Box
Fire-Eye Red-Eye Preamp

Mixers:
Allen & Heath Zed10FX Mixer
QSC Touchmix 16

Vocal Mics:
Heil PR35
Sure Beta 87
Sure Beta 58
Sure SM 57

Speakers:
Three QSC K10 Powered Speakers

Subs:
Yorkville NX720s 15" Subwoofer
EV SB120a 12" Powered Sub (for smaller rooms.)

This is a killer rig for small to medium club gigs. I loop beats that I tap out on my guitar and bass lines with an octave pedal, so I love having the subwoofer in my rig even on smaller gigs. It's not about the volume, it's about the feel.

Last edited by The Kid!; 02-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Ok, I'm 55, still able to lift and carry. So, all last summer, 4 trips to and from car. So, you know the drill, load the car, drive to gig, unload, setup, breakdown, load car, drive home, unload car. Whew!

Daedalus SR823 speakers, gig rack with Pendulum SPS-1, Effects, Hafler amp, speaker stands, two mic stands, small folding table, stool, two guitars, guitar stand, bag,etc.

Needless to say, I lost alot of weight.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

For small gigs, I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist.

If I need something bigger, I use a Carvin XP800L 6 channel powered mixer and 2 Carvin PM12 12" speakers

The Carvin mixer weighs 10 lbs.
The Carvin cabs weigh 29.6 lbs each.
Good sound, light weight.

Those QSC's you have are really good sounding speakers, I would try to utilize those somehow. Best of luck in your shopping.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Cocobologist

Have been using the Bose L1 system for over 10 years with no complaints. Started off with the original L1 and 2x B1 modules and T1. Traded in the original tower a couple years ago for the updated Model II and couldn't be happier. From coffee shops to loud bars, reception halls to outdoor farmers markets, the Bose has done the job without a problem.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Ok, I'm 55, still able to lift and carry. So, all last summer, 4 trips to and from car. So, you know the drill, load the car, drive to gig, unload, setup, breakdown, load car, drive home, unload car. Whew!

Daedalus SR823 speakers, gig rack with Pendulum SPS-1, Effects, Hafler amp, speaker stands, two mic stands, small folding table, stool, two guitars, guitar stand, bag,etc.

Needless to say, I lost alot of weight.
That sounds like a KILLER sounding rig! Well worth the extra effort.

I just added a sub which prompted me to buy a Rock N Roller RT12 Cart. I should have purchased one years ago. One trip in and out with a lot less effort.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
That sounds like a KILLER sounding rig! Well worth the extra effort.

I just added a sub which prompted me to buy a Rock N Roller RT12 Cart. I should have purchased one years ago. One trip in and out with a lot less effort.
Yes, I must invest in a good cart!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 PM

Default system that works for me

I wanted to simplify and get lighter weight and smaller size than my full system. I A/B-ed the SA220 and the Bose Compact extensively and finally decided the Bose suited my voice better. It also worked better with my baritone. But I sure missed the 2 XLRs the SA220 had! With the Bose, I normally carry a small mixer or a preamp so I can use a mic on the 1/4" input. The mixer also works with my duo and my trio, so when they are with me, nothing needs to be added other than more mikes and stands. Incidentally, I use 2 mikes per stand, thanks to a gooseneck. Saves just that much extra weight and expense, less between me and the audience and less to set up too. I rarely need the bigger system, but I still have it.

The larger Bose's made no sense in my situation as they are as heavy as what I already had, and more expensive as well. But the 27 lb. of the Compact made me take notice.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification