The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 PM

I built a 23.5" scale guitar that's 14.5" wide at lower bout, 4" thick body, that still has a nice bass to it with light gauge strings. It is lightly braced. I have built lightly braced longer scale instruments with a smaller box that just don't cut the mustard... I tend to think that there's a minimum volume of air for a flat top steel-string guitar with normal strings, and it's close to a classical guitar's box size. My experience has been that everything just falls apart tone-wise with a smaller air chamber.

I haven't gone lower than 23.5" scale with a normal sized guitar, but I'd bet you could go lower and still get a good tone. If you have a capo you can test this theory pretty easily.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Humanist

Here's what you can do with a 24" scale guitar and mediums in DADGAD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHeChne4sw4
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
happiness

I'm fascinated to read the comments on this, especially yours, Larry, as I know you use a 24" scale as standard. My redwood/walnut parlour has a 24" scale, and I use custom light strings on that, on the recommendation of the builder. It works fine for me - although I mostly play in standard tuning, I have used it for DADGAD as well.

Fliss
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Just saw this thread...
The Prairie State Mini has the 22.875" scale, and a 16" lower, 12" upper and 17" length. Sound is definitely "full size", with a jumbo style bottom end. Strings are .058-.015" and yes, there is a bit of a problem with the bottom E intonation, but I think in future Mini's I might use a split saddle and compensate them. Seems to be good with the A through treble E. I'm still playing with the strings too, but I do like heavier strings...it's a fatter tone. I really like the very short scale, and when my friend Bob tried it with slide, he said "Oh, this is a 14 fret!"
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Just saw this thread...
The Prairie State Mini has the 22.875" scale, and a 16" lower, 12" upper and 17" length. Sound is definitely "full size", with a jumbo style bottom end. Strings are .058-.015" and yes, there is a bit of a problem with the bottom E intonation, but I think in future Mini's I might use a split saddle and compensate them. Seems to be good with the A through treble E. I'm still playing with the strings too, but I do like heavier strings...it's a fatter tone. I really like the very short scale, and when my friend Bob tried it with slide, he said "Oh, this is a 14 fret!"

Thanks for sharing this info, Haans,

I wouldn't have dared to put those gauges on the CA Cargo (22.75" scale), but on a properly braced/adjustable-truss-rod guitar such as in your example, well, why not!

I'll hope to see/hear/play one (or more) of your short-scale instruments at some point in time.

It's great to know that the tonal response was a success. My Larrivées (24") have a standard 1/8" wide saddle (one piece), and with proper set-up (and properly compensated saddle) I've been "good" on the intonation issue. I have 3/16" or 1/4" wide saddles on the guitars I have coming, and this should provide for more than enough front-to-back distance for intonation purposes.

I also much prefer a well-made 21:1 ratio tuner like the full-size Gotoh Delta 510 (added to the PV-09s). The new guitars will have open back Alessi tuners, but also with a 21:1 final ratio...less post-turn per knob-turn with the 21:1s, but greater fine-tuning/accuracy.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Here's what you can do with a 24" scale guitar and mediums in DADGAD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHeChne4sw4
Thank you. That is a beautiful tune.... the guitar sounded great, and your playing was really nice.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Thank you. That is a beautiful tune.... the guitar sounded great, and your playing was really nice.

...it's okay if you like that fingerstyle stuff.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 AM

Larry, as you said, "properly braced". Using heavier strings was part of the idea from the start, and I was happy I could get the real "cables" on it without the instrument self-destructing or sounding like a sled. The X in front of the bridge is starting to telegraph ever so slightly, so I know I'm not too heavy. A 1/4" saddle may work for the intonation, we'll see on the next one. Think it will be white oak...this BRW sustains forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop