The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post

If you want to lend creditability to your argument, the LAST thing you should quote is an over-bloated, inefficient, and completely unnecessary government agency.
The US Forest Products Laboratory is the most credible source for quantitative information about wood and wood products. It is relied on as the best authority by researchers and industry. Without it much information about wood, particularly North American woods, would not be known or available.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-27-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

US forestry (etc) is long on data and short on application. Not unlike a purely technical approach to lutherie, IMO. The data presented earlier in this thread was not presented in a useful context, another analogue to my meaning.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Notwithstanding the merits of the US Forestry, couldn't both of you (Messrs Sexauer and Kepler) make a stable guitar out of most tonewoods (optimally cut and properly dried) that would stand up to the OP's use? Does he really have to choose a specific kind of wood or be overly concerned about it?

Cheers,
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
The US Forest Products Laboratory is the most credible source for quantitative information about wood and wood products. It is relied on as the best authority by researchers and industry. Without it much information about wood, particularly North American woods, would not be available.
Due respect but I disagree. In my opinion, without the USFPL, the free market would provide such information in far more efficient and equitable manner Mr Klepper, you're entitled to your view, which I'm sure is a common one in Berkeley.

Last edited by rlouie; 12-27-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: political
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have three times been commissioned to make guitars for "challenged humidity situations", and in two of those cases I have chosen to use Honduras Mahogany AND a small guitar. The third, and earlier, time I used Walnut though also on a small guitar. The Walnut became distorted in ways that the Mahogany did not, though to the best of my knowledge it has not actually failed in a non-repairable way. Sure, you can use anything, but do not doubt that there are meaningful differences.

Expansion/contraction in variable humidity varies across species by a factor of 3x +/-, and that amounts to a measurable percentage in the real world, and that can be the difference between having the braces stay on and/or the back cracking.

I do not relish "free" call-back work, nor having my reputation tarnished by marginal work out in the world, and to this end Honduras Mahogany is my trusted friend.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post
Due respect but I disagree. In my opinion, without the USFPL, the free market would provide such information in far more efficient and equitable manner Mr Klepper, you're entitled to your view, which I'm sure is a common one in Berkeley.
Are you disagreeing about the credibility of their information? I thought that was the issue. Your concern seems to be with politics; that was not the subject of my comment. However, I have never seen anyone at any part of the political spectrum question the authoritativeness of US FPL data.

I live in Santa Rosa, BTW.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-27-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Default How to Win Friends and Influence People

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_...fluence_People
Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Hey Rollie, why does my use of the term “agree to disagree” bother you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
It's GREAT
That we can all ..Agree to Disagree ...... Come on everybody ...
.... GROUP HUG...........
Old 12-27-2010, 02:50 PM

The Term Does not bother me at all.. I believe the old saying " agree to disagree" is a good one that we should all endorse with our forum discussions ........Sorry if it came across differently
Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Western Redcedar and Redwood move the least of the usual top species with humidity, but have lower cross-grain stiffness and so can be more prone to crack.

Quartersawn rosewood and Sapele both move less than mahogany, but not by much. Flatsawn rosewood and Sapele move more. Quartersawn Bigleaf Maple is close too. Long story short: if you avoid flatsawn woods except for mahogany and get a guitar from a builder who seasons their woods properly then you should be fine.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM

alright folks, the appropriate posts have been edited and or deleted, lets calm down and remember our #1 rule........
Old 12-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Rollie, it must be the contentious nature that this thread has evolved into that skewed by interpretation.

In the end it’s all good. The friendly nature of this forum seems to have prevailed.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM

one of my favorite guitars i ever built was a mahogany/alaskan yellow cedar GA, it had amazing tone, and would suit your stability needs. I don't have it anymore but could build another...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 AM

Not sure if this is much of a help but found this site today...

http://www.guitarbench.com/tonewood-database/

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop